Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Amen.

Some people like marijuana and some people like tobacco. I like both. In fact, any person who has little problem with one, but a big problem with the other is a hypocrite.

I like both as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM

608 posts, read 593,547 times
Default Beyond Chewing....

The important thing to remember here is that it's for the children. And just as soon as we ban that nasty tobacco chewing of course we'll eliminate the sale of beer at stadiums, since that is clearly even worse as an example to the kids.

Yes, the stadiums will lose a bit of money, but we can add 25% or so to the ticket prices to make up for it, and the only people who will complain will be Big Alcohol employees and alcohol addicts who can't go a few hours without their drug.

Then, finally, and hopefully not more than a year or so away, an elimination of all beer and alcohol advertising on TV during sporting events and all sponsorship by Big Alcohol. Any sports event that attracts more than a 15% viewership of children under the age of 21 should come under the rule. Again, this might impact ticket prices (maybe by another 50% or so) and it might also end up reducing the number of games, but hey, just remember it's for the children. Superbowls and World Series games can be held every other year instead of every year and then people will enjoy them even more!

Do I really believe any of the above should be done? Of course not. But we saw it done for tobacco and the fanatics managed to push it through with barely a whimper simply by abusing our love of our children. Once they've finished up the loose ends on smoking bans and such they'll come for alcohol, and this time they'll have learned how to do it so it'll stick: one little step at a time, emphasize or invent harm to nondrinkers and to children, warn about the medical costs to society, run expensive ad campaigns showing what drinking does to one's skin, sexual performance, heart and liver, and parade out the young widows and beaten wives.

A little propaganda is good for the soul, eh? Or maybe it's the children's souls... or something like that.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM

27,170 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Wonder if any of the Clowns (capitalized out of respect, LOL!) smoke themselves?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM

27,170 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Senator Tom Harkin: Marijuana Makes People Sell Their Children

Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,524,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Chewing tobacco while playing baseball should be banned. It stains the grass and looks gross.

I am not opposed to chewing tobacco in public except for the gross and leaving stains part.
In the military, when I was down south, chewing tobacco was a pretty big thing. The people used to chew it in the barracks and often leave their cups of used spittle on the couch in the lounge where it would subsequently get spilled, staining the couch (the "staining" really being the lesser of the immediate problems). The really polite ones used to dump their cups filled with liquid chew spit right into the inside garbage, but that was its own problem. It's amazing, the amount of stink that could come from a hallway indoor garbage can when the thing is filled with numerous cups of chew spit (aside from just making it more difficult to clean). Eventually, they made everyone go do their activities outside, depositing their cups into the outdoor dumpster.

No real point to the story, the discussion simply reminded of one of two smells that have been permanently etched in my brain that haunts me - the other smell also courtesy of being in the military, which will haunt me forever until the day I die... the smell of Chitterlings coming from the galley. Could smell that stuff being cooked up at the barracks a half a mile away. *pukes*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies