Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The youth of today could learn a lot from this young man/woman

The youth of today could never learn from anyone .. The schools these days don't teach kids to think .. and without good thinking skills, kids learn "nothing"
Speak for yourself and your children. I know plenty of intelligent children who attend public schools. I'm so sick of kids getting labeled like this by those who haven't a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM

443 posts, read 600,668 times
Wait, they suceeded with a high gpa, working 30 hours, and going to school and have nothing, and yet they are not pissed at the Rich who take everything.

I don't get the boomer generation. You people tick me off the most. You lived in the best decades of this country right after we won WW2. You could get out of highschool, go get a decent job with no college education, have a house, a wife, raise kids, go on vacation, etc etc. Then you think you have the right to spit on us of the younger generation who will be working till we are dead to pay for you. *&^( you!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

443 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
What a crock! Always an excuse coming from the left why they can't or shouldn't or won't. Pathetic.

I would rather be holding this honorable sign than one the losers of OWS are holding on their disgusting site. Those attitudes and signs will NEVER put food on the table.....only stand with their hateful hands out expecting someone else to do it for them.
I consider myself left wing. I don't take govenment handouts. I pay back my student loans, I feed my family, I work 50-60 hours a week, I go home and work after work, I don't get vacation days, nor sick days. I can keep going on.

I am not some simplistic chilish idiotic stereotype that you come up with. I see the balances of this country getting out of wack. I see the generation before me having it much easier than the ones under them will ever have.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Speak for yourself and your children. I know plenty of intelligent children who attend public schools. I'm so sick of kids getting labeled like this by those who haven't a clue.
Exactly! Would you like to hear what my kids did? Probably not, so I'll keep it to myself. Suffice it to say, both of them are successful young adults, not living in the basement, even though they didn't do things exactly as this anonymous person did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Wait, they suceeded with a high gpa, working 30 hours, and going to school and have nothing, and yet they are not pissed at the Rich who take everything.

I don't get the boomer generation. You people tick me off the most. You lived in the best decades of this country right after we won WW2. You could get out of highschool, go get a decent job with no college education, have a house, a wife, raise kids, go on vacation, etc etc. Then you think you have the right to spit on us of the younger generation who will be working till we are dead to pay for you. *&^( you!
Generation envy will always be with us.

When I graduated from college in 1970, young men were getting drafted into the "war without end", Viet Nam. Inflation was rampant. Nixon imposed wage/price controls a year later, just as we were getting started in our careers.

DH and I will probably be working for many years to come. Join the crwod.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.
EXPECTING someone to hand something to you and having something available to be handed out by donors are two different things. Now apply that to some of the crap backward mentality of the OWS crowd.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
That kid's life must have been boring as hell. No thanks. That people would say this is the standard that America's youth should follow is BS. Sorry, but for such youthful energetic years of your life, I don't think anyone should be restricted to sitting in a stinking cheap apartment eating ramon noodles. Did that kid ever go out and socialize? That costs money you know. Did he have a girlfriend? Did he treat her well? That costs money as well.

I would never expect any youth in this country to live a lifestyle similar to what that kid holding the paper is saying he lived. In fact, I would be genuinely disappointed if any of the youths in my family lived through college that way. Life is way too short to make your existence so boring!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Hahah and meanwhile none of that will matter as the corporations that have no loyalty to America or Americans could care less about upstanding or responsnible or hardworking young men and women like him/her and would much rather pay some 13 year old teen girl in China pennies to sew some Nike shoes together or some Indian to work in their call center. While I can appreciate this kids message and his heart is in the right place.......in the end he's clueless. While he plays by the rules everyone around him i.e. the rich fat cats in Washington and their plutocrat friends on WallStreet are bending him over with 9 inches of plastic in one hand and a tub of vaseline in the other.

This idealistic young person hasn't even said whether or not he has a damn job lined up after college! LOL Holding a feel good sign like that isn't going to put food on the table.
You blame corporations rather than taking responsibility. Juts a difference of how people choose to live. The person in the OP lived and went to college debt free taking personal responsibility.

So its a matter of a point of view about life. either you want to blame others like corporations who by the way hire alot of people , or you take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming others. just a matter of how one wants to live, blame others or take responsibility for one self

Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
That kid's life must have been boring as hell. No thanks. That people would say this is the standard that America's youth should follow is BS. Sorry, but for such youthful energetic years of your life, I don't think anyone should be restricted to sitting in a stinking cheap apartment eating ramon noodles. Did that kid ever go out and socialize? That costs money you know. Did he have a girlfriend? Did he treat her well? That costs money as well.

I would never expect any youth in this country to live a lifestyle similar to what that kid holding the paper is saying he lived. In fact, I would be genuinely disappointed if any of the youths in my family lived through college that way. Life is way too short to make your existence so boring!
So you prefer the youth of this country to run up debt and take no responsibility for their actions. At what point does one take responsibility for his or her actions?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).

Reality fail, I don't know anyone who can live in a cheap apt and pay all their bills INCLUDING college tuition, on a 30-hour job paying barely above minimum wage. Maybe at Podunk U?

Oh wait...s/he paid only 10 percent of the tuition...gee, I could pull that off if 90% of tuition were paid by someone else.

And I had better grades than this person - I graduated with 3.9 GPA in the top 5 percent of my class - and nobody gave me free money.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I consider myself left wing. I don't take govenment handouts. I pay back my student loans, I feed my family, I work 50-60 hours a week, I go home and work after work, I don't get vacation days, nor sick days. I can keep going on.

I am not some simplistic chilish idiotic stereotype that you come up with. I see the balances of this country getting out of wack. I see the generation before me having it much easier than the ones under them will ever have.
You are responding my post which was a response to anther post.

Good for you that you have been so responsible. I am embarrassed for the 99%'ers holding up their stories demanding handouts and staying that they are not going to pay back their student loans.

Generations change and that is just a fact of life. My parents had it a lot easier than their grandparents. Deal with it.

The simplistic, childish ones are the people I referred to above and some made those choices to stay in school drinking coffee at starbucks and spewing academia as that was the easy way to live life since they were on student loans. Now they do not want to pay them back and are crying foul and big, bad, business. That is wrong.....and again, simplistic and childish. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies