Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

Time for corporate america to pay up!

The issue of corporate tax participation has become especially pressing in recent years, as the country struggles to manage its ballooning deficits. Corporate taxes for non-financial companies have fallen more than 13 percent since 2007, according to Bloomberg. At the same time, the national debt grew to $15.23 trillion from $9.13 trillion -- a number larger than the economy itself.
According to a recent analysis of nearly 300 Fortune 500 companies by the Citizens for Tax Justice, the average company was paying just 18.3 percent in taxes -- a little more than half the official rate. And by using techniques like industry subsidies, stock option packages, and moving assets overseas where they can't be taxed, 30 companies mentioned in the report -- including Wells Fargo, Verizon, Boeing and General Electric -- didn't pay a cent in federal taxes in 2008, 2009 or 2010, the report found.
The phenomenon affects state income taxes as well as federal. Last month, another study from the Center for Tax Justice found that corporate tax avoidance had cost states a combined $42.7 billion between 2008 and 2010 -- a period when budget shortfalls forced states to cut spending for health care, public schools and care for the elderly and disabled.

Over Two-Thirds Of Corporations Pay No Federal Corporate Income Tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Deadbeats

Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Not one in Congress has talked about corporate tax rates so I guess nothing will happen.
Instead they will get it from that $200K/year mid level manager.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
There are taxes paid, but they are paid by the individual owners/investors, not the corporation.

The rate of this type of corporation has grown, I predict because its easier to hide profits by individualizing them, but mainly because the number of small businesses have grown.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
oh you meen like those that got BHO elected?
Donations To Obama | Big donors get behind Obama - Los Angeles Times
Democrats Rake In Record Donations From Corporations - ABC News
Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are taxes paid, but they are paid by the individual owners/investors, not the corporation.

The rate of this type of corporation has grown, I predict because its easier to hide profits by individualizing them, but mainly because the number of small businesses have grown.
Supreme court ruled that corporations have the same rights as people. With rights come responsibilities. They can't have it both ways, pay up.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Time for corporate america to pay up!

The issue of corporate tax participation has become especially pressing in recent years, as the country struggles to manage its ballooning deficits. Corporate taxes for non-financial companies have fallen more than 13 percent since 2007, according to Bloomberg. At the same time, the national debt grew to $15.23 trillion from $9.13 trillion -- a number larger than the economy itself.
According to a recent analysis of nearly 300 Fortune 500 companies by the Citizens for Tax Justice, the average company was paying just 18.3 percent in taxes -- a little more than half the official rate. And by using techniques like industry subsidies, stock option packages, and moving assets overseas where they can't be taxed, 30 companies mentioned in the report -- including Wells Fargo, Verizon, Boeing and General Electric -- didn't pay a cent in federal taxes in 2008, 2009 or 2010, the report found.
The phenomenon affects state income taxes as well as federal. Last month, another study from the Center for Tax Justice found that corporate tax avoidance had cost states a combined $42.7 billion between 2008 and 2010 -- a period when budget shortfalls forced states to cut spending for health care, public schools and care for the elderly and disabled.

Over Two-Thirds Of Corporations Pay No Federal Corporate Income Tax
I don't read a lot of HuffPo but can you tell me if they mentioned the fact that if those corporations did pay income taxes they would charge the consumers more for their goods and services to make up for their "loss". I guess it is alright for us to get to pay more so the government can collect more in taxes but I don't like it.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Who needs to go offshore?

The United States is the biggest corporate tax haven in the world.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Supreme court ruled that corporations have the same rights as people. With rights come responsibilities. They can't have it both ways, pay up.
If they pay up they will raise their prices to consumers. Now surely you can see that we get to pay their taxes for them. Right?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't read a lot of HuffPo but can you tell me if they mentioned the fact that if those corporations did pay income taxes they would charge the consumers more for their goods and services to make up for their "loss". I guess it is alright for us to get to pay more so the government can collect more in taxes but I don't like it.
Basic economics 101, price = supply and demand. If corporations could charge more and get away with it, they would have done it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies