Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If anyone can be said to be not paying enough in taxes, it's a majority of those who currently pay no federal income tax whatsoever.
Whatsoever? FICA taxes they do pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There's the spirit! Spare the rich! Raise taxes on the poor and middle class! Single moms! The elderly! Yes!
Raise taxes? I'd settle for them paying something, however little. When you have two candidiates running for office and one is more prone to raising taxes, what makes any voter in an effective zero tax bracket think twice about whom to vote for? What skin is it off their nose if someone else's taxes go up? Everyone should pay at least something in taxes so that every voter has skin in the game.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Whatsoever? FICA taxes they do pay.
And sales taxes. I specified federal income tax.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
I will murder them. Direct paycheck withdrawls, employer taxes, i.e. matching social security, corporate income, etc., property taxes, inflation, sales tax, gas taxes, ''sin'' taxes, not to mention everything you purchase has all these hidden taxes passed on in the cost of the item. I figured the average employed person probably has somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-80% of their livelihood stripped away through taxation. That is immoral to take so much fruit of one's labor involuntarily and it must stop.
I think it's more immoral to murder someone for saying you don't pay enough taxes. But then again, I'm not a modern US conservative.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Why should 'sin' be taxed any more than any other activity? I thought there was seperation of church and state in this country?
Agreed. But it's the terminology that's bad-- Not the idea. Smoking costs society an immeasurable amount of money in health care, lost productivity, etc. It should be taxed to the extreme.

Quote:
Inflation most certainly is a tax when government borrows to the hilt and then monetizes the debt by making the dollar (that is, your dollar and mine) less valuable to us. Buy yourself an economics text. It'll open you eyes.
I'm not an economist. But I'll take your word for it if you can show me the line on your taxes that says "inflation." The OP claimed that American's paid as much as 80% in taxes and listed inflation along with Corporate taxes and inflation. I'd like him to back up those claims.

Quote:
When you add federal, state, city, and personal income tax, property tax, both halves of social security, medicare/medicaid taxes, sales taxes, tolls and user fees to government for things ostensibly already paid for by taxes, you most certainly arrive at a figure over 50% of income.
I don't and I pay that rate. I own a corporation with employees. I guess I need to give my account a bonus-- Not to mention that the OP was claiming 75-80%. Were is your argument with his/her figures? I don't consider the income taxes and social security that comes out of their check MY burden. It's theirs. To say otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-17-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Removed response to now-removed comment

Old 10-15-2011, 10:08 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Raise taxes? I'd settle for them paying something, however little. When you have two candidiates running for office and one is more prone to raising taxes, what makes any voter in an effective zero tax bracket think twice about whom to vote for? What skin is it off their nose if someone else's taxes go up? Everyone should pay at least something in taxes so that every voter has skin in the game.
They have skin in the game. Payroll taxes are paid by every employed American.

I find it hard to believe with the richest Americans paying way less than their fair share, and profitable American corporations paying zero, your deep concern is with my 93 year old Grandmother and a single mom working at Shop Rite not paying enough.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
There's the spirit! Spare the rich! Raise taxes on the poor and middle class! Single moms! The elderly! Yes!
The rich aren't spared. They already pay. Why shouldn't everyone else? Do they not also live in this country? Do they not also benefit from the federal government's protections and services?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
And those people are nearing the majority. Think what that will do to elections.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think something like 45% of the US did not pay any federal income tax in 2010. That's 144,293,078 people. Obviously some of those are not eligible to work anyway, but let's just use that figure for argument's sake.

If each one of those people paid a single dollar in federal taxes, that'd be $144 million. A drop in the bucket but it's a drop. If they each paid $7, that'd be a billion right there.
You know I always wonder about that figure that they always throw around. Do you know that the wealthy do not pay a wage tax which is substituted by capital gains which BTW is lower? I never understood why people who actually do the work pay the most in taxes as opposed to people who sit back in their chairs and decide what investment to contribute to.

Oh yea, back to the question out of that percentage how many of them cannot work because of age or illness? Many people who are doing pretty well assume that everyone can do as well but just wants to sit back and mooch off of those who do. This may be the case in some situations but I really do not believe that it is the majority of the non-working that feel that way. The employable have been demonized by the teabaggers and the well off and/or comfortable only because they do not have anyone representing them (lobbyist)

Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
They have skin in the game. Payroll taxes are paid by every employed American.
Not the same. According to the U.S. Congress, 51% of income earners pay NO federal income tax whatsoever.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe with the richest Americans paying way less than their fair share
The richest Americans pay MORE than their fair share. The 51% who pay nothing in federal income tax are paying way less than their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies