Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Obama’s proposed “Buffett Rule”-- which would force the wealthiest Americans to pay higher taxes to help cut the nation’s deficits -- has met its Republican match.
Republican lawmakers have introduced their own “Buffett Rule” that would allow billionaire investors like Warren Buffett who say they’re not paying enough taxes to voluntarily give more money to the federal government.

Republicans Unveil Their
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
What crap!!!! Who will voluntarily give contribution?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

I'm a R, and I even I think that's dumb. Some of the people who've benefited from this country's infrastructure to build extreme wealth--at least the ones who WANT to contribute back--are already doing it through charitable giving. Buffett's giving away 85% of his fortune, so is Bill Gates. The ones that need to be targeted are the ones who take and take (no taxes, corporate hand outs, and then they create jobs off shore) who pay NOTHING back. As a small business owner, I pay taxes out the nose to cover the public education of their employees, the roads and bridges they use to transport product, the police and fire protection they use AND for the handouts they get from our government. It's time they started at least paying their own way. Right now, super big business in this country is on WELFARE, except that they're getting it for being rich enough to buy votes vs. being destitute. It makes zero sense.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm a R, and I even I think that's dumb. Some of the people who've benefited from this country's infrastructure to build extreme wealth--at least the ones who WANT to contribute back--are already doing it through charitable giving. Buffett's giving away 85% of his fortune, so is Bill Gates. The ones that need to be targeted are the ones who take and take (no taxes, corporate hand outs, and then they create jobs off shore) who pay NOTHING back. As a small business owner, I pay taxes out the nose to cover the public education of their employees, the roads and bridges they use to transport product, the police and fire protection they use AND for the handouts they get from our government. It's time they started at least paying their own way. Right now, super big business in this country is on WELFARE, except that they're getting it for being rich enough to buy votes vs. being destitute. It makes zero sense.
Prepare to be called a RINO for that comment. Just warning you.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Puts their money where their mouth is.
Some say raise my taxes, so there raise your own taxes.
If they don't it means they were full of it all along.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Prepare to be called a RINO for that comment. Just warning you.
Anyone who isn't a right wing radical is called a RINO these days anyway--I don't even recognize the R party anymore--it's been bought out by the mega corporations when we used to be the party of mainstreet and practical business policy. Now it's all about doing anything to support mega business and to heck with small business owners. I'm tired of paying their way with my tax dollars, when people like me are the ones who are actually creating jobs in this country.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik Buffet will want to await his tax investiagtion before even thinking about it.He is a case of rethoric to feld the maddening crowd.One would think he was running for something;really.It's also workig as he is pure wall street but the maddenig crowd ony see the rethoric.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:14 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:

Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Anyone who isn't a right wing radical is called a RINO these days anyway--I don't even recognize the R party anymore--it's been bought out by the mega corporations when we used to be the party of mainstreet and practical business policy. Now it's all about doing anything to support mega business and to heck with small business owners. I'm tired of paying their way with my tax dollars, when people like me are the ones who are actually creating jobs in this country.
Good points. I consider myself fairly liberal, but despite the stereotype, I'm not anti-business. I'm actually a big supporter of small businesses, understand how important they are, shop at them when I can, and think they're the backbone of our economy. My issue has always been with the big mega-corporations who do exactly as you have described and more. I have a good friend who's runs a mom and pop pharmacy in my area. He's a centrist, and even he understands that Republican politicians these days only stand up for big businesses and pay lip service to the small ones.

People like you are the job creators in our communities. Thanks for doing what you do.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Good points. I consider myself fairly liberal, but despite the stereotype, I'm not anti-business. I'm actually a big supporter of small businesses, understand how important they are, shop at them when I can, and think they're the backbone of our economy. My issue has always been with the big mega-corporations who do exactly as you have described and more. I have a good friend who's runs a mom and pop pharmacy in my area. He's a centrist, and even he understands that Republican politicians these days only stand up for big businesses and pay lip service to the small ones.

People like you are the job creators in our communities. Thanks for doing what you do.
Thanks, but it shouldn't be something special for people to open up a small business and hire local people to make a living--it's the way it's supposed to be, and the way it used to be for the most part until we let these people buy their way into taking over everything at the expense of everyone else. I don't know how anyone starts a new business right now who doesn't already have really strong financial assets--the banks want blood for a line of credit, but we're just handing money out right and left to the big guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies