Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If this was true it would not cause me to start complaining about teachers in a French Language classes teaching about French culture or cultures whose roots originate in France. Nor would I start running around and demonizing people from France.
If true, the French 'invaders' would not be able to slip into this country easily, would be easily held back, and be controlled so as not to suckle us dry.

If the French were at our border, like the Mexico is, and were coming in in droves, like Mexicans are, I believe people would take issue with solo French national anthem recitations and French Pledge of Allegiance.

Quote:
I don't recall how I was tested on my knowledge of the Anthem. I'm pretty sure there were no costumes involved. I don't recall ever having to take a French language Regents exam. Since I've always struggled with learning foreign languages, I'm sure by now I would have driven it from my memory. I can't say I blame you.
I do still recall bits of the oral exam in front of the class on my final day of French class.
We had an oral exam wherein we recited a piece of poetry. There were several foreign language Regents exams going back into the 1970's (I believe you're only a few years older than I am as I tested in 1981 but studied using my neighbor's old Barrons books -- she graduated in 78.) You may or may not have taken it depending upon your school's requirements, number of other regents exams and diploma level desired.

Quote:
Since, I was taking French just after Charles de Gaulle's final term as President there was quite a bit animosity between the French and the Americans.
Historically, the French have been anti-American dating back to before our nation's birth.
Quote:
Tell me, how do you know the citizenship of someone waving a flag?
It is obvious one doesn't, but when all you see are Mexican, El Salvadorean, Ecuadorean, etc, flags hanging from houses, car mirrors, on shirts, etc., etc., -- without an American flag present -- one has to question where the loyalties of that tenant lie.

Quote:
Americans of Mexican descent have the same rights as any other Americans.
No one is denying the rights of either USCs of Mexican ancestry or naturalized Mexican immigrants.

However when one is in a virtual border town, where the Mexican flag is flown all over, when our borders are porous because our elected officials prevent agencies such as ICE from enforcing our laws and the Spanish teacher is a Mexican ex-patriot who is having each student recite the Mexican Pledge while holding their arms out in the Mexican salute to the flag -- the teacher has crossed the line.

Want to test them on the Mexican anthem or pledge? Fine. Have them recite a random couple of lines in Spanish and then have them translate it into English and then explain the significance of the line. Reciting the whole thing with arm outstretched -- no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm sure if I had taken French in a place like New Orleans there would have been more of an emphasis on Cajun culture.

Spanish Culture is less meaningful/useful in places like Texas or California than Mexican Culture.

Is it known that the Spanish class only emphasized Mexico?

Cajun culture is the key here. Cajuns, while of French descent, are American citizens. Is there a Cajun National Anthem, or is it the same one we all sing in the US?

This is the crux of my point -- it's one thing if this was about introducing facets of a culture into the lesson, it's another to make it political (Pledge and Anthem) at a time where there is significant tension in the country where illegal immigration (primarily from Mexico) is concerned.

Language, food, dance and traditions help make up a culture. She could have discussed any of the last three and this would not have been news and a 15 year old girl would not have been forced to take a position in order not to compromise what she believed in.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Historically, the French have been anti-American dating back to before our nation's birth.
Close, but not quite. The French were our greatest ally during our Revolution. They spent millions and sent a French fleet to contend with the British on our behalf.

It was only after the French revolution in 1789, and the very first US foreign war (the Quasi-War with France in 1798) that the French ceased to be our allies. The Alien & Sedition Act of 1796 was specifically drafted to boot out the French Ambassador from the US. After seven years of bloody executions in France, the US wanted no part of that senseless brutality.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Close, but not quite. The French were our greatest ally during our Revolution. They spent millions and sent a French fleet to contend with the British on our behalf.

It was only after the French revolution in 1789, and the very first US foreign war (the Quasi-War with France in 1798) that the French ceased to be our allies. The Alien & Sedition Act of 1796 was specifically drafted to boot out the French Ambassador from the US. After seven years of bloody executions in France, the US wanted no part of that senseless brutality.
The first anti-Americanism appears in the writings of Buffon, De Pauw and Raynal -- all preceding the American Revolution by a few decades. Granted, this wasn't the type of anti-American sentiment we are more familiar with. Theirs was more a naturalist/scientific point of view in which their various studies and hypothesis concluded that people or animals coming to this New World generally experienced a retardation in development or were "perceptably degenerating, and their constitution altered with each successive generation."

Essentially, they pronounced what would become our nation as sub parr, setting the tone for generations to come.

No argument that they were our Allies against the British during the Revolutionary War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies