Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

So - that brings us back to the question of how to actually manage this trend, as opposed to screaming at individual debtors within the trend. Which, as I have pointed out, doesn't actually work as a management strategy.
If we stop sending our kids to colleges that charge $100k to educate them, the college's will figure out how to bring the price down.

We need to have realistic conversations with our children about the income prospects of their chosen fields and what level of student loan debt that fields can (and can't) support. We need to encourage our kids to slow down, let them know college is not a race....its OK to work part time and go to school part time, starting with junior college, and take 7 or 8 years to get a degree, especially if it means you can do it with substantially less debt. You'll be way more mature when you graduate and more likely to land a job in your chosen field than your green-behind-the-ears 22-year-old classmates. And even though you get a later start in your career, you're likely to have your education debt retired at a much earlier age than if you go strait to full time at a 4-year institution and come out saddled with a house payment every month before you actually pay for a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,741,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
shorebaby, you wasted your time in school.

The quote from JFK goes like this.

"Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country".

You are an embarassment. I won't call you dumb, or a Democrat .... I'll let the rest of the folks decide.
Ummmmm, it was a joke!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
That couldn't be said better.

And whatever this is I'm guessing you can't really afford it.
It's called a smartphone and the program is called tapatalk...

It's a forum designed to work on IOS/Android/WP7 that's a mobile version of over 100 thousands forums online.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
The primary function of our current student loan system is to create a generation of debt slaves. At least the kids didn't have to sell their bodies to get the loans but they did have to sell their futures. They are now facing wage slavery for the forseeable future. The other [point was to eliminate all risk for the banks. Without risks the banks are just being greedy.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,587,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The primary function of our current student loan system is to create a generation of debt slaves. At least the kids didn't have to sell their bodies to get the loans but they did have to sell their futures. They are now facing wage slavery for the forseeable future. The other [point was to eliminate all risk for the banks. Without risks the banks are just being greedy.
What a crock!

How about all the many students whom had loans over the last several years and went on to graduate, get a job, and pay them back? Student loans are not bad.

What is bad and pathetic is when one chooses to stay in school making a semi-career out of 'learning' because they do not want to face the real world and then expect those loans to be excused.

Also pathetic is the thought they one is entitled to anything - including a college education.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times
Default Students don't want to pay back their loans

"My parents told me that I deserved to drive the best car I could find and now the bank wants me to pay the loan back. I had to buy a life insurance policy because if I die my parents would have to pay my $120,000 loan."

Poor thing must have been taken in by Obama's talk about free college. What else could make them think they could avoid the gravity of taking out a large loan, like that.

Students don’t want to pay their loans! #FirstWorldProblems – Glenn Beck

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
"My parents told me that I deserved to drive the best car I could find and now the bank wants me to pay the loan back. I had to buy a life insurance policy because if I die my parents would have to pay my $120,000 loan."

Poor thing must have been taken in by Obama's talk about free college. What else could make them think they could avoid the gravity of taking out a large loan, like that.

Students don’t want to pay their loans! #FirstWorldProblems – Glenn Beck
Mods please listen to the link and THEN TAKE THIS DAMNED HIDDEN THING OFF THE BOARD.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,777,858 times
With the outstanding student loan - private and federal - at $829.785 billion, this debt goes far back in time.

I don't blame recent graduates for being unable to pay their loan back seeing as how they can't secure employment. I also don't understand why the US continues to give out 50,000 lotteries annually to foreigners to work in the US. Companies are still bringing in foreign help because, as it is claimed, they can't find people in the US that have the qualifications. With the number of unemployed, they can't find people qualified??? You have recent grads to people who have 10, 20, 30 years experience unemployed in every field.

Last edited by softblueyz; 10-19-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,038,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Except that if they are allowed to declare bankruptcy guess who's on the hook? That's right, the taxpayer. That's the difference between student loans and other debt obligations. A person who is over his head in credit card and other debt can be relieved of his obligation to repay because it is the lender who takes the hit. But student loans, by contrast, are government-backed. So if the loans are not repaid, it is not the banks who are left holding the bag, it is the taxpayer.
The lenders/banks/cc companies also have insurance that covers their losses, too.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,469,491 times
I demand China pays off the Student Loan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies