Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM

913 posts, read 872,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Pure deregulation, to me, is a mythical concept that does not actually exist.. like the "free market."

That is what I am saying: it is impossible.
cletus, i actually agree with you, not so much that it's a mythical concept, but rather that it will never happen. i personally would like to see a 10th amendment president dish it all out to the states. i'm a believer that competition is the force which makes everything better in life. if there is one thing that i hate it's monopoly. monopolies make everything in life worse imo. in saying that, i don't distinguish between private and govt competition. govts should compete to show that they can deliver the best services for the lowest price. now i can understand that for smaller states to regulate everything would be cumbersome. they could however privatize the function or share the it with other states or they could deregulate totally. the first state to do so would experience an influx of new business in that field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
cletus, i actually agree with you, not so much that it's a mythical concept, but rather that it will never happen. i personally would like to see a 10th amendment president dish it all out to the states. i'm a believer that competition is the force which makes everything better in life. if there is one thing that i hate it's monopoly. monopolies make everything in life worse imo. in saying that, i don't distinguish between private and govt competition. govts should compete to show that they can deliver the best services for the lowest price. now i can understand that for smaller states to regulate everything would be cumbersome. they could however privatize the function or share the it with other states or they could deregulate totally. the first state to do so would experience an influx of new business in that field
"The regulatory failures that helped to worsen the financial crisis were largely a result of an outdated system that had been designed to handle traditional banking transactions, such as deposits and loans, and was not geared for the “revolution in banking” that occurred in the past 30 years, said David S. Scharfstein, Edmund Cogswell Converse Professor of Finance and Banking at Harvard Business School."

What say you?

Undoing the damage | Harvard Gazette

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
cletus, i actually agree with you, not so much that it's a mythical concept, but rather that it will never happen. i personally would like to see a 10th amendment president dish it all out to the states. i'm a believer that competition is the force which makes everything better in life. if there is one thing that i hate it's monopoly. monopolies make everything in life worse imo. in saying that, i don't distinguish between private and govt competition. govts should compete to show that they can deliver the best services for the lowest price.
we agree on that. increasing competition is a critical goal.

the people i typically disagree with are those who say that deregulation always increases competition. i think the reality just isn't that simple.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
i'm a believer that competition is the force which makes everything better in life. if there is one thing that i hate it's monopoly. monopolies make everything in life worse imo. in saying that, i don't distinguish between private and govt competition. govts should compete to show that they can deliver the best services for the lowest price.
So law enforcement should be privatized? What about the military?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I'm not really understanding the reasoning behind continuing deregulation. That's like if after the 9/11 attacks it was discovered that airport security was too lax. But when politicians then make policies for greater airport security, you don't support them because it might decrease some incentive to fly.

A panel of Harvard economic experts in examining the causes for the recession deemed deregulation was one of the major factors. How can solve a problem without going to its roots? David S. Scharfstein, professor of Finance and Banking at Harvard Business School said one fo the reasons for the recession was "We did not adapt a regulatory system to deal with that new form of banking" or "Shadow Banking" as he calls it. He also says that the Dodd-Frank reforms are an important first step in creating a regulatory regime that can begin to police banks more strictly.

Undoing the damage | Harvard Gazette

harvard, mit, princeton, yale have hosts of economists. for this argument, i'll divide them into 2 groups. those who accurately predicted the housing bust and the resulting financial crisis and economic depression. then there are the ivy league economists who didn't predict it, or saw a small slowdown.

now i know who i'd be lisetning to, and those economists didn't suggest for one second that a lack of regulation would result in a huge collapse.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
So law enforcement should be privatized? What about the military?
large parts of law enforcement and the military are privatized. ever heard of a security guard. how about blackwater? heard of them.

that however is not what i propose. from a law enforcement point of view, i believe the people should do the majority of the police work. imo, law enforcement is first and foremost a community function. the big problem with this is that 90% of the laws are considered unjust by the people. to enforce the kinda law that the big boys want enforced, they have to hire mindless thugs without conscience.

i don't agree with defense contractors and i don't agree with privatized prisons. i'm a bit torn on the issue of a draft but that's another issue.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Nothing wrong IMHO with privatization per se. I've seen it work wonderfully.

There are just some things that really should not be privatized, and the idea of privatized law enforcement gives me the willies.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
harvard, mit, princeton, yale have hosts of economists. for this argument, i'll divide them into 2 groups. those who accurately predicted the housing bust and the resulting financial crisis and economic depression. then there are the ivy league economists who didn't predict it, or saw a small slowdown.

now i know who i'd be lisetning to, and those economists didn't suggest for one second that a lack of regulation would result in a huge collapse.
Economist predicts housing downturn - USATODAY.com

Just to sum it for you, Yale economist predicts recession and advocated the creation of a new federal commission, modeled after the Consumer Product Safety Commission, to detect abusive lending practices that critics say were common in the market for loans made to people with weak credit.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
large parts of law enforcement and the military are privatized. ever heard of a security guard. how about blackwater? heard of them.

that however is not what i propose. from a law enforcement point of view, i believe the people should do the majority of the police work. imo, law enforcement is first and foremost a community function. the big problem with this is that 90% of the laws are considered unjust by the people. to enforce the kinda law that the big boys want enforced, they have to hire mindless thugs without conscience.

i don't agree with defense contractors and i don't agree with privatized prisons. i'm a bit torn on the issue of a draft but that's another issue.
So then you basically just recanted your own statement that competition always makes things better.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
What? This is foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies