Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Can we please balkanize the USA, I can't live with you idiots anymore.
no we cant balkanize the US, but you can move to another country. perhaps you would find north korea, or cuba, more to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The death penalty is too kind. There are other uses for monsters. Execution should only be allowed when the victims' survivors decide the criminal has suffered enough and should be granted the mercy of death. If the monster managed to wipe out the entire family and there are no survivors... well... I suspect even today there could be much learned by medical researchers through vivisection. It would also have the advantage of real world live subjects for medical experimentation and would end the need for animal testing and the obvious errors made due to the vast differences between humans and rodents (quadrupedal of course).
i agree, the death penalty as currently executed is too kind. people who get the death penalty should receive the same kind of execution they gave their victims. if you raped and then set someone on fire, and watched them burn to death, then you too should receive punishment in the same manner.

i dont mind death penalty cases taking time, there is good reason for it. but at some point the sentence must be carried out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Human beings get things wrong occasionally. Even when trying really hard. That makes it kindof imporant not to impose irreversible penalties. You can let a man out of prison, but you can't do much with a dead man.

Also, you should never set a punishment without remembering the chance that it will be applied to yourself in error. You have no special protection from a vengeful ex, lazy cop or prosecutor out to make a name for himself as being "tough on crime".

Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embla View Post
US: The only Western Country besides Belarus.

Just stop that. I send letters to Obama and recommend everybody else to do so. It's unacceptable and it's cruel. Stop it.

I hope it was a strongly worded letter

Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,337 times
Default Best process IMO....

Where there is no doubt as to the guilt of the defendant....such as Joseph Smith when he raped and murdered 12 year old Carlie Brucia after taking her from a carwash in Florida and caught on video tape...

the verdict should be read, and that defendant should be taken outside the courthouse..into the middle of the street... where a large man with an aluminum baseball bat beats him until he has died.

that is what animals like Joseph Smith deserve..>ESPECIALLY the ones who rape and murder children. there should be no appeals process for anyone who commits that type of crime and where there is NO DOUBT as to guilt. I don't give a damn is he was on drugs....if he has a brain tumor that causes him to behave like an animal....or ANY circumstances he may want to use to explain his crime...There are no excuses in my book.

Public execution as brutal as that would send a message to others to not ACT on their impulses...but to seek HELP before they do something that could earn them the same end.

As for others on death row? I think with the advent of DNA testing and such, we can be sure that the ones convicted these days are guilty. there should be 1 year to appeal the case and then get it over with.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It comes down to two types of people, those who commit crimes on the spur of the moment, or I guess maybe the "heat of passion" and those people are not thinking of the consequences, so no deterrents exist. The other type believes that they are genius, and that they are smarter and more intelligent and can beat the system, so no deterrents exist for them.
No, there's a third type.

This would be the person who commits a crime out of a convinced genuine belief that his motive is of good intention.

These are the most difficult to resolve, especially when the perp is empowered.

During recess, Mogi, the Government attorney, was looking down at his notes to prepare his questions for cross-examining the next witness.

Judge Borwick stared intently at Mogi while advising him about the importance that Mogi's kids be taught to start a savings account at an early age.

Mogi looked away from the judge with a grimace, then continued working on his notes, which the judge interpreted as a showing of contempt for the judge's advice.

"Pay attention when I'm talkin' to ya, boy!"

Both Mogbeyi Omatete and the Appellant suffered from this perceived slight against the judge.

There was hell to pay for both sides.

Last edited by ergohead; 10-17-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Human beings get things wrong occasionally. Even when trying really hard. That makes it kindof imporant not to impose irreversible penalties. You can let a man out of prison, but you can't do much with a dead man.

Also, you should never set a punishment without remembering the chance that it will be applied to yourself in error. You have no special protection from a vengeful ex, lazy cop or prosecutor out to make a name for himself as being "tough on crime".
Then let's just abolish all laws and prosecute no one because there's a chance we could be wrong. I mean when some guy has a rough day and mutilates and tortures the family next door by accident, lets not be too freaking hasty to bring the hammer down, eh. He might be salvageable.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
My opinion is that if someone kills someone else the suspect should be killed.
A eye for a eye.

That being said there should always be "no doubt about it evidence".

It's cruel to kill a innocent person, I don't think it's cruel to make the suspect responsible for their actions.
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Just wondering what ever happened to the op. No comentary on the position? No additional posts.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No, there's a third type.

This would be the person who commits a crime out of a convinced genuine belief that his motive is of good intention.

These are the most difficult to resolve, especially when the perp is empowered.

During recess, Mogi, the Government attorney, was looking down at his notes to prepare his questions for cross-examining the next witness.

Judge Borwick stared intently at Mogi while advising him about the importance that Mogi's kids be taught to start a savings account at an early age.

Mogi looked away from the judge with a grimace, then continued working on his notes, which the judge interpreted as a showing of contempt for the judge's advice.

"Pay attention when I'm talkin' to ya, boy!"

Both Mogbeyi Omatete and the Appellant suffered from this perceived slight against the judge.

There was hell to pay for both sides.
Judge Borwick is a white, bleeding-heart, liberal, cracker!

Last edited by ergohead; 10-17-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
We can compromise. Organ harvesting. We induce coma on these convicted murderers and harvest their organs as needed. We allow them to give something back to the society that they abused.
Its such a waste to throw away those useful parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies