Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM

38,648 posts, read 26,421,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Do you really believe that your landlord or the oil company is going to pass on any tax savings to you? Give you an example. Texas passed a tort reform law that capped punitive damages in medical malpractice claims. In selling the plan to the public, the legistlature said that because the insurance companies would lose less money that the savings would be passed on to the consumer. Guess what. It worked, the Insurance companies paid less and claims, but the insurance amounts never went down, the insurance companies just pocketed the extra profit. What in the world would believe the same thing would not happen. Business is about profit.

You're assuming nothing else caused premiums to increase. I haven't heard of any states in which insurance premiums have stayed the same. Have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:56 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,221,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Give it a whirl.

999 Sales Tax Calculator
According to his calculations, companies would lower their prices. Doesn't make any sense. If people are willing to pay me $150 for a product why would I lower it, just because my corporations tax rate is lower? I'd charge as much as people are willing to pay for the product. Any tax savings are going into my pocket or my business, certainly not going to give those away.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

38,648 posts, read 26,421,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well it isn't because it ASSUMES that the entire corporate tax savings will be remitted to the final consumer, a rather dubious assumption to say the least because it also makes another fatal Econ 101 assumption that there is perfect competition in the market. There isn't. Far too many companies through economies of scale have far greater pricing power than their competitors so they may feel no need to compete based upon price with lessor companies (see Apple) and some companies such as grocery stores in inner city areas face little to no competition which is another reason why this idea is patently regressive for those most vulnerable.

Obviously the calculator is a very simple way of looking at a very complex economy. The assumptions are that the 35% corporate tax becomes 22% of the price of a new good and via linear interpolation, the new 9% corporate tax becomes ~6% of the cost of a new item. What is being ignored is the effect of taxing retail goods at 9%. The cheap crap we import from China will be taxed, but repairing and restoring existing items will not. Look for the automotive and appliance repair fields to boom if this becomes law. Quality and frugality could become part of our vocabulary once again.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Give it a whirl.

999 Sales Tax Calculator
While definitely not perfect, it does work as a tool to illustrate his point

Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
According to his calculations, companies would lower their prices. Doesn't make any sense. If people are willing to pay me $150 for a product why would I lower it, just because my corporations tax rate is lower? I'd charge as much as people are willing to pay for the product. Any tax savings are going into my pocket or my business, certainly not going to give those away.
Go ahead, don't lower the prices of your goods and services, but I will, and then I'll take away all your customers. Have fun posting those "Going Out Of Business" signs. LOL

Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,472,384 times
Here's a 999 income tax calculator.

999 Calculate

And another site that explains the tax cost to consumers would be miniscule.

http://www.999taxcalculator.com/

Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,929,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Go ahead, don't lower the prices of your goods and services, but I will, and then I'll take away all your customers. Have fun posting those "Going Out Of Business" signs. LOL
that is a pretty solid counter.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
LOL, "invisible embedded tax" ? based on a marginal rate that very few corporations pay in the first place?

they can't be serious.
They don't pay it, they pass it along to us, and we pay it.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,549,147 times
Here's the truth in easy to comprehend tax tables.

Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 plan in one table - The Washington Post

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Tax Reform Plan; Baseline: Current Policy; Fully Phased in Distribution of Federal Tax Change by Cash Income Level

84% of taxpayers will see a tax increase......

Millionaires will INCREASE their after tax income by 22.4%.

At the lowest end of the scale (less than $10,000.00) after tax income will DECREASE by 20%.

WOW...this is a text book example of a Regressive Tax!

Regressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Obviously the calculator is a very simple way of looking at a very complex economy.
Well it is the most sophisticated explanation to come out of the Cain campaign explain the concept to date!

Quote:
The assumptions are that the 35% corporate tax becomes 22% of the price of a new good and via linear interpolation, the new 9% corporate tax becomes ~6% of the cost of a new item.
What the frack??

The 35% corporate tax become 22% of the price of a new good???

I am hoping what you meant to say was that currently the 35% corporate tax adds 22% to the price of new goods and that under Cain's proposal that add-on price would be 6%. Is this a correct read of that statement?

Quote:
What is being ignored is the effect of taxing retail goods at 9%.
I'm listening...

Quote:
The cheap crap we import from China will be taxed, but repairing and restoring existing items will not.
You mean my cheap crap Apple computers that are the backbone of my business, the cheap piece of junk iPhone that I use to connect with clients. My garbage Sony flat screen tv or my junk Shimano fishing reels that I love so dearly. That cheap crap?

Quote:
Look for the automotive and appliance repair fields to boom if this becomes law.
Shall we look at all the jobs in shipping and retail that will not? As for automotive repair are we forgetting the price of new parts that our booming repair people will need to fix my auto or appliance, costs that are sometimes higher than actually buying a new car or appliance to begin with? I'm not feeling your optimism.

Quote:
Quality and frugality could become part of our vocabulary once again.
If you think that frugality hasn't entered the vocabulary over the last 3 years, I have a news flash for you. My problem is that at the present time frugality is killing this economy.

Last edited by ovcatto; 10-19-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies