Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets see....

Agreed service: kid mows my lawn (and cleans up driveway and sidewalks which are not part of the agreement)... TIP

Agreed service: My mechanic fixes "the problem" and makes another fix for free (not part of our agreement)... TIP

Agreed service: Hire someone to paint my home and paints detached garage with leftover paint for no additional cost (not part of our agreement)... TIP

Shall I continue?
Please don't.

Not until you see the difference between your examples and a waiter/waitress

Quote:
Europe and the United States: apples and oranges, oil and water...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
There are lots of $shi*ty jobs, should we all get also be in solidarity with ditch diggers also getting more due to their job sucking?

And them not even making minimum wage doesn't matter, the majority make well above it and some servers manage to have a fairly good lifestyle off their take home income.
Wait staff are no longer the peasants of the 18 century. I think the employers get away with paying their employees way too little,
expecting the customer to pick up the tab.

I was a waitress in college and made extraordinary tips.
I'm an excellent customer because of it.
I don't complain, never demanding, and I pick up after myself - a habit of clearing my own table sort o speak

With the price of entrees at an upscale eatery/club, 25 percent is a
stretch. I don't need to prove to the staff I can afford it
or deserve to be there.

I'm turned off by establishments that have mandatory tipping and try to avoid
them.... even if the food is to die for, Except....

Forget the tipping... there are restaurants in NO/Gulf Coast that I would commit a criminal offense just to eat there

Last edited by pollyrobin; 10-14-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 12:37 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
No, if that were to happen, the quality of service would decline because that would mean the waitress would know they'll get a tip regardless of their behavior.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I was taught that a tip to a restaurant server should reflect the quality of the service and is entirely voluntary on the part of the patron, as the usual low base pay of the server is an issue between that person and the restaurant.

San Francisco restaurants thinks differently:

San Francisco Restaurants Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

Well, hey, let's include fast-food workers, too, to be fair. And bar servers who hand you your drink.

Yes, I was a waitress for several years. This trend does not sit well with me and it would affect my choosing to dine out, if I lived in SF.

My mother was a waitress her entire life. It's one of the hardest jobs out there but I still agree that service has gone down hill over the past ten years or so. My mother made a great living, easily more than some of her friends with professional jobs and ever some with college degrees. She always took care of her customers regardless of how bad her day was going and for that she was tipped well.

Other waitress in the same restaurant would barely make enough to pay their bills and would constantly complain about their tips. Problem was their attitude was poor.

As for the mandatory 25%. I do not support it and would avoid restaurants that do it. Same way I avoid places that put a mandatory tip if your party exceeds a certain number of people. Your pay is not guaranteed. It's earned.

And for the record. Due to my mother being a waitress her entire life I'm one of the biggest tippers around. We had a meal at TGI Fridays a couple of nights ago and the young lady was great and I left her $15 on a $30 meal.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Having worked in F and B for 15 or so years(back of the house,where the real work occurs),wait staff don't actually have it that bad...

They are paid min. wage,they cannot make less than min. wage.
If their tips amount to less,their employer must pay the difference.

Watching the wait staff counting their money AFTER service was quite eye opening to say the least,especially when you witnessed how even when in the weeds they had time for smoke breaks( or coke breaks-restaurant work being one of those areas with the highest drug use) and having conversations...all the while the kitchen is working in 100+ degrees.

Yes,cry me a river wait staff....

So glad to be done with that part of my life.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Figures this latest nonsense would come from the Land of Liberal Entitlement, San Francisco. The service industry is pushing for higher mandatory tips so they won't have to pay their workers a decent living wage, causing the workers to become more and more dependent on tips.

Fight back and leave only a tip you feel is appropriate for the service you received. That's the whole point of tipping, not to subsidize somebody's wages.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
I was taught that a tip to a restaurant server should reflect the quality of the service and is entirely voluntary on the part of the patron, as the usual low base pay of the server is an issue between that person and the restaurant.

San Francisco restaurants thinks differently.
I guess I won't be eating in San Fransisco when I go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Back when the "standard" was 10%, the service seemed much better.
When was that? As far as I know, it was always 15%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Your info doesn't apply here. Minimum wage in SF is $9.92/hr and applied to everyone, including restaurant workers.
Then why are they getting tips?

The theory is that waitstaff is paid less than minimum wage as are bussers in order to enhance customer service.

After class I'd run down to the restaurant, work the 3 PM - 7 PM slot and walk out with $50-$60 in tips in my pocket, about $12-$15/hour and that didn't even count the $2.65/hour I got.

Quote:
I wonder if restaurant owners and managers are aware of the blatant racism of such sites as this:

Service Industry Blog - iGotStiffed.com

With blog entries on:

"creepy, stinky Mexicans"
"black people don't tip"
"damn kids and their parents"
"big fat ghetto b*tches"
I never served Mexicans or Hispanics, because none lived in my area. My experience with Blacks is that they actually tip slightly higher. Tired old skins often don't tip, and if they do it's the standard $1. I usually attributed that to the fact that they are senile and know not what they are doing. I noticed really young couples with children didn't tip. I have a very good memory, so those that don't tip just didn't get any extra service in the future.

I had a table full of 8 lesbians that ran me to death once. It was obvious they were trying to make sport of me. For a tip, the left a business card which proudly proclaimed, "Your business has been patronized by Lesbians."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You punish the server for what the kitchen is responsible for? Why cant you open your mouth and say something about the food?
That would be the smart thing to do, and that's what managers are for. It would also be the responsible thing to do, as there is a definite problem that management needs to be made aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets see....

Agreed service: kid mows my lawn (and cleans up driveway and sidewalks which are not part of the agreement)... TIP

Agreed service: My mechanic fixes "the problem" and makes another fix for free (not part of our agreement)... TIP

Agreed service: Hire someone to paint my home and paints detached garage with leftover paint for no additional cost (not part of our agreement)... TIP

Shall I continue?

Europe and the United States: apples and oranges, oil and water...
I've tipped hairdressers before. I've tipped movers, too. They moved my stuff quickly without damage, and put everything where I wanted it, so I gave them $20 and told them them to get a cold beer and a hot lunch at the tavern down the way.

If I went to a restaurant that had a mandatory 25% tipping, then I expect stellar service and anything less than stellar service would require the manager to visit my table and explain in gory detail why service was not stellar and I would expect to have my meal in gratuit, and if that wasn't forthcoming from the manager, then I would politely advise him that my review of this restaurant will be posted on the internet shortly.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Figures this latest nonsense would come from the Land of Liberal Entitlement, San Francisco. The service industry is pushing for higher mandatory tips so they won't have to pay their workers a decent living wage, causing the workers to become more and more dependent on tips.

What's the difference if the restaurant charges an extra 25% for the meal that they then give to the wait staff as a wage?

All that I can think of is that the restaurant doesn't have to report that as income and pay tax on it.

Quote:
leave ... a tip you feel is appropriate for the service you received. That's the whole point of tipping, not to subsidize somebody's wages.
Agreed.

Get rid of the minimum wage exemption that the restaurant industry currently enjoys and let tips be for exceptional service as they were intended.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
At risk of being labeled a 'leftist europhile', I certainly agree with the European method on this. In the parts of Europe that I have visited, wait staff are paid an actual wage and any tipping is the result of exceptional service.

The US method is ridiculous.

What other service are you allowed to decide payment for after the service has been completed?

If I hire someone to shingle my house I can't just decide to pay only for materials because he was rude.
I think Republicans tend to prefer the tipping system because it gives them an opportunity to treat people like slaves.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
[quote=stonecypher5413;21282547]I was taught that a tip to a restaurant server should reflect the quality of the service and is entirely voluntary on the part of the patron, as the usual low base pay of the server is an issue between that person and the restaurant.

San Francisco restaurants thinks differently:

San Francisco Restaurants Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

Well, hey, let's include fast-food workers, too, to be fair. And bar servers who hand you your drink.

Yes, I was a waitress for several years. This trend does not sit well with me and it would affect my choosing to dine out, if I lived in SF.[/QUOTE

I worked in food and beverage for years
and no, I will not tip if the service is bad
why should I?
It's my money and if a wait person wants some of it, they will have to earn it
just like I used to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies