U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,681,958 times

Advertisements

Just wait a short time.. When hyper inflation kicks in a loaf of bread will cost $500 so you can just eliminate everything smaller than a $50 and round that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 AM

11,073 posts, read 27,468,406 times
Wow Canada has had the loonie 30 plus years now and also have the $2 coin the toonie since 1996

this is easy to put in pop machine than a doller bill

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM

13,146 posts, read 8,239,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Forget the dollar coin. Mint $5, $ 10 and $20 dollar coins. People would use them and they'd last forever. Impossible to counterfeit except by foreign powers and they can do that with paper currency anyway. There's a reason they don't. Maybe because it would be too hard to influence the money supply by printing. Just make the $20 coin the size of an older silver dollar, the $10 coin the size of a half dollar and the $5 coin larger than a quarter.
I think that is a very good idea. As history has shown, people simply have not liked any of the one dollar coins (I guess Susan B. Anthony was the first I was aware of, which was virtually the same size as a quarter), but I think trying out other denominations is worth a try.

I happened to be in England when they changed over to the one-pound coin. Some people grumbled at first (you always have people who grumble over any type of change), but it caught on well. I do like the British one-pound coin: very easy to 'feel' and distinguish from other coins in your pocket.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,079,746 times
I'd keep the bill. Drinking in countries with dollar coins is just annoying. You end up with pocket fulls of change.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM

14,255 posts, read 17,218,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I think that is a very good idea. As history has shown, people simply have not liked any of the one dollar coins (I guess Susan B. Anthony was the first I was aware of, which was virtually the same size as a quarter), but I think trying out other denominations is worth a try.

I happened to be in England when they changed over to the one-pound coin. Some people grumbled at first (you always have people who grumble over any type of change), but it caught on well. I do like the British one-pound coin: very easy to 'feel' and distinguish from other coins in your pocket.
It was Margaret Thatcher that got rid of one pound notes. At the time she admitted that, emotionally, she did not want to but that, rationally, it made far more economic sense to replace notes with coins. The UK now has a 2 pound coin as well. The Swiss have a 5 franc coin (around $5.50) and there are 2 Euro coins as well.

It is only a problem if you give people a choice. If they have a choice they will resist change. If they have no choice they will get on with it and get used to it.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM

11,073 posts, read 27,468,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'd keep the bill. Drinking in countries with dollar coins is just annoying. You end up with pocket fulls of change.
So Your ok if it cost more money to literally make more money

Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM

12,466 posts, read 7,182,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Forget the dollar coin. Mint $5, $ 10 and $20 dollar coins. People would use them and they'd last forever. Impossible to counterfeit except by foreign powers and they can do that with paper currency anyway. There's a reason they don't. Maybe because it would be too hard to influence the money supply by printing. Just make the $20 coin the size of an older silver dollar, the $10 coin the size of a half dollar and the $5 coin larger than a quarter.
Nonsense ... coins are far easier to counterfeit than the elaborate and intricate anti-counterfeiting measures employed in paper money.

There isn't a metallurgist worth his salt that couldn't take any coin and make a copy in his garage.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

12,466 posts, read 7,182,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It was Margaret Thatcher that got rid of one pound notes. At the time she admitted that, emotionally, she did not want to but that, rationally, it made far more economic sense to replace notes with coins. The UK now has a 2 pound coin as well. The Swiss have a 5 franc coin (around $5.50) and there are 2 Euro coins as well.

It is only a problem if you give people a choice. If they have a choice they will resist change. If they have no choice they will get on with it and get used to it.
Or, one could view this as a confession that the money isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM

10 posts, read 8,201 times
I think that the government should do away with the dollar coin because they look like quarters and take up too much space....

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,403,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
See this link : Dollar coin? It's time - latimes.com

The government could cut spending by replacing the dollar bill with a dollar coin. If they choose not to, they should eliminate the dollar coin altogether. Currently the treasury has vaults of excess dollar coins nobody wants.

We need to be a nation with either a dollar bill or dollar coin, having both does not work.
Instead of deleting the dollar bill, why don't they stop making the penny and round every price to the nearest nickel?? I'm so tired of having my purse or levi pockets become heavy cuz of the darn things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies