Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
As far as I know they don't print money the government does.
Government has delegated that to the Fed through the Federal Reserve Act, which is one issue.

the Fed has delegated that to private banks through the extreme loosening of reserve requirements, which is the real problem.

Quote:
Again why would I care about the rich and the wealth gap?
Because this system that has facilitated the rich getting richer, does so by devaluing your purchasing power. Budget deficits aren't the only way. I mean hell, when someone borrows from a bank , where exactly do you think that money comes from? Deposits? hah. No, your purchasing power as a user and holder of US Dollars is being used to create HELOCs for people who won't pay them back. Then when they won't pay them back, your purchasing power is used AGAIN to make up for the bank's losses.

It's really not the rich themselves you should be concerned with, it is the details of the financial system which has facilitated their wealth. With this sort of financial system, the banks get rich, the reckless borrowers do fine, and all the responsible people get screwed. This is no way to operate.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 10-20-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
lol Bush was not a conservative and now the Republicans don't like Bush.
To bad you can't evict someone from the party they have to leave by themselves.
However Herman Cain seems to understand our economy better than ANYONE in the government now or running (Including the Major Error of 2008 Obama)
As i like to say if you want to keep unemployment at 9% Obama is the way to go.
If you want the politics game to stop and get our economy moving again Herman Cain 2012.
Herman Cain is THE ONLY NON POLITICIAN RUNNING FOR OFFICE! remember that.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
My parents have started watching Faux News and have become hard-right-wing Conservatives and followed Beck religiously (so much so that they believe Obama is the Anti-Christ.
Why were they watching MSNBC?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Government has delegated that to the Fed through the Federal Reserve Act, which is one issue.

the Fed has delegated that to private banks through the extreme loosening of reserve requirements, which is the real problem.

Because this system that has facilitated the rich getting richer, does so by devaluing your purchasing power. Budget deficits aren't the only way. I mean hell, when someone borrows from a bank , where exactly do you think that money comes from? Deposits? hah. No, your purchasing power as a user and holder of US Dollars is being used to create HELOCs for people who won't pay them back. Then when they won't pay them back, your purchasing power is used AGAIN to make up for the bank's losses.

It's really not the rich themselves you should be concerned with, it is the details of the financial system which has facilitated their wealth. With this sort of financial system, the banks get rich, the reckless borrowers do fine, and all the responsible people get screwed. This is no way to operate.
I am concerned with the financial system but I can't care less about rich individuals as long as they don't break the law.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have become much more of a 'classical liberal' as I've gotten older. In other words oriented towards the individualism of John Locke, Adam Smith, and the Founding Fathers of the US. Does that count?

They were the original liberals before the word was hijacked and took on the connotation of collectivism, the opposite of the original meaning.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
You will return to being a conservative as soon as you accumulate enough through your own means worth "conserving".

Liberals have nothing and just want part of YOURS.
That is not true in all cases. My income is higher now than it's been at any time and I'm more liberal than I've been for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you bought up the hope and change line. How's that working out for ya??
Plagiarize Sarah Palin much?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
If so, what was the major turning point for you. It's just that both generally and personally, I always hear people converting the other way around as they get older. I myself voted for John Kerry in '04 at the ripe old age of 18(that's why 18-yr. olds shouldn't vote) and am so conservative now i vote Constitution Party (when possible).
Anyone who would say they went from consertive to liberal can't be trusted. No one would be stupid, so anyone saying so is a plant...!!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Anyone who would say they went from consertive to liberal can't be trusted. No one would be stupid, so anyone saying so is a plant...!!
I agree, that doesn't sound right to me either.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
But I suppose liberals who switched to conservatives are "trustworthy" then (i.e. David Duke, Bill Bennett, Rick Perry, etc.) ...?!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
I think a lot of former conservatives haven't become liberals, as much as independents. I personnally was more conservative, but became appalled at the direction the movement had taken.
The influence of the Religious Right moved conservativism in the wrong direction. Belief has replaced reason; ignorance is something to display proudly, and most importantly stoicism has given way to situational relativism. Furthermore conservativism has become an identity ideology, where anyone other than a white, protestant, heterosexual is treated with suspicion or outright hostility. Finally conservative economics have shifted from the working class and the small business owner to the super-wealthy and multi-nationals. The singular focus of conservatives is now removing all obstacles to super-wealthy to accumulate yet more wealth, at the expense of all others.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I am concerned with the financial system
UNDERSTANDING MODERN MONETARY THEORY (MMT) & OUR MODERN MONETARY SYSTEM | PRAGMATIC CAPITALISM

knock yourself out

anyone who pretends to be a fiscal conservative oughta at least understand this theory, but instead we have Rick Perry talking about buried treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies