Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times

Advertisements

1. If it's MANDATORY, then it'll just be included in the bill. And that probably won't be a restaurant on my short list of places to go after work on Friday.

2. For years, I've given a tip in the 15% range. Since sales tax in Texas is (outrageously) 8.25%, I normally just look at what the tax is on the receipt and double that amount for the tip, which equals 16.5%.

I never feel like a cheapskate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
If I get excellent service, excellent tip, crappy service, crappy tip, bad service/bad food, no tip...

If these poor overworked underpaid waiters and waitresses need more money the establishment should raise their salaries

There's are reasons I'll never visit LA-LA land, this just adds to my list...

Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If these poor overworked underpaid waiters and waitresses need more money the establishment should raise their salaries

There's are reasons I'll never visit LA-LA land, this just adds to my list...
You make no sense.

Isn't that basically what they are doing? Raising the price in order to raise the salary?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You make no sense.

Isn't that basically what they are doing? Raising the price in order to raise the salary?
Every restaurant I go to when I pay the bill is this:

Meals _____________
Tip _____________

Total _____________

They are saying

Tip _____________ (25%)

They are not saying

Meals _____________ (Includes 25% tip)

Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Every restaurant I go to when I pay the bill is this:

Meals _____________
Tip _____________

Total _____________

They are saying

Tip _____________ (25%)

They are not saying

Meals _____________ (Includes 25% tip)
Sure. But it amounts to the exact same thing.

The format of the bill seems like a silly reason to refuse to go to a restaurant.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I always tip 20-25 (sometimes 30) whenever I go out to drink or eat. Waiting is a very $hi*ty job, and they don't even make minimum wage, so their money comes from tips.

I don't agree with making it mandatory, and even if it has to be mandatory, 25% seems like a lot to make someone pay.

Your info doesn't apply here. Minimum wage in SF is $9.92/hr and applied to everyone, including restaurant workers. Granted, $9.92/hr won't rent a roach infested room in a residence hotel in the Tenderloin due to the extraordinarily high cost of living in the Bay Area, but the city minimum wage law applies. The California state minimum wage is presently $8.00/ hr.

Before you folks from low minimum states start loading up the truck, you're probably better off right where you are. Everything in CA, and especially San Francisco is far more expensive. I know there are places in the US where $10/hr can support a family of four in relative comfort but in SF it won't support an individual.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Sure. But it amounts to the exact same thing.

The format of the bill seems like a silly reason to refuse to go to a restaurant.
One is optional, the other is not.

I'm sure you know the difference between the two.

If a tip is mandatory it's not a tip, it's a service.

This type of shenanigans is BS but to be expected in the west coast LA-LA world of San Francisco...

Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I was taught that a tip to a restaurant server should reflect the quality of the service and is entirely voluntary on the part of the patron, as the usual low base pay of the server is an issue between that person and the restaurant.

San Francisco restaurants thinks differently:

San Francisco Restaurants Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

Well, hey, let's include fast-food workers, too, to be fair. And bar servers who hand you your drink.

Yes, I was a waitress for several years. This trend does not sit well with me and it would affect my choosing to dine out, if I lived in SF.
I've tipped anywhere from a penny to $50. It tall depends on service.

A few months ago we went out to a steak chain. The food was HORRIBLE. The steak tasted like they left it in the freezer for two weeks, unwrapped.

I had the waitress take a close look at it. She saw it right away. She went to her manager and asked her to waive the bill. It was edible I guess, just horrible.

So we ate a little of the food cause we were hungry. I'd say 50%. The bill with drinks should've been $100, but we paid nothing.

So since we ate about half, and the waitress took care of things no questions asked, she got a $50 tip.

Then there was this time my wife ordered rice on the side. The meal came, and it wasn't there. We asked "is the rice coming". She said "I'll go get it".
40 minutes later she comes by and asks if we want dessert. Fine, I'll play along. "No, we're ok, just the check thanks."

WITH the check she brings the rice, lol. Gimme a break. No apology, nothing. We paid for it too.

I asked my wife "Do you have a shiny new penny in your purse?"

...and I made sure to clear a spot right in the middle of the table, and put it right there as we were leaving.

You get paid for what you work for. A tip is not a right, it's a reward.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Your info doesn't apply here. Minimum wage in SF is $9.92/hr and applied to everyone, including restaurant workers. Granted, $9.92/hr won't rent a roach infested room in a residence hotel in the Tenderloin due to the extraordinarily high cost of living in the Bay Area, but the city minimum wage law applies. The California state minimum wage is presently $8.00/ hr.

Before you folks from low minimum states start loading up the truck, you're probably better off right where you are. Everything in CA, and especially San Francisco is far more expensive. I know there are places in the US where $10/hr can support a family of four in relative comfort but in SF it won't support an individual.
That really sucks, the best places are also always the worst in some way lol.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I always tip 20-25 (sometimes 30) whenever I go out to drink or eat. Waiting is a very $hi*ty job, and they don't even make minimum wage, so their money comes from tips.

I don't agree with making it mandatory, and even if it has to be mandatory, 25% seems like a lot to make someone pay.
Hmmm I was a waiter during undergrad. I was able to pay for school, apt, car etc and graduated with minimal debt. It wasn't that bad it allowed me to be independent and it was also an eye opening experience in regards to the entitlement ethos of an oft discussed group on here.

A group which before this experience I had an immense affinity for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies