Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
If you work hard enough (and make the right choices-- which you should know if you are smart) you are guaranteed a middle class lifestyle

No more, no less. You are not guaranteed to make a bazillion dollars. After you get past $80 - 100K/year, luck begins to factor in to a greater degree.

Make 3 million a year? A lot of luck came into effect for this to happen. And you probably worked hard and are very smart.
Make $100K/year? Hard work and intelligence.
Make $26K/year? You might not be lazy, but you probably aren't the smartest-- as you didn't make the right choices (job/major/outlook...etc)

It is harder for someone who is poor to rise to middle class level. But people do it all the time.
What an ignorant, simplistic formula you've got there. You've not factored in cost of living. Making $100k a year in LA? You're poorer than the worker making $26k a year in North Dakota. In this case, I'd say the person making $26k a year made the right choices.

I'm so sick of the "the rich only have money because they're lucky" argument. A convenient way for the losers in this world to justify their own pitiful existence. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" sometime, and you'll see where rich and the illusion of rich are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If you work hard and smart you might survive. If you select the right parents and go to the correct prep schools and universities you will be wealthy even if you partied your way to a "gentleman's c" in abstract art.

Working hard and smart, unless at something illegal, will be trumped by being born to the investor class every time.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:44 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What an ignorant, simplistic formula you've got there. You've not factored in cost of living. Making $100k a year in LA? You're poorer than the worker making $26k a year in North Dakota. In this case, I'd say the person making $26k a year made the right choices.

I'm so sick of the "the rich only have money because they're lucky" argument. A convenient way for the losers in this world to justify their own pitiful existence. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" sometime, and you'll see where rich and the illusion of rich are very different.
Don't take the numbers literally.

The point I'm making is that if you make 20 million a year-- luck had something to do with it. You think it didn't obviously, and that is completely silly.

If luck has nothing to do with it-- then why don't you make 20 million a year, are you not a hard worker? Not smart enough?

Anyone can make < 300K (number is example-- not set in stone) per year, but it takes some luck to make multi-millions a year.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes, but still not rich. It would appear that you have not made very many bad decisions, and yet you are still not rich. How is that possible? I mean all I keep hearing is that if you work hard and make good decisions that you can become rich just like the top 1%. Why has that not happened for you?
As I said some would consider me rich. Perhaps not you, certainly not a billionaire but many of those protesting on wall street would.
The reason I am not even more wealthy is simple I never applied myself when in school I never went to college and so many areas that I might have excelled I missed out on. My decision to limit myself is why I dont have more wealth.
Luck. Luck is a myth just like if someone says if you pray for it god will deliver.
Is it luck that some people are tall? Some are athletic or some book smart? No its genetics. Plain and simple.
Some are born into a wealthy family I guess you can say they were lucky. I say it was by chance.
If I won the lottery some would say it was luck. I say it was by chance. In my case it would be a damned miracle because I don't waste my money on lottery tickets. LOL
According to some anyone who makes over 250 g a year is rich.
According to some if you own 50 acres of land and the gas company pays you 300 an acre each month for the gas that they pump out you are rich.
Some say its luck.
No it is what it is. I could have bought 100 acres for 1/3 more than I paid for my land but I didnt want to live on the side of a mountain.
I dont believe in luck never have never will.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So why aren't you?

Some would consider me rich...I don't, but I don't have to worry about finances nearly as much as a lot of people that I know. How did I get this way, mostly just luck. I have a few talents, but it did not have to work for them, I was just born with them...luck.

I know people that manager their money well and work three times harder than I do, but have little or no money to spare and are just barely making ends meet.

Someone will say that some people are stupid. Well if you are not very intelligent or you are intelligent is that not just luck as well.

The fact is that the belief that if you work hard and look to the future you too could become rich is simply a gross exaggeration. While it is true, and there is anecdotal evidence to show it, some will and do become rich, your odds are not that great. You do increase your odds by working hard and making good decisions, but not everyone can become rich no matter if they all work very hard and all make very good decisions. It is mathamatically impossible as their is a finite amount of wealth.

So at the end of the day the very wealthy should not be put on pedestals for simply being lucky and the middle class and working poor should not be looked down upon for being unlucky.
I have worked hard and manged my money I'm not rich, but do not need government to feed me

Old 10-20-2011, 01:12 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
So, the point is that the rich should pay more. OK, I agree that they pay a smaller % than do middle to lower income people.
No, the rich do not pay a smaller % than do middle and lower income people. How in the world does anyone still believe that ridiculous liberal myth when the factual information is broadly published.

Who pays what rate (effective tax rate) for federal income tax in Table 1, here: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...eral_taxes.pdf

Also noteworthy on that chart is the effective rate for ALL federal taxes, combined, by income group, in the last column.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As I said some would consider me rich. Perhaps not you, certainly not a billionaire but many of those protesting on wall street would.
The reason I am not even more wealthy is simple I never applied myself when in school I never went to college and so many areas that I might have excelled I missed out on. My decision to limit myself is why I dont have more wealth.
Luck. Luck is a myth just like if someone says if you pray for it god will deliver.
Is it luck that some people are tall? Some are athletic or some book smart? No its genetics. Plain and simple.
Some are born into a wealthy family I guess you can say they were lucky. I say it was by chance.
If I won the lottery some would say it was luck. I say it was by chance. In my case it would be a damned miracle because I don't waste my money on lottery tickets. LOL
According to some anyone who makes over 250 g a year is rich.
According to some if you own 50 acres of land and the gas company pays you 300 an acre each month for the gas that they pump out you are rich.
Some say its luck.
No it is what it is. I could have bought 100 acres for 1/3 more than I paid for my land but I didnt want to live on the side of a mountain.
I dont believe in luck never have never will.
Luck and chance are the same thing...

Luck

good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
Luck | Define Luck at Dictionary.com

Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:

Luck
good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
You beat me to it, and Genetics is luck/chance. You don't get to pick your DNA before you are born.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570;21366224

The point I'm making is that if you make 20 million a year-- luck had something to do with it. You think it didn't obviously, and that is completely silly.

If luck has nothing to do with it-- then why don't [I
you [/i]make 20 million a year, are you not a hard worker? Not smart enough?

Anyone can make < 300K (number is example-- not set in stone) per year, but it takes some luck to make multi-millions a year.
I don't make 20 million a year because I'm NOT smart enough, and don't work hard enough. I don't have a head for math, but I am artistically talented. I don't want to work 80 hours a week, and don't want to work harder than my 8-5, Monday through Friday. But I don't whine about it, because I wasn't raised in the generation that thinks I should succeed just because I'm special.

Luck has NOTHING to do with it. There is no such thing. There is "life happens". But it happens to everyone. It's how you deal with hand life gave you that results in your success of failure. I'm working for a company that may result in a big paycheck, that I hope to invest, and get rich. Is that luck? Hardly. I found the job by chance, got the job because of my artistic talent and willingness to do what the job demands, and stay here because I'm smart enough to see the potential of this business. If I succeed, it's because of the choices I'm making. If it turns out to be bust, it's because of the choices I'm making.

As my dad used to say - "if I'd only been born rich instead of good looking."

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-20-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:

Luck
depends on how one defines luck. To me luck is belief in some spiritual or super natural intervention. As in cosmic forces were at play.
Chance is a random event. It was by chance that I found a dollar on the ground. Someone dropped it. Someone was bound to find it. I was the first one walking by to see it. No luck involved.
Luck is a superstition .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies