Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:17 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
God, the Left is hilarious......but not in a good way.

It was a joke.
Uhhh.... Herman Cain acknowledges his electric border fence idea isn't a joke after all - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Already flip floppin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, the unconverted.
Huh? Back in those days, people converted TO Christianity.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
As a conservative Texan, this is a stupid idea. Fence is an expensive poor deterrent to II. There are so many tunnels under the border for drug smuggling the fence would be stupid. If there were no jobs for illegals (HEY OWS, WANT A JOB????) they wouldn't come.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 AM

327 posts, read 320,153 times
I am sure most Americans agree with him.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yep, just like the Roman colosseum.....as the good Christians cheered
Huh? When Rome became Christian, that pretty much ended the gladiator fights and other blood spectacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm surprised he didn't come up with the idea of setting land mines instead so they don't have any kind of warning--sort of a "serves um right" if they try kind of thing.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sick.

Shhhh! You're gonna give them ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
legit question: how do other developed countries handle illegal immigration?
They usually just detain the illegal immigrant and then deport them. It's seems like a difficult concept for many Americans to grasp. You have one side that basically feels that they should be treated just like citizens and legal residents and the other side wants to see Apaches and snipers at the border.

How about a bit more investigation from ICE and deport illegal immigrants as they are discovered?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Liberals want unlimited illegal immigration, yet they complain about high unemployment rates and government costs like health care.

There simply isn't enough to provide the entire third world a nice comfortable lifestyle in this country, provide those who want the easy life their food stamps, Medicaid, high-paying jobs and so on.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you build an 10 foot fence, I will bring an 11 foot ladder....

You build a moat, I will bring a boat...

You build an electrified fence, I will bring a pair of insulated wire cutters...

Either you deal with the reasons people immigrate illegally or you wind up just pissing into the wind.
I'm not exactly one of those people obsessed with illegal immigration, but America doesn't have to do sweet **** all in regards to "the reasons people immigrate illegally". That is their problem in the truest sense of the word. America (or any other nation for that matter) is free to allow or not allow whomever it wants inside its borders. That's pretty much the definition of a country.

Why do people immigrate illegally? In some cases they would otherwise be legitimate immigrants who due to deficiencies in the immigration system only have the option to immigrate illegally and otherwise live law abiding lives in the US. Some are low demand immigrants who come to the US to work as cheap labor, but who make a relatively sizable amount of money compared to where they are from (usually from the poorest regions of Mexico) and send some money back. And some are criminals who come to the US for the explicit purpose of committing crimes.

But the main reason is that the Southern border is porous, there is little chance of being caught actually crossing and virtually no chance of being caught in the most isolated regions (although those are the most hazardous), and there are a number of cities with the misguided policy of not informing immigration officials of undocumented workers no matter what.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals want unlimited illegal immigration, yet they complain about high unemployment rates and government costs like health care.

There simply isn't enough to provide the entire third world a nice comfortable lifestyle in this country, provide those who want the easy life their food stamps, Medicaid, high-paying jobs and so on.
What makes you think that Liberals are for illegal immigration? I'm a liberal and I'm certainly not for illegal immigration!
Sorry if I don't enjoy seeing fellow human beings illegal or not being electrified on a fence with sadistic pleasure like Herman Cain does.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What makes you think that Liberals are for illegal immigration? I'm a liberal and I'm certainly not for illegal immigration!
Sorry if I don't enjoy seeing fellow human beings illegal or not being electrified on a fence with sadistic pleasure like Herman Cain does.
The punishment for breaking immigration laws should not be electrocution. I don't see this as being pro-illegal immigration, more like pro human.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Oh I don't see a problem with this....until we see the electrical bill that is >.>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies