Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The radical right wing evangelical parents are the ones who tried to end Halloween at our school--it was "promoting devil worship." The kids were going to have a fall party with no costumes and no references to anything spooky--not even jack-o-lanterns--until our school board stepped in and said it was a dumb idea. The upset parents pulled their kids out to be homeschooled over it, and then things settled down.
good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
The radical right wing evangelical parents are the ones who tried to end Halloween at our school--it was "promoting devil worship." The kids were going to have a fall party with no costumes and no references to anything spooky--not even jack-o-lanterns--until our school board stepped in and said it was a dumb idea. The upset parents pulled their kids out to be homeschooled over it, and then things settled down.
Why did the school board have to intervene? Did the majority of the student body and their parents want the change? Are you just making this up based on things you may have heard?

Sorry but I call BS. Let's see some proof and I'll apologize.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
A new Hank Williams verse to a country boy can survive

'Well I like to jab a drumstick in that chicks eye and carve her up like a pumkin pie...the Holiday's will survive.'

I couldn't help it with Ole Hank he has the foot in the mouth disease too....THIS MESSAGE IS NOT TO INDUCE VIOLENCE ITS FOR FUN.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
To keep everyone happy schools should just become "no holiday zones" where no holiday is acknowledge or recognized. Holidays only happen and are recognized outside of school buildings.

Nice PC sanitized schools that recognize no traditional holidays that Americans tend to celebrate.
Do your celebrating at home because at school "we don't tolerate that".
Make that "zero tolerance" apply to holidays and holiday traditions.

Go for it because slowly that is what is happening.
Our kids are "global citizens" and US holidays don't fit into that agenda.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:15 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This teacher is a sad example of how a predominantly liberal academia spreads ignorance and bigotry to our children via the public school system, as they work to indoctrinate our children with anti-American propaganda such as hating on Columbus, the founding fathers, the US Constitution, banning various books about American history and culture, etc. It's disgraceful, and people wonder why our kids are getting dumber every generation, their academic scores falling lower every year?

Martin Luther King was a philanderer and anti-semite. Therefore we shouldn't celebrate MLK Day because he was imperfect and possibly a jerk, just like every other historical figure in humankind.

I don't see what's wrong with celebrating Thanksgiving Day either. The original colonists got along very well the natives and celebrated their friendship with a thanksgiving. It wasn't until later generations had arrived that the systemic abuses of the natives began. That's no reason to ban Thanksgiving, which is traditionally a celebration of family and friendship and to gives thanks for a bountiful fall harvest.
I agree 100%!

This is why we work hard to have our child in private education. I never see any of this liberal BS at our school and it is a great mix of children and families.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To keep everyone happy schools should just become "no holiday zones" where no holiday is acknowledge or recognized. Holidays only happen and are recognized outside of school buildings.

Nice PC sanitized schools that recognize no traditional holidays that Americans tend to celebrate.
Do your celebrating at home because at school "we don't tolerate that".
Make that "zero tolerance" apply to holidays and holiday traditions.

Go for it because slowly that is what is happening.
Our kids are "global citizens" and US holidays don't fit into that agenda.
They have special treatment for some Muslim prayer time,Kwanzaa in schools but not to start the day with the Lords Prayer the pledge no green,red icing Christmas cookies....white icing Holiday cookies

Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
They have special treatment for some Muslim prayer time,Kwanzaa in schools but not to start the day with the Lords Prayer the pledge no green,red icing Christmas cookies....white icing Holiday cookies
Talking about icing, I saw a note that went home to parents NOT to use red with any Christmas, er..I mean "Holiday" stuff they sent to school because red is a gang color (Bloods) and this was a fringe inner city school.

I just shook my head when I read that. Pretty sad state of affairs in schools these days.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Something similar happened at my kids' school too, way back in 1987 (before I even had kids in school there). The ensuing brou-ha-ha did tone down Halloween so that the kids weren't hyped for the entirety of Sept/October, so I was told. It also made the schools come up with a "party policy", e.g. only two parties per year (they voted on which ones to have), and only in the last hour of the day. That way the kids who didn't celebrate Halloween (one of the parties chosen) could leave school early and not miss any school. An imperfect solution, but still not bad.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
This BS has gone too far. My daughter's school has to have a private after school party just to dress up for Halloween, for fear that they "might offend someone" I got the letter in the mail, turned it over, and said a few choice paragraphs to the principal, telling him exactly what I thought of him and his useless school. I have yet to get a response.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
This BS has gone too far. My daughter's school has to have a private after school party just to dress up for Halloween, for fear that they "might offend someone" I got the letter in the mail, turned it over, and said a few choice paragraphs to the principal, telling him exactly what I thought of him and his useless school. I have yet to get a response.
Stuff like this gives a whole NEW meaning to tolerance doesn't it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies