Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times

Advertisements

The Myth of American Exceptionalism - By Stephen M. Walt | Foreign Policy

I've got to agree with a lot of those points. We have a terrible record of human rights violations, supporting human rights violators, and corruption of governments in the mid-East, Central, and South America.

And we have the nerve to lecture the world on freedom, democracy, and human rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

I've got to agree with a lot of those points. We have a terrible record of human rights violations, supporting human rights violators, and corruption of governments in the mid-East, Central, and South America.

And we have the nerve to lecture the world on freedom, democracy, and human rights?
yeah yeah, we're horrible blah blah blah Fox News blah blah Israel blah blah global warming

Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
yeah yeah, we're horrible blah blah blah Fox News blah blah Israel blah blah global warming
What kind of response is that?

There is no disputing facts. I think America is a great country with great intentions. Sometimes those intentions screw everything else up though.

"All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from mistakes." --Winston Churchill.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
I can't really take someone seriously when they write:

Quote:
Americans may be justly proud of their role in creating and defending Israel and in combating global anti-Semitism, but its one-sided policies have also prolonged Palestinian statelessness and sustained Israel's brutal occupation.
I'm mostly to the left but I swear to god that's what's wrong with leftist foreign policy. In his world Americans and Israelis are the bad guys. Meanwhile a brutally sexist, homophobic, backwards Islamic world mired in an idiotic 6th century ideology dreamed up by a lunatic warmongering pedophile is let completely off the hook. The notion of the Palestinians and their suicide bombings and their Jew hatred and their Protocols of the Elders of Zion consitution and their irritating self pity and their walking away from peace and their election of members of leaders who be right at home at KKK meetings or Hitler's Germany as mere innocent victims is absurd and infantilizing.

Forget it.

We may be a deeply flawed place in some ways but we're a damned fine nation in others. Our constitution has stood the test of time far longer than any nation on the face of the earth. Our country has welcomed thousands of foreign nationals, and unlike say Germany, has been willing to let them be fully part of our society if they so choose.

Yes, we need national health insurance and far more taxes on the rich parasites who try to run this country to serve their own greedy and narrow interests. We need less creationism and more science in the schools. We need to get to tough on illegals and shore up the middle class. We need to do more to improve our infrastructure.

But you know what? Last week they announced the Nobel prizes. Who were most of the recipients? Americans, Jews and Israelis. No other nations or group of people came close. Walt can take those stats and shove them up his rear.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:

What type of funky web site is that?

Go there and it tries to print something...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

There is no disputing facts. I think America is a great country with great intentions. Sometimes those intentions screw everything else up though.

"All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from mistakes." --Winston Churchill.
After the war, Winston Churchill said that if he had read Mein Kampf before the war, he would have supported Hitler.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

He also said this,

''You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.''

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I can't really take someone seriously when they write:

I'm mostly to the left but I swear to god that's what's wrong with leftist foreign policy. In his world Americans and Israelis are the bad guys. Meanwhile a brutally sexist, homophobic, backwards Islamic world mired in an idiotic 6th century ideology dreamed up by a lunatic warmongering pedophile is let completely off the hook. The notion of the Palestinians and their suicide bombings and their Jew hatred and their Protocols of the Elders of Zion consitution and their irritating self pity and their walking away from peace and their election of members of leaders who be right at home at KKK meetings or Hitler's Germany as mere innocent victims is absurd and infantilizing.

Forget it.

We may be a deeply flawed place in some ways but we're a damned fine nation in others. Our constitution has stood the test of time far longer than any nation on the face of the earth. Our country has welcomed thousands of foreign nationals, and unlike say Germany, has been willing to let them be fully part of our society if they so choose.

Yes, we need national health insurance and far more taxes on the rich parasites who try to run this country to serve their own greedy and narrow interests. We need less creationism and more science in the schools. We need to get to tough on illegals and shore up the middle class. We need to do more to improve our infrastructure.

But you know what? Last week they announced the Nobel prizes. Who were most of the recipients? Americans, Jews and Israelis. No other nations or group of people came close. Walt can take those stats and shove them up his rear.

You can't pick and choose what you focus on with regards to American foreign policy.

How about the Zetas currently wreaking havoc and killing hundreds and thousands of people in Mexico and Central America?

Zetas......another product of US cold war policy.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
After the war, Winston Churchill said that if he had read Mein Kampf before the war, he would have supported Hitler.
Blind nationalism is a dangerous thing.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
You can't pick and choose what you focus on with regards to American foreign policy.

How about the Zetas currently wreaking havoc and killing hundreds and thousands of people in Mexico and Central America?

Zetas......another product of US cold war policy.
I can do whatever I want. Walt certainly does. For example he whines about Israel and Jews but levels no criticism at all against the Islamic world.

People in every single country in the world have a national flattering narrative about themselves. So what? Why are we supposed to be so evil for it?

His narrative of "Americans can't do anything right" is just as unconvincing as those who argue the very opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies