Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,474,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You are a Jack-n-Jill type if I recall correctly, not exactly representative of the black masses.
And what is that supposed to mean?

Being a Black American is not a singular, unilateral experience; it does not mean that one must come from humble origins. The Black experience in America is extremely diverse; more diverse than most here on C-D fail to recognize or acknowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,335,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Being a Black American is not a singular, unilateral experience; it does not mean that one must come from humble origins. The Black experience in America is extremely diverse; more diverse than most here on C-D fail to recognize or acknowledge.
Apparently anyone who is not robbing liquor stores or having multiple kids from multiple men while on welfare is not "representative of the black masses". I've been told more than once (not by that poster) that I'm not the "norm" when it comes to black people simply because I have come from a family that values education & the majority of us have at least Bachelor degrees.

Go figure, huh

Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM

23,790 posts, read 14,924,010 times
Wait until there is a candidate. Neither the parties nor the candidates will require as much money this go round due the recent Supreme Court decision.
Expect to see all sorts of groups funding all kinds of committees for the "good of the rest of us". They don't need to reveal the source of their funds.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 AM

23,394 posts, read 17,072,575 times
Default Obama co-ops MLK

Obama who had not shared the Black experience in America according to the words of the shirley sherrod who got dumped when the naacp and others reacted before hearing the entire story and then tried to blame Brietbart......has co-opted MLK to advance his campaign.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,877,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Since all maps show the middle east as part of Africa you are African-American (if you are a US citizen)...
Pretty sure the Middle East is part of the Asia continent.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,379,267 times
This divisive atmosphere isn't going to get any better until the Demagogue-in-Chief leaves office.

Quote:
timsmithwp Timothy Smith
Obama says if Dr King were alive today he would tell us we could challenge the ways of Wall Street without vilifying the people
Twitter

LOL. It just doesn't get any more blatantly petty in the White House.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,664,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Hmmm I wonder why no one told him slavery ended 400 years ago; its time for a new analogy
Well, I hope nobody told him that because slavery did NOT end 400 years ago.

Quote:
u seem to think all black people share the same brain.
It's difficult to make a logical argument that blacks don't share a collective brain when actions indicate otherwise.

It's difficult when:

Blacks as a collective majority vote one party, AND when one factors in that

Blacks collectively remain silent when another is vilified and ostracized for choosing not to support said party --- effectively curbing ideas of stepping off the plantation, self-achievement and silencing independent thought.

Black and Tired - Anthony Bradley
Black and Tired: Essays on Race, Politics, Culture, and International Development

Black scholars ^ and self-achievers are largely ignored if they don't sing the plantation songs of illiberalism. If you don't subscribe to groupthink, you're out. That is perpetuating the sharing of a collective brain.

When these illiberals (both Black and White) stop practicing plantation politics, stop perpetuating a dependent class mired in groupthink, perhaps new analogies will emerge.

Until then, the decades of practicing plantation politics and pitting field slaves against house slaves are consistent analogies with the politics of the day.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,364,879 times
Quote:
Apparently anyone who is not robbing liquor stores or having multiple kids from multiple men while on welfare is not "representative of the black masses". I've been told more than once (not by that poster) that I'm not the "norm" when it comes to black people simply because I have come from a family that values education & the majority of us have at least Bachelor degrees.

Go figure, huh
The fact is that is not the norm for the Black American family. Heck most Americans in general do not have a Bachelors degree.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,364,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

It means your experience cannot be extrapolated to the majority of black Americans. Certainly your experience is part of the Black experience in this country but it is not the reality for a majority of Black people in this country. Your class was not called the talented tenth for nothing.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,335,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Well, I hope nobody told him that because slavery did NOT end 400 years ago.
*Sigh* I wasn't being literal. My point was that every time slavery is mentioned on this forum by a black poster, regardless of the content, they are usually told "slavery ended soooo long ago; why are you still talking about it." However, now that ONE random black person has used a slave analogy to describe Obama no one seems to be bothered by the mention of slavery.

Quote:
It's difficult to make a logical argument that blacks don't share a collective brain
No it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The fact is that is not the norm for the Black American family. Heck most Americans in general do not have a Bachelors degree.
It's the norm in my Black American family. The majority of my friends also have college degrees & are from families that value education. We cannot be the only black people on the planet who feel this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies