Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,574,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And that is not the point. The point is that no single nation is the sum total of spanish culture. Can anyone even begin to believe that Mexico is representative of all other spanish speaking countries?
To learn or pledge would help non-english speakers identify with England? I hardly think so.
Would learning Canada's pledge teach american culture? I doubt it.
Its a lesson very short on value.
Education is supposed to be local, which is something conservatives constantly tout.

In McAllen's world, Mexico IS the culture. Try visiting the Rio Grande Valley some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,241 times
Quote:
And that is not the point. The point is that no single nation is the sum total of spanish culture.
That is the point. It was one assignment for one country that spoke Spanish as their national language.

If you don't know the REST of her syllabus for the class, you can't automatically assume that she was only using Mexico to show culture and the language.

Do you have her syllabus? How do you know that she wasn't planning to teach about Venezuelan culture? Cuba culture? Puerto Rico culture?

Quote:
Can anyone even begin to believe that Mexico is representative of all other spanish speaking countries?
Nobody said it was. You made that assumption.

Quote:
To learn or pledge would help non-english speakers identify with England? I hardly think so.
When people learn French (at least in the class I took) we learned about New Orleans in the US (and the influence of the French culture there), France, Sweden and Quebec.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Learning and reciting is not swearing.
Good to know!
Then there should be no issue with ALL children in a public school class
being obligated to stand and say the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance,
in the direction of the classroom flag,
each and every day.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What a bunch of ignorant fools many of you are on this board. First of all, McAllen is literally 6 miles north of Mexico. Many of the students still have family that live in Mexico. The Mexican culture is a part of their life just as Canadian culture influences Michigan. Don't believe me? Ask the Red Wings.

This is a Spanish class. A SPANISH CLASS! I fail to see the issue (besides the usual racism and fear amongst some).
Racism? Oh the ever popular race card.
1. Mexican isn't a race.
2. The couse of study is spanish not mexican.
I learned to speak Thai. I have never recited their pledge of allegence. I have no clue what the words of thier anthem is. Yet somehow I can still speak the language and function within their society.
Show me the value of learning the Mexican pledge of allegence to learning the Spanish language. Show me how Mexico = all spanish culture and I'll admit that I am wrong.
Conversational Spanish relies upon knowing the words to the Mexican national anthem???? Hardly.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,077,668 times
How about if this was a Drama class and they were doing a show about the Mexican Revolution and the "Mexicans" had to say the pledge during the show?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
That is the point. It was one assignment for one country that spoke Spanish as their national language.

If you don't know the REST of her syllabus for the class, you can't automatically assume that she was only using Mexico to show culture and the language.

Do you have her syllabus? How do you know that she wasn't planning to teach about Venezuelan culture? Cuba culture? Puerto Rico culture?

Nobody said it was. You made that assumption.

When people learn French (at least in the class I took) we learned about New Orleans in the US (and the influence of the French culture there), France, Sweden and Quebec.
I still ask how is the Pledge to any country required study to learn the language?
I took german in H.S I was not required to learn their pledge or nation anthem. Later while in germany with the Military I was able to relate to my german counterparts.
My whole point is this is that forcing people to recite another countries pledge of allegiance does not contribute to learning the language nor the culture. There are so many better tools.
To learn Thai culture learn their religion, study their customs. What holidays do they celebrate and how.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,241 times
Quote:
Racism? Oh the ever popular race card.
1. Mexican isn't a race.
2. The couse of study is spanish not mexican.
So what? Spanish is the language that Mexican's speak.

Quote:
I learned to speak Thai. I have never recited their pledge of allegence. I have no clue what the words of thier anthem is. Yet somehow I can still speak the language and function within their society.
I learned to read, write and speak Japanese. Yet I learned their national anthem as part of the courses I took. (It's a beautiful anthem by the way and one of the shortest ones to learn).

I can function in their society just fine. Though, I can sing with them at any event, their anthem, if and when its showcased.

Quote:
Conversational Spanish relies upon knowing the words to the Mexican national anthem???? Hardly.
Don't know how many times it must be said, who says that the the Mexican anthem and pledge was the only thing that was going to be taught? Do you have the teacher's syllabus?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,043,065 times
You don't effing have to recite a goddamn pledge of allegiance in class to teach spanish/mexican culture or any other culture for that matter. What an utter waste of time. These Latino teachers, politicians, etc. in this country are out of control. They better learn their place in this country and our educational system. This is pathetic. In a country where most high schoolers can barely recite their own pledge of allegiance let alone the Delcaration of Independence or the Bill of Rights this is the last thing kids need to be focusing on. This multicultural lovefest in America is disgusting. Arabs wanting footbaths installed in our airports and now high schoolers reciting the Mexican pledge of Allegiance. Screw spanish culture. American kids don't even know their American culture well enough nowadays.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,674,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
You don't effing have to recite a goddamn pledge of allegiance in class to teach spanish/mexican culture or any other culture for that matter. What an utter waste of time. These Latino teachers, politicians, etc. in this country are out of control. They better learn their place in this country and our educational system. This is pathetic. In a country where most high schoolers can barely recite their own pledge of allegiance let alone the Delcaration of Independence or the Bill of Rights this is the last thing kids need to be focusing on. This multicultural lovefest in America is disgusting. Arabs wanting footbaths installed in our airports and now high schoolers reciting the Mexican pledge of Allegiance. Screw spanish culture. This is America as kids don't even know their American culture well enough nowadays.
I have to agree.

All in the name of trying to be diverse.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
You don't effing have to recite a goddamn pledge of allegiance in class to teach spanish/mexican culture or any other culture for that matter. What an utter waste of time. These Latino teachers, politicians, etc. in this country are out of control. They better learn their place in this country and our educational system. This is pathetic. In a country where most high schoolers can barely recite their own pledge of allegiance let alone the Delcaration of Independence or the Bill of Rights this is the last thing kids need to be focusing on. This multicultural lovefest in America is disgusting. Arabs wanting footbaths installed in our airports and now high schoolers reciting the Mexican pledge of Allegiance. Screw spanish culture. American kids don't even know their American culture well enough nowadays.
I agree. Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies