Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

As if the unemployment levels in the "STEM" disciplines are not already too high. This is just a ploy to drop the wages of the technical graduates. It is also designed to change the University from a place of learning any and all to just another trade school designed to provide cheap brain workers to the multinational thieves. I suppose he is going to encourage Florida companies to hire H1b immigrants as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
There is a reason that there are so many little liberal arts colleges popping up. Those majors are cheap to offer.

Science and engineering degrees are expensive. You have to not only offer lab courses, you have to give the professors / instructors a really good reason to be teaching as opposed to being in industry earning good money.

Add to that the fact that not everyone has the aptitude for science / engineering AND there is a distinct anti- science climate that mkes it ok, even cute to be a dummy in things having to do with science. It's no wonder we've lost our competitive edge as a country.

Nice try, Rick, but like most politicians he doesn't have a clue as to how higher education works.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
It's about time somebody did this. The community college in my area is renouned as one of the best. In fact they no longer even call themselves a CC because they have attained the ability to issue 4 year degrees. Since I reside in their jurisdiction they mail me a thick catalog every few months. Of course it is chock full of stuff like 'Gay Whale Yoga studies.'

Recently I was thinking that it would be nice to take some math classes, because even though I was fairly good at it in school, I never went as far as I should have. I took calculus & liner algebra, then stopped. So I looked at the catalog and was surprised to see they had very little math, and pretty much nothing beyond calculus. The bulk of the courses seemed to be remedial-type stuff for people who slept thru their k-12 arithmetic & math. In today's world, why are my tax dollars going to fund gay whale yoga, but not math???!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM

The offer "gay whale yogo" so future business managers will have a well rounded education.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny that a conservative such as yourself suddenly believes that the government is capable of seeing into the future and picking what skills are economically more viable than others. Call it educational central planning if you like, but it certainly has nothing to do with the free market principles that you espouse when it is intellectually convenient.
As Scott points out, the "free market" doesn't have alot of need for anthropology majors. If it did, then it wouldn't be on the chopping block. Florida won't defund aquatic biology, just like Oklahoma won't defund Indian Studies and Texas won't defund petroleum engineering. It makes sense to fund what contributes to your state and defund those that don't during tough economic times. Your analysis of my statement is a strawman.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
There is a reason that there are so many little liberal arts colleges popping up. Those majors are cheap to offer.

Science and engineering degrees are expensive. You have to not only offer lab courses, you have to give the professors / instructors a really good reason to be teaching as opposed to being in industry earning good money.

Add to that the fact that not everyone has the aptitude for science / engineering AND there is a distinct anti- science climate that mkes it ok, even cute to be a dummy in things having to do with science. It's no wonder we've lost our competitive edge as a country.

Nice try, Rick, but like most politicians he doesn't have a clue as to how higher education works.
I really don't understand how your last statement ties in to the rest of your post.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As if the unemployment levels in the "STEM" disciplines are not already too high. This is just a ploy to drop the wages of the technical graduates. It is also designed to change the University from a place of learning any and all to just another trade school designed to provide cheap brain workers to the multinational thieves. I suppose he is going to encourage Florida companies to hire H1b immigrants as well.
Anthropology at the Bachelor's level is about as useful as Pre-Med and Pre-Law at the Bachelors level. One cannot do much with just the Bachelors....a graduate degree is essentially required. How can the government know that a person will seek a graduate degree? It's an expensive risk for the state. If a student is REALLY interested in the degree, they will puruse it wherever it is available.

These days, even a biology/physics/chemistry degree at the BS level will barely get you anywhere. It shows that you have technical/scientific aptitude, but the degree itself does not open up as many doors as one might think. It's a good start, but STEM at the Bachelor's level is not as prosperous s people make them out to be. Grad school is almost a requirement to really get anywhere.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 AM

AGDC - It never was.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ha, ha. That is funny! Err, you are kidding, right? You may be against State funding Education. But you certainly wouldn't be for the State selecting in what disciplines people are educated, I hope.
A good point, how about just getting the state out of it, let taxpayers keep some of their money and let people spend their money as they wish. Stop wasting taxpayer money period.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As Scott points out, the "free market" doesn't have alot of need for anthropology majors. If it did, then it wouldn't be on the chopping block. Florida won't defund aquatic biology, just like Oklahoma won't defund Indian Studies and Texas won't defund petroleum engineering. It makes sense to fund what contributes to your state and defund those that don't during tough economic times. Your analysis of my statement is a strawman.
There was a time when industries would provide scholarships to certain students who showed an aptitude and ability. Why not let employers invest in some of the students they will need for their future workforce?

Or let the industries needing particular types of graduates invest in some of the programs and courses needed to develop them? That way a balance could be achieved, when they need more engineers, they will invest more money into engineering programs, when they need more art majors, they will invest in those programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies