Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

So why aren't you?

Some would consider me rich...I don't, but I don't have to worry about finances nearly as much as a lot of people that I know. How did I get this way, mostly just luck. I have a few talents, but it did not have to work for them, I was just born with them...luck.

I know people that manager their money well and work three times harder than I do, but have little or no money to spare and are just barely making ends meet.

Someone will say that some people are stupid. Well if you are not very intelligent or you are intelligent is that not just luck as well.

The fact is that the belief that if you work hard and look to the future you too could become rich is simply a gross exaggeration. While it is true, and there is anecdotal evidence to show it, some will and do become rich, your odds are not that great. You do increase your odds by working hard and making good decisions, but not everyone can become rich no matter if they all work very hard and all make very good decisions. It is mathamatically impossible as their is a finite amount of wealth.

So at the end of the day the very wealthy should not be put on pedestals for simply being lucky and the middle class and working poor should not be looked down upon for being unlucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
If you have worked hard and managed your money you should be rich...right?

Yes. And that is how it has worked out for everyone I know.
Everyone else is usually just kidding themselves about being smart with their money. Or they don't really know what working hard is.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you have worked hard and managed your money you should be rich...right?

Yes. And that is how it has worked out for everyone I know.
Everyone else is usually just kidding themselves about being smart with their money. Or they don't really know what working hard is.
So all of your friends are rich, and the ones that are not it is their fault?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
There are myriad factors that contribute to all of this stuff, yes.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
There are myriad factors that contribute to all of this stuff, yes.
Yes, and most are beyond one's control. We don't get to pick where we are born. We don't get to pick who our parents are. We don't get to pick how intelligent we are.

No matter how much I train and dedicate myself to winning a gold medal in the 100 meter dash in the Olympics it is not going to happen. It has little to do with my desire, effort or any decision made on my part. It has everything to do with genetics, which is all luck or chance.

Last edited by hotair2; 10-19-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So all of your friends are rich, and the ones that are not it is their fault?
No, all my friends are not rich. But it's pretty easy to see why the ones who are rich are rich and the ones who aren't aren't.

For some people, it's not a priority. That's their business. For some people, they are really effin' stupid about their finances.

But I don't know anyone who played the game right and didn't sit pretty damn comfortable at the end of the day. Including immigrants who came to this country with no money and no help.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
What IS rich though?

You can still make $150K a year and still live paycheck to paycheck.
If you have a $12 an hour worker vs a salaried worker making $150K a year... and the $12 an hour lives within his means and has 30% of his income as saveable & disposable... whereas the guy making $150K only has 5% of his income that's disposable because of his spending habits. Sure the AMOUNT of that 5% is more than the $12er's 30%.. but the $12er has a lot more room to breathe and not be overwhelmed by bills/debt.

So in this situation -- who is really the rich person?

To anyone that spends their money wrecklessly -- despite income -- is doomed for failure. If the $150K person lived WELL in their means (and clearly they can)... they would be rich. Imagine making $150K a year and living a $20k a year lifestyle? THAT'S where the person is "rich". But making $150K and living $145K lifestyle.....you just have a lot of flashy items.

It really depends on whatever someone's definition is.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
So why aren't you?

Some would consider me rich...I don't, but I don't have to worry about finances nearly as much as a lot of people that I know. How did I get this way, mostly just luck. I have a few talents, but it did not have to work for them, I was just born with them...luck.

I know people that manager their money well and work three times harder than I do, but have little or no money to spare and are just barely making ends meet.

Someone will say that some people are stupid. Well if you are not very intelligent or you are intelligent is that not just luck as well.

The fact is that the belief that if you work hard and look to the future you too could become rich is simply a gross exaggeration. While it is true, and there is anecdotal evidence to show it, some will and do become rich, your odds are not that great. You do increase your odds by working hard and making good decisions, but not everyone can become rich no matter if they all work very hard and all make very good decisions. It is mathamatically impossible as their is a finite amount of wealth.

So at the end of the day the very wealthy should not be put on pedestals for simply being lucky and the middle class and working poor should not be looked down upon for being unlucky.

Good post. I especially agree with the bolded part.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, and most are beyond one's control. We don't get to pick where we are born. We don't get to pick who our parents are. We don't get to pick how intelligent we are..
Success in life has nothing to do with intelligence, genetics, parents, the boogie man, etc.

The only common denominator I have seen in successful people, whether they are athletes or business owners (I know a lot of business owners, and most of them are not extraordinarily smart and a lot of them come from total hick backgrounds) or professionals or olympic athletes...is DISCIPLINE.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, all my friends are not rich. But it's pretty easy to see why the ones who are rich are rich and the ones who aren't aren't.

For some people, it's not a priority. That's their business. For some people, they are really effin' stupid about their finances.

But I don't know anyone who played the game right and didn't sit pretty damn comfortable at the end of the day. Including immigrants who came to this country with no money and no help.
Well you live in Texas. Could that not have a little to do with it? What if you grew up in Mississippi? I think we also need to define what rich is? If we use the lowest number that people, not me, use to define Rich, 250K a year. Do you think any of your friends could be making that a year if they really tried?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies