Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It may not be science but it references very good facts and ideas and I'd want children reading it at the appropriate age. You talk as if these ideas are bad which is astonishing to me. Are you visiting from the 12th century?

You oppose Fed involvement in Education, which to me is utter nonsense. This doesn't mean I approve everything it's currently doing, but I want educational standards to be set at the federal level, not by some local board hijacked by neocons, anti-education types, Christians pushing a religious agenda, liberals with a single dominating agenda, or others. We either teach the facts to everyone's child in equal measure, or burn the flag because there won't be much of a country left.

People like you who turn your back on public education do a tremendous disservice to your country. Just like those who oppose the government, you turn your back on it, ignore it, and thereby let it be all the things you despise. Conveniently forgotten is the power at your disposal to do something about it because it (government, public education, etc) is collectively OURS. When you turn your back on something all of us own and contribute to, you insult everyone else. You divide. You break apart. You destroy.

I will never understand how the supreme selfishness of conservative thinking escapes their attention.

And what the frick is so bad about social activism? Do you want your kids to just sit there like lumps and do nothing? You don't want them solving our problems because you don't want to inform them what they are? Please, keep your idiotic opinion of education to yourself because it exposes a big hole. Quick, we need a roll of yellow caution tape to keep everybody else from falling in.
I don't know which is more disturbing considering the fact that you identify yourself as a public school teacher - your incredible arrogance or the fact that you seem completely unaware of the huge political issues surrounding man made global warming. I guess they go hand in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I haven't seen this type of social activism in my daughter's public school until this year. She's a sophomore in high school. In addition, she wants to go on to obtain her PhD in the biological sciences, specifically marine sciences. I, of course, encourage this. So, for her, her fundamental base classes in science, such as biology, are very important to her future successes.

This year, she has a very, very liberal Biology teacher. She knows he's very, very liberal because he's said so in class several times. Even though the state cirriculum has disection as part of the course, her teacher is refusing to teach any disection because he said that he doesn't want to be a part of "hurting" animals. Now he is affecting my daughter's fundamentals in science with his beliefs. This is not the place or the time for him to push his own political beliefs. How can such actions be defended? I believe they cannot. When people talk of the slippery slope of social activism in the schools, the aforementioned example is a prime example.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
And the same people who believe this, are opposed to the evidence of global warming!
What evidence?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Great idea, you don't want her mind corrupted by the likes of Plato, Darwin, Freud, Socrates, and Newton.
and just what makes you think that she isn't teaching her child all of these, as well as Shakespear, Hemmingway, Emerson and Thoreau? Most home school programs have specific curriculum. Obviously you have no idea what home education consists of, and you probably would also be shocked to learn that most home schooled children excel beyond their peers in the public schools when they advance to the university systems.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
and just what makes you think that she isn't teaching her child all of these, as well as Shakespear, Hemmingway, Emerson and Thoreau? Most home school programs have specific curriculum. Obviously you have no idea what home education consists of, and you probably would also be shocked to learn that most home schooled children excel beyond their peers in the public schools when they advance to the university systems.
They refuse to believe that public school students are way behind the learning curve of the homeschooled student. To admit that would admit failure to their teaching agenda.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:43 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They refuse to believe that public school students are way behind the learning curve of the homeschooled student. To admit that would admit failure to their teaching agenda.
You mean much like most homeschooled parents refuse to believe that some public school kids are actually pretty smart? They're normally too busy putting down those kids and calling them stupid (in so many words)to notice that. It's very off putting to those who don't homeschool.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:22 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
If any of you have trouble with what is being taught in your local school, contact your local school board of trustees. Teachers do not write and approve textbooks. My state does have a role in the creation of some of the books. Books are selected and purchased by the state agency over public education. In Texas, that is a conservative group of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies