Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

So expand on what you're trying to convey. Don't give some random link that I'm suppose to interpret for you.

I specifically gave you links to the largest (government started entity which is now a monopoly) which specifically stated that its growth rate was well above the standard cost on inflation and the CPI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Speak for yourself and your children. I know plenty of intelligent children who attend public schools. I'm so sick of kids getting labeled like this by those who haven't a clue.
Knowing how to use a computer "to do your thinking for you" is absolutely "not" a sign of intelligence ..

If you can't problem solve without the use of a machine, then chances are good that you would be as dumb as a box of rocks ..

Kids are not taught to think these days .. they are taught to use machines to do their thinking for them

Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Knowing how to use a computer "to do your thinking for you" is absolutely "not" a sign of intelligence ..

If you can't problem solve without the use of a machine, then chances are good that you would be as dumb as a box of rocks ..

Kids are not taught to think these days .. they are taught to use machines to do their thinking for them
My children know how to find information without the use of a computer. Learning to use critical thinking skills to evaluate the information you do find on the internet is intelligence.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

521 posts, read 466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The youth of today could learn a lot from this young man/woman

The youth of today could never learn from anyone .. The schools these days don't teach kids to think .. and without good thinking skills, kids learn "nothing"
Amen!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Reality fail, I don't know anyone who can live in a cheap apt and pay all their bills INCLUDING college tuition, on a 30-hour job paying barely above minimum wage. Maybe at Podunk U?

Oh wait...s/he paid only 10 percent of the tuition...gee, I could pull that off if 90% of tuition were paid by someone else.

And I had better grades than this person - I graduated with 3.9 GPA in the top 5 percent of my class - and nobody gave me free money.
Even so, s/he must be living with a pack of roommates to rent an apt. on 30 hrs a week at minimum wage.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
For a couple of posters above who say that my generation "doesn't know how to think"...

So inform me, then. Since your schools were so incredibly, fantastically perfect when you were kids, tell me what you were taught.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Ok since we are doing analysis lets take the second clause of that sentence. "and will continue work my *** off for everything I have." That language seems to imply a different meaning then what you try to parse it to say. After all it was you who said "taking a handout is different from expecting one." Now tell me how exactly do you work your *** off for a subsidy? I would posit that the author doesn't even realize the fact that s/he is getting a handout in the first place.
I don't know anything about the author but in the context their intent seems to be about the mindset of individuals expecting handouts as if it is a right or something not about refusing help if offered. The last portion is somewhat contradictory so context is important. I am not trying to defend everything about this person just the fact that expecting things are different than recieving them - their point seems to be along those lines and your points should have taken that into consideration before calling them a 'hypocrite.'

P.s. You might even say that he did work for the handout - he still had to perform and get the grades for them to even give him the scholarships. At least he did something for it and did not expect a free ride.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I think this person may break his/her neck falling off the high horse.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I don't know anything about the author but in the context their intent seems to be about the mindset of individuals expecting handouts as if it is a right or something not about refusing help if offered. The last portion is somewhat contradictory so context is important. I am not trying to defend everything about this person just the fact that expecting things are different than recieving them - their point seems to be along those lines and your points should have taken that into consideration before calling them a 'hypocrite.'

P.s. You might even say that he did work for the handout - he still had to perform and get the grades for them to even give him the scholarships. At least he did something for it and did not expect a free ride.
Oh I absolutely stand by calling that person a hypocrite. They are getting help left and right and they are talking about how they worked for everything. I ask again, this person is going to a state subsidized school and getting an education at a price subsidized by tax dollars. Please explain to me how one works hard for a government subsidy?

As to working for a scholarship. As I have said if you are in college it benefits you more then anyone else to get good grades, in fact I don't think it really benefits anyone besides you and possibly your family if you get good grades. As a result you should be working hard for grades regardless of whether or not you are on scholarship. Having a scholarship in that regard is sort of like someone paying you to eat your vegetables. While you are technically doing something it isn't anything you wouldn't or shouldn't be doing otherwise, it is simply icing on the cake.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-20-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Oh I absolutely stand by calling that person a hypocrite. They are getting help left and right and they are talking about how they worked for everything. I ask again, this person is going to a state subsidized school and getting an education at a price subsidized by tax dollars. Please explain to me how one works hard for a government subsidy?
Where do you get that 'they are getting help left and right' - other than the scholarships - how can you know anything indepth about this person from a paragraph written on some paper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies