Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Future anthropology majors be warned, Gov. Rick Scott does not believe such programs contribute much to Florida’s economy and wants them on the losing end of university funding decisions.
Reforming Florida’s college and university system will be one of Scott’s top priorities when the state Legislature convenes in January, the governor said in an interview Monday with the Herald-Tribune.
Leading Scott’s list of changes: Shifting funding to degrees that have the best job prospects, weeding out unproductive professors and rethinking the system that offers faculty job security.
The governor has been discussing the ideas in interviews across the state as he previews a soon-to be released 2012 legislative agenda. Scott also is paving the way for the changes by making them central to his appointment process for new university board members.
Scott said Monday that he hopes to shift more funding to science, technology, engineering and math departments, the so-called “STEM” disciplines. The big losers: Programs like psychology and anthropology and potentially schools like New College in Sarasota that emphasize a liberal arts curriculum.
“If I’m going to take money from a citizen to put into education then I’m going to take that money to create jobs,” Scott said. “So I want that money to go to degrees where people can get jobs in this state.”
“Is it a vital interest of the state to have more anthropologists? I don’t think so.”
Top leaders in the Republican-controlled Legislature have expressed strong support for university reforms.
Future Senate President Don Gaetz plans to make overhauling the state higher education system one of his signature issues. Gaetz has called Florida a “second tier” state in attracting companies because universities are not producing the right graduates.
Rick Scott wants to shift university funding away from some degrees | October 10, 2011 | Zac Anderson | HT Politics
What is this guy thinking? Why aren't these majors important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Makes sense to me. Students are free to go to universities in other states if their major is not offered in Florida. I don't see a problem with this overall, although its not my most preferred austerity plan.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
The only business Rick Scott knows anything about is Medicare fraud.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
This would make Florida more competative in the long run. There are plenty of colleges and universities outside of the state system which offer those majors with little economic return to the state.

Many states are going through the same thing. Recomendations of majors to cut state funding to or delete form the state university systems are usually made by the state univeristy board of governors based on statistics offered by the universities themselves.

No one is entitled to have the major of their choice funded by the state.

Life is hard and gets harder if you have an anthropology, general studies, psychology, sociology, women's studies, or art history degree and over $100K in student loan debt.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Imagine the horror of not funding useless subjects. Heavens forbid some of these kids earn a degree in something marketable rather than esoterica.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This would make Florida more competative in the long run. There are plenty of colleges and universities outside of the state system which offer those majors with little economic return to the state.

Many states are going through the same thing. Recomendations of majors to cut state funding to or delete form the state university systems are usually made by the state univeristy board of governors based on statistics offered by the universities themselves.

Life is hard and gets harder if you have an anthropology, general studies, psychology, sociology, women's studies, or art history degree and over $100K in student loan debt.
So what are the good majors?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Makes sense to me. Students are free to go to universities in other states if their major is not offered in Florida. I don't see a problem with this overall, although its not my most preferred austerity plan.
Funny that a conservative such as yourself suddenly believes that the government is capable of seeing into the future and picking what skills are economically more viable than others. Call it educational central planning if you like, but it certainly has nothing to do with the free market principles that you espouse when it is intellectually convenient.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
What do free market principles have to do with the way a state spends it's tax money?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal
haha quote of the day. I believe the original quote was a John Wayne character in The Sands of Iwo Jima: "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Ha, ha. That is funny! Err, you are kidding, right? You may be against State funding Education. But you certainly wouldn't be for the State selecting in what disciplines people are educated, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies