Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was The Best U.S. President From 1900 to present?
McKinley, William 0 0%
Roosevelt, Theodore 18 9.84%
Taft, William H. 0 0%
Wilson, Woodrow 3 1.64%
Harding, Warren 1 0.55%
Coolidge, Calvin 6 3.28%
Hoover, Herbert 0 0%
Roosevelt, Franklin D. 38 20.77%
Truman, Harry 8 4.37%
Eisenhower, Dwight 11 6.01%
Kennedy, John F. 5 2.73%
Johnson, Lyndon 2 1.09%
Nixon, Richard 1 0.55%
Ford, Gerald 0 0%
Carter, Jimmy 2 1.09%
Reagan, Ronald 57 31.15%
Bush, George H.W. 0 0%
Clinton, William J. 17 9.29%
Bush, George W. 13 7.10%
Not Sure 1 0.55%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 AM

76 posts, read 209,172 times

Advertisements

FDR was not perfect, no one is. Yet without him and his courage and his going against the prevailing wind of isolationism, we would not have been prepared for the War. He recognized the danger of facism before most. Social Security was not perfect, but before it, the largest group of people living in poverty were the elderly. It helped prevent social unrest which led to facism in Germany, Italy and most of eastern Europe and political paralysis in the United Kingdom and France. His sucess was taking us through the depression intact and still democratic and then guiding this nation sucessfully through the war. As late as winter 1944-1945 there were those who wanted to make a deal with the facists, but he kept us going and motivated despite the high cost to us in Europe and the Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How do you feel about a president's involvement selling weapons to an enemy state? I think Clinton was a sleaze but I don't think a president's sex-life is anyone's business but his and his wife's. He lied under oath about a matter that should never have been in public question. Like I said, his mistake was not invoking Executive Privilege and refusing comment, that works very well as does "I don't remember".

You can spin it any way you choose, selling weapons to an enemy is the very definiton of treason yet people are willing to just forget about it, no wonder he's the "teflon president". I think that's a very sad order of priorities. Arming an enemy is screwing the entire country. Where's your so called moral standard there?

I think cheating is wrong but that's my personal opinion. And I hardly think Clinton was the first to ever have sex in the White House.
1) I didn't say that I was a Reagan worshiper. You're assuming that.

2) You did EXACTLY what I asked you not to do. You IMMEDIATELY started bashing Republican presidents instead of doing a little introspective research into how you can find ANY of what Bill Clinton did with regards to his "little scandal" appropriate, acceptable, or becoming of a President. So lying under oath is now acceptable if the charges are rediculous??? Are you re-writing the laws now?? And YES, a President is the spokesperson for the ENTIRE NATION. He MUST be held to the HIGHEST of moral standards, at least while in office....

Old 08-30-2007, 07:43 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't understand this at all. I don't believe in adultery and think it was wrong for that reason but that's between him and his wife. But bad because he's the POTUS? I think that's ridiculous! Is a president supposed to abstain for his time in office or are you saying it's only acceptable to have sex in one room? Yeah, give aid and comfort to the enemy and you're fine but have sex out of the bedroom and your're impeachment material.
When you are the leader of the most powerful free nation and a representative of that nation you need to refrain from being an amoral idiot. You're pretending like this was "Just the President having sex" and that I'm denying him that right.... It isn't about the sex, it's about HIS WIFE and his responsibility to at least pretend to care about family values and morals while holding the Presidency.

Again, you deflect this moral scar on the highest office in the land by referring to other Presidencies when I'm 100% sure you'd be the first to say that saying someone else did worse is no excuse for being a moral abomination yourself. I'm not excusing what anyone else did. I'm asking you to condemn what YOUR President did while in office as the moral travesty that it was.... Is anyone perfect??? Do I think Clinton is evil??? No, but I think as PRESIDENT and leader of this country this simply cannot occur. "Just a BJ", "Just a BJ", the Dems tired refrain of "It was just a BJ", no, it was more than that. It was committing adultery IN the White House, WHILE he was President and in one instance WHILE on a business call.... THEN going to the highest court in the land and LYING about it which is called PERJURY and is a pretty MAJOR offense, ESPECIALLY when you're the top executive in the land.

So let's stop, for a moment, comparing "Just a BJ" to the Iran Contra scandal and address how amoral and illegal Bill Clinton's actions were. Perjury is perjury. You want to say perjury doesn't matter if the charges are pretty much bogus, ask Scooter Libby how he feels about that. He wasn't the leak and the prosecuting attorney admitted such and then nails the guy on perjury in a matter of a crime he did not commit....

Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
1) I didn't say that I was a Reagan worshiper. You're assuming that.

2) You did EXACTLY what I asked you not to do. You IMMEDIATELY started bashing Republican presidents instead of doing a little introspective research into how you can find ANY of what Bill Clinton did with regards to his "little scandal" appropriate, acceptable, or becoming of a President. So lying under oath is now acceptable if the charges are rediculous??? Are you re-writing the laws now?? And YES, a President is the spokesperson for the ENTIRE NATION. He MUST be held to the HIGHEST of moral standards, at least while in office....
No question about it. Thanks for the post. As I said too many people have blinders on.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
No question about it. Thanks for the post. As I said too many people have blinders on.

You're 100% correct about too many people having blinders on.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
So let's stop, for a moment, comparing "Just a BJ" to the Iran Contra scandal and address how amoral and illegal Bill Clinton's actions were. Perjury is perjury. You want to say perjury doesn't matter if the charges are pretty much bogus, ask Scooter Libby how he feels about that. He wasn't the leak and the prosecuting attorney admitted such and then nails the guy on perjury in a matter of a crime he did not commit....
Apparently perjury isn't considered too serious by the current administration given its actions in Scooter Fibby's case. I guess your bias prevents you from applying the same standard to those you don't like.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:

You can take all the self-righteous offense you care to but I don't consider facts as bashing. And it doesn't take more than a few seconds of introspection to convince me that aiding an enemy is a much more heinous offense than lying about something that shouldn't be in the public arena in the first place.

The FACT is that a POTUS was involved in arming an enemy, something you seem all too willing to casually overlook. And if convenient amnesia about an action like that is to be considered an acceptable explanation then we're in very deep guano.

Last edited by burdell; 08-30-2007 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
So let's stop, for a moment, comparing "Just a BJ" to the Iran Contra scandal and address how amoral and illegal Bill Clinton's actions were.

You're absolutely correct, there is no comparison between forgetting about aiding an enemy and lying about something which isn't anyone's dang business anyway. As long as it isn't done with taxpayer $$$$$$$$ I don't really give a rat's behind if there's an orgy in the Oval Office everyday, it's none of my business, illicit dealing between an elected official and an enemy state is.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Social Security amounts are also slanted so that the poor get proportionatley more than the middle class. I think that the gov't should give people the chance to withdraw their own funds and let them do what they see fit with it.
You want to undermine the Social Security system by withdrawing the money you pay into it, but then wonder why you will never see that money?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
You want to undermine the Social Security system by withdrawing the money you pay into it, but then wonder why you will never see that money?

I wasn't saying that i wanted to double dip. I a single guy who supports myself with a good work ethic. I don't like the idea of supprting others who live a long time or choose not to work. I've always supported myself and don't need the gov't giving away my hard earned $$ to others. fdr was a scoundrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies