Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM

272 posts, read 208,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You a spinning it away from reality because you don't like the facts and are grasping for straws in your attempt to bash Obama. The fact is, Obama was absolutely clear about his intentions and said the wars will continue (what else does, "The central front is in Afghanistan and Pakistan," mean?) What did you expect him to use against Afghanistan and Pakistan, rude language?

Obama, as President, reduced troop levels in Iraq, added troops to Afghanistan and focused on getting those responsible for the 9/11 attacks. At the same time, he's being aggressive in Pakistan. His presidential policy is completely consistent with his campaign as evident by what he said in Time Magazine in 2008:
like I said...double talk. because in this interview before he got elected, he said this:

Obama Says That His First Action as President Would be to Bring U.S. Troops Home from Iraq | BuzzFlash.org

and this

Obama Ad Vows to Bring Troops Home From Iraq - YouTube

Maybe you were asleep on the couch when he said it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
like I said...double talk. because in this interview before he got elected, he said this:

Obama Says That His First Action as President Would be to Bring U.S. Troops Home from Iraq | BuzzFlash.org

and this

Obama Ad Vows to Bring Troops Home From Iraq - YouTube

Maybe you were asleep on the couch when he said it?
In the Time interview he said this:
Quote:
I will send at least two additional combat brigades to Afghanistan and use this commitment to seek greater contributions--with fewer restrictions--from NATO allies.

Read more: McCain and Obama on Afghanistan - TIME
You also don't seem to realize that the Buzzflash piece did not include the next paragraph, which said that he wasn't abandoning Iraq and will be withdrawing responsibly.

Your contention is that what Obama did was different than what he said during the campaign. That's nonsense. Obama laid out his plan for Iraq in a July 2008 NY Times op-ed:
Quote:
As I’ve said many times, we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. We can safely redeploy our combat brigades at a pace that would remove them in 16 months. That would be the summer of 2010 — two years from now, and more than seven years after the war began. After this redeployment, a residual force in Iraq would perform limited missions: going after any remnants of Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, protecting American service members and, so long as the Iraqis make political progress, training Iraqi security forces. That would not be a precipitous withdrawal.

In carrying out this strategy, we would inevitably need to make tactical adjustments. As I have often said, I would consult with commanders on the ground and the Iraqi government to ensure that our troops were redeployed safely, and our interests protected. We would move them from secure areas first and volatile areas later. We would pursue a diplomatic offensive with every nation in the region on behalf of Iraq’s stability, and commit $2 billion to a new international effort to support Iraq’s refugees.

Ending the war is essential to meeting our broader strategic goals, starting in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the Taliban is resurgent and Al Qaeda has a safe haven. Iraq is not the central front in the war on terrorism, and it never has been. As Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, recently pointed out, we won’t have sufficient resources to finish the job in Afghanistan until we reduce our commitment to Iraq.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
In the Time interview he said this:
You also don't seem to realize that the Buzzflash piece did not include the next paragraph, which said that he wasn't abandoning Iraq and will be withdrawing responsibly.

Your contention is that what Obama did was different than what he said during the campaign. That's nonsense. Obama laid out his plan for Iraq in a July 2008 NY Times op-ed:
and my contention is correct, because 2.5 years later, we still have our soldiers present in Iraq. that 16 month window is long gone.

again. double talk by your boy Obama. not a good look.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM

144 posts, read 318,821 times
I feel story Obama. The mess created by the republicans and George Bush is much tougher to clean up than he thought. But the I also feel bad for the idiots who want to bring back the republican so they can create more messes.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I feel story Obama. The mess created by the republicans and George Bush is much tougher to clean up than he thought. But the I also feel bad for the idiots who want to bring back the republican so they can create more messes.
Obama's legacy will be "It's not my fault. blame Bush"

Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
I think the right-wing talking point is that Obama promised in his campaign to extract the U.S. from Iraq and he's at fault for not doing so fast enough -- never mind that Bush started the war that didn't need starting and Obama has drastically reduced troop levels there.

On Afghanistan, Obama never said he was going to end involvement. In fact, he said very much what he did. This is according to Boston.com:

National Nuclear Security Administration, "NNSA Achieves Milestone in Removal of HEU from Ukraine" (news release), Dec. 31, 2010

National Nuclear Security Administration, "NNSA Announces Removal of All Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU) from Serbia" (news release), Dec. 22, 2010
My thing is that, if the CIA created Al Queda (sp) was dominate in Afghanistan thats where we should have been in the first place and not in Iraq! Pres Obama said that he would remove our troops from Iraq which he is doing responsibly. The extreme right want to blame everything on someone else and do not want to take any of the blame themselves or aid in correcting past mistakes. If Bush had done what was right in the first place invade afghanistan(?) and left Iraq alone, Bin Laden would have been captured/killed and our troops would have been home years ago. Not to mention the money spent/lost in Iraq would not have occurred.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
You will have to wait until 2017 to find out, you know, right after he leaves office

Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You will have to wait until 2017 to find out, you know, right after he leaves office
I know. Then he'll blame 8 years on "It's not my fault, blame Bush"

enjoy it. it'll be the ones low on the totem pole that suffer the most under Obama anyway. starting in 2013. so get ready. and don't blame what's coming on nobody but Obama ok?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
If ANY of our soldiers are over there and not here, they are ORDERED to be there. I don't know of any soldiers giddy enough to just go to war over there when they have families to look after over here.

Apparently you have never been in the military so it would be kind of hard for you to understand this simple fact. There are actually career military members that are making alot of money over there and actually enjoy being there. The reservist are the ones that are suffering alot more because they have dual roles (military/civilian)

Let'snot be clueless....Obama has taken us to war yet again..in Lybia this time. last time was Afghanistan..next stop is Egypt if he hasn't secretly sent troops there already.

I thought that I explained this before WE ARE NOT AT WAR WITH LIBYA!!
The war in afghanistan was going on BEFORE he took office

and for the record, NONE of my friends or family have come home yet. they all write and some have said " I don't know when I'm coming home". so the frustration within the military is at an all time high.

but CNN and MSNBC won't let the soldiers speak on TV. just during thanksgiving and Christmas.

I can see it now...."Happy Holidays from Lybia"
Only if you are in NATO!

P.S Faux is'nt real news

Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
gametime wrote:
More along these lines I think. Like Bill Clinton and George Bush before me, I didn't want to suffer the same fate as Kennedy, so I did what I was told to do by those with the real power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies