Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the OWS protest help or hurt the Democratic Party?
It HELPS the Democratic Party 15 35.71%
It HURTS the Democratic Party 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times

Advertisements

It depends on the polling about OWS in general.

If the majority polled are in favor, it helps Democrats.

If not, it helps Republicans.

Probably that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
If you really look at these protests it's non partisan. These protests are spreading around the world now so it cleary has nothing to do with partisan politics in the US.
You are seeing the frustration of young people not being able to find jobs especially with many of them having college degrees and they are mad at the establishment / corporate America.
We shouldn't dismiss these protests as some kind of juvenile rebellion. They have real concerns that needs to be addressed.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't know how it is playing across the country, but it seems to me that independent voters are being turned off by the OWS protest, and it reminds them of the most unappealing side of the Democratic Party.

Most moderates and independants want a return to normalicy. They want plenty of jobs, stable housing rates, easy credit, etc. They don't want revolution, the over-turning of the capitalist system, or people pooping on cop cars.

While this may energies Obama's base, I don't think this is going to do him much good in the general election.

Hurts-

1. It further subdivides the party into the psychos vs those who are simply pro labor

2. It shows democrats as nut jobs - defecating in streets and trashing an area. That scares the crap out of older democrats. My parents, who are life time democrats, are not voting for Obama this time for a number of reasons, but they have disdain for the protesters.

3. It shows the democratic youth as anti-semitic brown shirts. Along with Obama's anti-Israel policy, the last thing he needed was his "base" participating in "jew bashing".

4. The movement is associated with extremist political groups, ranging from the communist party to the nazis. Not necessarily the people you want to hang out with.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:22 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Normally I make fun of the irrational fear displayed. But, this thread may be identifying a rational fear that this protest may shatter some of the fervently held adoration of those so, undeserving.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
On that, we agree. 13% for congress, and 40% for Obama. People have had it with the fighting and nothing ever getting done.
Yeah but the same fools who are in these polls elect the same fools to be in office yet again. Folks need to look in the mirror. Stop voting for these idiots. Running around squealing on Wall Street does nothing. Vote em out is the only recourse.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't know how it is playing across the country, but it seems to me that independent voters are being turned off by the OWS protest, and it reminds them of the most unappealing side of the Democratic Party.

Most moderates and independants want a return to normalicy. They want plenty of jobs, stable housing rates, easy credit, etc. They don't want revolution, the over-turning of the capitalist system, or people pooping on cop cars.

While this may energies Obama's base, I don't think this is going to do him much good in the general election.
and what makes you think that all of the protestors are Democrats? Do you know this as a fact?
What do you think these protestors want if not the same things you just listed such as jobs? I don't know what you mean regarding housing rates. If you mean housing prices they have crashed a long time ago along with interest rates.
Why would you think this would energize (proper spelling not "energies") Obama's base?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I think all of congress is around there bob.
It's not quite evenly spread. That was in Aug, probably a good bit lower now.

Section 3: Congress, the Political Parties and the Tea Party | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah but the same fools who are in these polls elect the same fools to be in office yet again. Folks need to look in the mirror. Stop voting for these idiots. Running around squealing on Wall Street does nothing. Vote em out is the only recourse.
Here's where we disagree on the surface, but I think deep down, we're saying the same thing. The far end of either party is going to blindly vote their side without hesitation, no matter what happens. The people in the middle--the ones who determine elections--are the ones that count. Despite the fact that there are pictures of hippy kids sleeping on cardboard as the face of this movement, I think people who are are looking at this without party bias are thinking that the ISSUE makes a whole lot of sense. I don't know about you, but I'm disgusted with government right now. If the parties can't get their act together, then the heck with them--stop looking at party and start looking at action. Are they going to fix this or not? Just because the message right now isn't about voting--a year out from 2012--doesn't mean that's not going to be the message as the election gets closer. I'm betting this becomes THE issue of 2012. If the ones in office want to keep their job, they better get with it. If the ones running want to win, they better come up with a plan to fix it and follow through. It doesn't matter where they're protesting--what matters is that they're making it a huge part of our national debate.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
and what makes you think that all of the protestors are Democrats? Do you know this as a fact?
What do you think these protestors want if not the same things you just listed such as jobs? I don't know what you mean regarding housing rates. If you mean housing prices they have crashed a long time ago along with interest rates.
Why would you think this would energize (proper spelling not "energies") Obama's base?
Sorry for the typo, I'm typing fast and without the aid of spell check, (which I rely on far too much.)

I don't know if OWS are Democrats. It's not relevent to my point.

All I'm asking is if it helps or hurst Democrats with independent voters. I think it generally will hurt them, because people want a return to normalicy, not revolution. The media tends to portray the most sensational aspects of these types of events, and the nature of the protest plays into a liberal democrat stereo-type that most independents aren't comfortable with.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,352 times
It hurts CROOKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies