Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But, but, the states aren't allowed to make their own immigration policy say the Obama administration lawyers.
California made its own immigration policy giving tuition to illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Completely agree.
Each party has their own special interest in mind when it comes to illegals.

But so that this thread doesn't get moved or closed, to keep it from becoming all-about-illegals,
I still have a problem with the whole allegiance-to-another-country thing
and would encourage my kids to refuse participation as well.
Mee too.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
I would have walked out and straight to the office and called my parents.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
A friend in California was telling me how the illegals march around with a Mexican flag and say they are taking California back. Eventually they will get the vote with the numbers of babies born here by illegals and they will outnumber everyone . Most of the illegals just want to take advantage of our system and continue their allegiance to Mexico. The illegals don't want citizenship, they want welfare , food stamps and the vote. With each baby born the welfare check gets bigger.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
When I was in high school I studied French. We never recited the French national anthem because it has nothing to do with k
learning french. Go figure......
I had just the opposite experience, we learned and sang all the words to the French national anthem.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Hmm... I learned the Spanish, Mexican, and French national anthems (and had to memorize them - oh horror of horrors!) in my high school French and Spanish classes in Georgia.

More anti-intellectualism from the right. We all know that pledges have little meaning when classrooms full of 5 year olds are instructed to say it without knowing what the words mean.
I could see the French and Spanish anthems but why the Mexican? It would be akin to learning the Jamaican national anthem to folks learning English in the USA.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
California made its own immigration policy giving tuition to illegals.
The people in office that get these idiotic policies passed, are children of illegals themselves so they are going to give away the country to all illegals who go to California.. plus it is breaking their state with debt.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
I learned the French and the French version of the Canadian national anthems in my French class in High School.

Our Spanish classes learned the Mexican and Spanish national anthems.

Our German classes learned the German national anthem.

You don't just learn language in foreign language classes... you learn about the culture as well. This is pretty universal.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Hmm... I learned the Spanish, Mexican, and French national anthems (and had to memorize them - oh horror of horrors!) in my high school French and Spanish classes in Georgia.

wow, The national anthem of those countires are part of learning the language and culture.

We learned the Japanese anthem and several of their famous songs and poems in my Japanese language class.

Yes, OH The horrors of LEARNING about the different cultures of a foreign country!!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I could see the French and Spanish anthems but why the Mexican? It would be akin to learning the Jamaican national anthem to folks learning English in the USA.
Which Spanish-language country has the most influence on American culture?

Your analogy is terrible. It would be more like people learning English in Mexico learning the American, British, and possibly English version of the Canadian national anthems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies