Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,873,118 times

Advertisements

DC: The connection you may be missing is what the woman and plenty of men who have no families are facing at 50; growing old alone. In my experience with older people, family becomes very important. Spouses look after each other as their health fails. The companionship of a spouse can make for a fun filled retirement, but many single women are fearful of traveling alone, which many love to do. As they get even older, holidays with family, grandchildren, going to their school and church activities, their milestones as they grow up make life enjoyable. Family like brothers and sisters tend to not spend as much time together since many of them are involved in with their own children and grandchildren. I know widows who are pretty much alone because of estranged or deceased children. Its kind of a lonely life to be honest. As many have said, nobody says on their death bed, I wished I had spent more time at work. A career is a very poor substitute for the love and companionship of spouses, children and family. Particularly when so many employers will dump their older employees like yesterdays newspapers, and the only thanks they get for many years of service is a kick in the seat on their way out the door.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 PM

18,343 posts, read 18,956,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
DC: The connection you may be missing is what the woman and plenty of men who have no families are facing at 50; growing old alone. In my experience with older people, family becomes very important. Spouses look after each other as their health fails. The companionship of a spouse can make for a fun filled retirement, but many single women are fearful of traveling alone, which many love to do. As they get even older, holidays with family, grandchildren, going to their school and church activities, their milestones as they grow up make life enjoyable. Family like brothers and sisters tend to not spend as much time together since many of them are involved in with their own children and grandchildren. I know widows who are pretty much alone because of estranged or deceased children. Its kind of a lonely life to be honest. As many have said, nobody says on their death bed, I wished I had spent more time at work. A career is a very poor substitute for the love and companionship of spouses, children and family. Particularly when so many employers will dump their older employees like yesterdays newspapers, and the only thanks they get for many years of service is a kick in the seat on their way out the door.
you can't be saying you think women should marry and have a family even if they don't want to so they won't be lonely? don't forget there are many people who have had children like you mentioned that end up alone anyway. feminism isn't the reason older people get lonely

Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM

38,623 posts, read 26,296,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Feminists don't despise men. They never despised men.

Any systematic inequality hurts everyone involved. Feminism recognizes this. The traditional gender roles that seemed to benefit men also trapped men, just as women were trapped by traditional gender roles. Inequality hurts everyone.

The women's movement is about equality for everyone.

Maybe we need to redefine equality in such a way that both sexes are held to the same standard of accountability and economic equality applies only to opportunity.

Feminists have always warmly embraced those double standards which favor women. For them, "equality" has traditionally included a little fine print.

Last edited by momonkey; 10-18-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM

38,623 posts, read 26,296,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The current argument is that women get paid less then men to do the same work. This is mostly true, in most polls.

Why is there income disparity?

Women work fewer hours than men and they choose to work at jobs which pay less.

I'm an auto mechanic.

I work nine hours per day and six days per week.

It's a dirty job.

The shop is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

The equipment is noisy and the shop smells of chemical solvents and exhaust fumes.

My hands almost always have bruises and cuts on them.

I typically drive home with dirt, rust scale and transmission fluid in my hair.

When I leave the shop, I smell like the shop.

When no one comes in, I make nothing.

When I examine a vehicle and the customer declines the work, I get paid nothing.

When one of my tools gets up and walks away, I have to replace it.

When a software update is released for my scan tool, I have to pay for it.

When new models require specialized tools to repair them, I have to buy them.

I put up with this crap because when I do make money, it tends to make up for the down side.

Females do not choose to subject themselves to this crap and are almost never mechanics.

I've never seen one in the real world.

Have you?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,039,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maybe we need to redefine equality in such a way that both sexes are held to the same standard of accountability and economic equality applies only to opportunity.

Feminists have always warmly embraced those double standards which favor women. For them, "equality" has traditionally included a little fine print.
A lot of feminists and white knights would disagree with you on the last paragraph. But yeah, feminism is nothing more than a misandric hate group.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,473,501 times
Gloria Steinem is a man.

Anyway, it's about time that single women start picking up the tab for dinner.

The truth is that the OP thinks that women are empowered and players. Some are. But, most of the women I know, just want to be loved and considered pretty. In fact most women like to please their man. Cooking is one example. Any Ms. that wants to beat me up ... go ahead. Most women like their role as being found attractive by men. Face it.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM

1,147 posts, read 907,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Gloria Steinem is a man.

Anyway, it's about time that single women start picking up the tab for dinner.

The truth is that the OP thinks that women are empowered and players. Some are. But, most of the women I know, just want to be loved and considered pretty. In fact most women like to please their man. Cooking is one example. Any Ms. that wants to beat me up ... go ahead. Most women like their role as being found attractive by men. Face it.
Yes, most DO like that role. However, even with them feminism has created a huge problem.

Mainly because they want the best of both worlds, and EXPECT it. They want to be treated like one of the guys when it comes to career, decision making, etc. Then all of a sudden when the check shows up at the table, the eyelashes start batting and they turn into a 19th century woman. They want doors held open, chairs pulled out, etc, etc.

Just look at the daytime video drivel. You see all these women on talk shows complaining because their husband doesn't "help with the housework". Stay at home moms, complaining because "he doesn't fold the laundry". Meanwhile they have gym memberships, they find time to read, gardening, chatting on the phone, etc.

The audacity is staggering.

Even MY wife tried to pull it. Finally I asked "So wtf IS your job anyway? THAT is why my wife works outside the home. She didn't want to do all the housework anymore. Kept asking me to help every day.

So I said "Keeping house is a 1 person job. If you want help, help me bring some money in. THEN I'll split the duty with you. .............but as long as the house remains your only gig, do not ask me for help with anything that's not typical "man work", because you'd just be wasting your time."

Last edited by Had2SaySumthin; 10-18-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,473,501 times
Under Obama care .... women who recently had a child .... get a special lactating room in their workplace. It is mandated.

Shouldn't I get a break too ( as a man ) even if my nipples aren't dripping?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 AM

351 posts, read 537,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I think some of the posters may have gone to bed. You will have to wait until they come back on line to flog you for this post. Sorry. Patience is a virtue.

And yes, there are many women who would prefer the traditional girly-girl female role as housewife and care giver. I truly feel sorry for these sweet "old-fashioned" women, because the overly zealous feminists have robbed them of that alternative in many cases, for reasons already explained in this thread, including the fact that feminists have increased the tension between the sexes, not decreased it.

Feminists invariably focus on the injustices that were corrected as a result of the women's rights movement, but are sorely remiss in discussing the positives that were also done away with. For example, the typical 20 or 30 year old woman of today has no idea how prevalent chivalry used to be. For every woman who was beaten and abused by her husband or who felt denied the "wonderful" opportunity to shuffle off to a job every day, there were hundreds of women who basked in chivalry and courteous treatment by men. Now if a guy is chivalrous, its practically news worthy.

And of course, many feminists abhor chivalry as being demeaning to women, as though to imply, for example, a woman is too weak and frail to even open her own door. The notion of chivalry being an expression of genuine caring and concern over women and their comfort, is totally lost on feminists. Instead, they demonize it. In other words, feminists have helped to bring about the end of chivalry, to the detriment of traditional women.

And there are also millions of traditional women who oppose abortion, but have to stand by as one liberal feminist after another exercises her right to have one "contraceptive" abortion after another, because she fails to practice "safe sex". In other words, just another woman who failed to make one choice (out of many choices available to her) before copulation, and now feels compelled (and entitled) to make a choice after copulation (and fertilization).

Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 AM

913 posts, read 870,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
That is just beyond comprehension.
As far as the rest of your post, I am sure that some employers would view a new mother as a liability, fortunately, not all do.

i'm not here to tell you what's fair and what isn't. imo, life isn't fair! the fact is that disabled umemployment has risen since ada. the numbers don't lie. people are petrified of hiring disabled people now. if feminists get the way, it will be the same for women. employers would be fearful of hiring them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies