Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Occupy Wall Street Protesters Arrested For Attempted Bank Account Closing - Citi Bank Oct 15 - YouTube

This is pure mutiny and treason now. You can't even go into a bank without getting manhandled or you can't even request to close your bank account (it's YOUR money) without being arrested?

I'll chip in to these folks' bail myself. Normally I wouldn't say this, but all the Wall Street bankers who approve of this, or allow this to happen without speaking up deserve a severe blow to the head. It's unconstitutional and inhumane, plain and simple.
The cop said..... "You were inside with everybody else."

I think a few overzealous kids did something inside that bank that got them into trouble. The court will demand the security video. So if they did nothing wrong, they have a counter-suit against CB. Because if you invite someone in to your business, which by being OPEN FOR BUSINESS they do, you have to give them a reasonable amount of time to vacate the premises if you want them to leave before you can cry criminal trespass.

On another note, I just saved a bunch of money on BS fees (that are due to take effect next month) by closing my Citibank account and moving to a local bank last week.

Nobody arrested me, but if all I was doing was closing an account and someone TRIED to arrest me, the third cop would have to put the cuffs on because the first two would be on sick leave. You have the right to resist an illegal arrest using any means necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Geee....

I took all my money out out banks years ago.

I called ahead because I wanted cash.

The managers all asked to talk with me to see if they had done anything wrong.

Two had their security walk out to my car with me.

They could not have been nicer.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This is pure mutiny and treason now. You can't even go into a bank without getting manhandled or you can't even request to close your bank account (it's YOUR money) without being arrested?

I'll chip in to these folks' bail myself. Normally I wouldn't say this, but all the Wall Street bankers who approve of this, or allow this to happen without speaking up deserve a severe blow to the head. It's unconstitutional and inhumane, plain and simple.
------------------> Lets see both sides of this instead of just the propagandized OWS version <----------------

Quote:
Citibank Public Affairs issued the following statement regarding today’s incident: “A large amount of protesters entered our branch at 555 La Guardia Place around 2:00 PM today. They were very disruptive and refused to leave after being repeatedly asked, causing our staff to call 911. The Police asked the branch staff to close the branch until the protesters could be removed. Only one person asked to close an account and was accommodated.”
To be clear: no one was arrested for closing an account; we didn’t lock people in our branch – the police decided to close the branch; and we didn’t ask for anyone to be arrested – that is a police decision.
Citibank OWS Arrests | Occupy Wall Street | Video | Mediaite

OP, go right ahead and chip your money in, you can't afford to pay back your student loan but have money to bail out complete strangers who broke the law

Last edited by plwhit; 10-17-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
------------------> Lets see both sides of this instead of just the propagandized OWS version <----------------
Citibank OWS Arrests | Occupy Wall Street | Video | Mediaite

OP, go right ahead and chip your money in, you can't afford to pay back your student loan but have money to bail out complete strangers who broke the law
The video of the woman in the suit appears definitive.

So I would think we know that Citibank lies.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
The cop said..... "You were inside with everybody else."

I think a few overzealous kids did something inside that bank that got them into trouble. The court will demand the security video. So if they did nothing wrong, they have a counter-suit against CB. Because if you invite someone in to your business, which by being OPEN FOR BUSINESS they do, you have to give them a reasonable amount of time to vacate the premises if you want them to leave before you can cry criminal trespass.
Where did you get your law degree? In order to "trespass" onto a private banks property, you must have BUSINESS to conduct, and just cant enter for NO REASON. Per the bank, ONLY ONE person conducted business.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where did you get your law degree? In order to "trespass" onto a private banks property, you must have BUSINESS to conduct, and just cant enter for NO REASON. Per the bank, ONLY ONE person conducted business.
Where did you get your law degree? They were all there for information on opening a new account. They weren't through reading the 75 pamphlets that CB and every other bank spreads all over the place, when they were asked to leave.

Per me, as long as you allow new accounts, everyone is a potential customer.

Aside from that, you can enter a business for any reason as long as it is open to the public. They may ask you to leave if you don't buy anything, but it's not illegal to enter.

Some people call it "window shopping".

Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
And where did you get yours? In general trespass requires notification. You most certainly can enter for no reason.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the banks have enormous power, and we gave it to them.
its not about trespass laws is it?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And where did you get yours? In general trespass requires notification. You most certainly can enter for no reason.
It does not require notification and you can NOT enter for no reason.

At common law a trespass was not criminal unless it was accomplished by violence or breached the peace. Some modern statutes make any unlawful entry onto another's property a crime. When the trespass involves violence or injury to a person or property, it is always considered criminal, and penalties may be increased for more serious or malicious acts. Criminal intent may have to be proved to convict under some statutes, but in some states trespass is a criminal offense regardless of the defendant's intent.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
No you cant.

At common law a trespass was not criminal unless it was accomplished by violence or breached the peace. Some modern statutes make any unlawful entry onto another's property a crime. When the trespass involves violence or injury to a person or property, it is always considered criminal, and penalties may be increased for more serious or malicious acts. Criminal intent may have to be proved to convict under some statutes, but in some states trespass is a criminal offense regardless of the defendant's intent.
It becomes criminal trespass when you're asked to leave property by either the owner if private, or a government official if public, and do not comply. If they refused to leave after being asked to leave by a Citibank employee, they are in fact breaking the law.

Although I still don't see how that applies to the girl on the sidewalk. Which is why I said the tape needs to be reviewed.

...and private property is not necessarily criminal trespass if not open to the public, except when there is an obvious boundary present such as a door if a dwelling/building, or a fence if land, and you went through/over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies