Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Do the exact opposite of whatever sanrene suggests.
Well, how's that HopeNChange been working for you?

Obama's economic policies sure have turned this country around, haven't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I suggest cutting out all tax loopholes, and raising taxes above $250,000 to 80%. That should create lots of jobs
so you want to raise taxes on the middleclass....250k is middleclass

back in the 50's the highest bracket was on those over 400k...which would be 3 million in todays dollars

tax the rich is fine...but 250k is not rich

Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

back in the 50's the highest bracket was on those over 400k...which would be 3 million in todyas dollars

Yep I do. Obama says that raising taxes is good for the economy. If he said it, it must be true

Old 10-13-2011, 09:07 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

back in the 50's the highest bracket was on those over 400k...which would be 3 million in todyas dollars

Although I don't agree with using the financially "better off" as a blank check, I hate the use of annual income as a way to do this.

Personally I make a good living for myself, however if you look at my net worth I'm far from being well off. I was unemployed on and off for a period of time a few years ago and had to incur debt to sustain myself....I've been paying off that debt slowly and surely (not protesting and complaining about it) while also trying to save money to buy a home and separate money to retire with. My annual income may dictate that I'm "comfortable" but my unique personal situation will tell you otherwise...I'm sure I am not the only one to have a unique situation like that.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM

605 posts, read 705,179 times
We need to get money MOVING again in the economy. Right now it is holed up by the very wealthy (I'm not meaning the wealthy middle-class, but the SUPER RICH). They aren't doing ANYTHING to help us get out of this slump.

We have to get our economy growing and moving BEFORE we can tackle our debt crisis. Once we are growing more than we are losing, we're on the right track.

Therefore, we need more stimulus money into the hands of those who buy goods and services here in the U.S. And I agree with the OP, it needs to be used to purchase American-made products. Once business see they have a higher demand, they will hire more workers to meet that demand, creating more jobs, which in turn, puts more money into the hands of the average [buying] citizen.

The biggest problem is jump-starting this healthy cycle. That's why we need a stimulus, perhaps in stages. Those that will critique it saying "you can't spend your way out of this mess", we kinda have to, since we're so far deep in the hole.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
- Heavily fine and/or close any and all businesses that employ illegal aliens
- Place strict limits on welfare and unemployment

There ya go: Tons of jobs available and tons of people who will do them or be out on the street.

Quote:
We need to get money MOVING again in the economy. Right now it is holed up by the very wealthy (I'm not meaning the wealthy middle-class, but the SUPER RICH). They aren't doing ANYTHING to help us get out of this slump.

Illegal aliens send their money home to Mexico regularly instead of stimulating our economy.
That is a fact, and if you aren't aware of this you either have your head in the sand or look the other way
on Fridays when you're at the post office in a town that employs them.

Just another reason to get rid of them.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
- Heavily fine and/or close any and all businesses that employ illegal aliens
- Place strict limits on welfare and unemployment

There ya go: Tons of jobs available and tons of people who will do them or be out on the street.

Illegal aliens send their money home to Mexico regularly instead of stimulating our economy.
That is a fact, and if you aren't aware of this you either have your head in the sand or look the other way
on Fridays when you're at the post office in a town that employs them.

Just another reason to get rid of them.
Wow, do you REALLY think the amount of money "sent home to Mexico" is on equal footing with the amount of money huge corporations and the SUPER RICH are holding on to? Have you lost your mind???

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Those people that you speak of, some of which are NOT illegal aliens, btw (some are citizens of the United States who are helping family ALL across the world - as many economies are hurting, I hope you know), are 1) working jobs that you probably don't want to do or ever do and 2) are STILL spending here in the U.S. They have to eat, find a place to live, etc.

The HATRED some of you people have towards others is sometimes astonishing.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Wow, do you REALLY think the amount of money "sent home to Mexico" is on equal footing with the amount of money huge corporations and the SUPER RICH are holding on to? Have you lost your mind???
I don't recall saying they were on equal footing. Who's lost their mind now?

It is worth noting, however, that along with paying for their ER visits and traffic crashes and children's education
(and even if the "but the kids are citizens if they're born here" argument comes up, they wouldn't be if their criminal parents didn't drop over the border to birth them)
and countless other costs they incur,
they also do nothing to stimulate our economy.

Reading is fundamental; give it a shot.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I saw an report on one Excellent idea that would create JOBs for Hundreds of Thousands of Americans and maybe far more. The idea is that we as consumers always try to buy and use American made products, which includes everything from building materials, cars, toys and clothing just to mention a few items. This is something that we can all participate in and do our part to help our Nation. Look for American manufactured items when shopping, if a store does not carry a particular item ask the store to start carrying it. It takes little effort and could benefit us all, it is up to us to at least try and do our part.
Do You have any ideas? Who knows if some real good ones are suggested they could be passed on to our Reps and they could help on their end.
That would help, like cradling your arm would help heal a broken arm.

We need to eliminate some burdensome regulations, and reduce taxes in a way to stimulate investment and growth. Federal regulations suck up trillions out of our economy each year. Between government interference, and the tens of thousands of federal regulations and a confusing, punitive tax code, we are preventing economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies