Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times

Advertisements

wcbstv.com - Storage Co.'s Pro-Choice Billboard Causes Uproar (broken link)

Why am I not surprised that the CATHOLIC League is angered over this, and is calling for the Billboards to be removed?! The fact is: whether or not anybody thinks the ads are tasteless, the company still has a right to advertise in this manner. It's called "freedom of speech".

If you are against abortion, fine. Don't have one. If you find the billboards offensive, fine. Look the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Why am I not surprised that the CATHOLIC League is angered over this, and is calling for the Billboards to be removed?! The fact is: whether or not anybody thinks the ads are tasteless, the company still has a right to advertise in this manner. It's called "freedom of speech".

If you are against abortion, fine. Don't have one. If you find the billboards offensive, fine. Look the other way.
I'm surprised at your surprise. I would imagine that the Catholic League (I'm a Catholic, and I understand the League can get a little crochety now and then) has voiced its objections for the same reason that a Muslim group might object to a cartoon showing The Prophet enjoying a meal of pork chops---or that the NAACP might not hold with the "N" word being used---or that the local chapter of N.O.W. might object if JC Penney announced a sale on "wife-beater" undershirts--Or the Jewish Defense League might raise objections to a sale on Auschwitz memorabilia---Why couldn't ALL these offended parties just "look the other way"?---I don't know; maybe we're all just a little thin-skinned--what do you think?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Here's my beef- the term "pro-abortion" is inflammatory and meaningless. Pro-choice defines the position. No one is promoting abortion.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:13 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times
I've actually seen these billboards, and am absolutely disgusted by them.

Last edited by WallStreetWarrior; 08-18-2007 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: didn't type anthing the first time

Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post

In another post in another thread you've said "I don't mind the war" yet you're "absolutely disgusted" by a billboard? Can you explain your ambivalence to a war killing in the thousands and your disgust at a mere ad?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:36 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Default Oh Boy...

You know, there are so many birth control options out there for women and men nowadays - there's absolutely no excuse anymore for getting knocked up!!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

This is PATHETIC! No wonder NYC sucks. They have crazied like that.....

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_227234343/lg (broken link)

Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
What would be even more disgusting would be to ban abortion and a lot more women then ever wanting to know how the heck do you use a coat hanger to have an abortion?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In another post in another thread you've said "I don't mind the war" yet you're "absolutely disgusted" by a billboard? Can you explain your ambivalence to a war killing in the thousands and your disgust at a mere ad?
Figure it out buddy, I'm Catholic...duh! hahah

But being serious now. The reason I am for the war is becuase this war has strategic purpose for the United States. The ad on the other hand is a simple gesture at how light people take the issue of abortion to the point where they will make advertisements that make it a joke. Look. Obviously this advertisement was not an attempt at making people pro-choice at all. However, if you're going to use completely arbitrary material for your advertisements, at least do it tastefully. Believe me, if I saw a billboard for the Marines that said, "Hey, wanna kill some brown people?!", I would be equally offended and disgusted.

Wait...why are we even comparing these two things anyways?!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
You know, there are so many birth control options out there for women and men nowadays - there's absolutely no excuse anymore for getting knocked up!!

Before you make a statement like that you should researcg the effectiveness of birth control methods, other than abstinence NONE are 100% effective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies