Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I stayed in school, got great grades, didn't party or do drugs, but it didn't pay off for me.

And it's really hard to spend less than you earn if you're paying 50 to 70 percent of your income to keep a roof over your head.
Move in with 2 - 3 other people. If you don't want to do that move back home with the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
More austrian economics. He is advocating removing all safety nets so people will just hold on a little tighter...so what happens when they actually fall...Too bad I guess.

In reality he is calling for greater productivity (hold on tighter) for workers. How has that worked so far.

As you can see from the chart below, although productivity has gone up because hourly wages have stayed the same. I think the graph shows that Austrian economics is not going to end the income disparity.
No Austrian has ever made the claim that following their economic policies will end income disparity.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Poverty is more of a mental problem then a financial one. I know people that make 3 k a week that are broke.

I don't make 3k a quarter and I'm broke. Is that a mental problem? If I change my mind I won't be broke anymore?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
I don't get how eliminating the mortgage deduction helps the middle class, why own a house, why not just rent and have less headaches. Rich people aren't the only ones who own houses.

Personally I want to work for a company that makes a ton of money, and I don't care if the CEO makes 1 million or twenty million a year. The only problem that I have is when is when the CEO who makes twenty million a year lays off employees and makes twenty five million the following year. A true CEO who cares about their buisness cuts back during hard times, lays employees off and takes a lesser salary, not a greater one.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
When did this 'income inequality start? Is this some new complaint?
Or has it been with us for thousands of years. Even last century some people attempted to 'fix' things. Anyone remember the Communist experiment in the old soviet bloc of nations? Didn't work out too well.
Liberals always think there is 'inequality' when someone has a dollar more than them.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Move in with 2 - 3 other people. If you don't want to do that move back home with the parents.

I'm renting a room in a house with four other people but it's 40 percent of my income.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I don't make 3k a quarter and I'm broke. Is that a mental problem? If I change my mind I won't be broke anymore?
Yeah, you need to change your mentality. It's really that simple. Stop being part of the herd and you'll find new and innovative ways to make money.

Go outside the box.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I'm renting a room in a house with four other people but it's 40 percent of my income.
Then move back in with your parents and pay off your loans. When you're done help pay them back for their headache in dealing with you.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Or has it been with us for thousands of years. Even last century some people attempted to 'fix' things. Anyone remember the Communist experiment in the old soviet bloc of nations? Didn't work out too well.
Liberals always think there is 'inequality' when someone has a dollar more than them.
Income inequality was the same in 2007 as it was in 1929.

The highest income inequality of all times in the US was in the late 1990's. That time where liberals look to for paying off the debt.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post

Income inequality declined between WWII and (approx) the mid 1970s and has been creeping up since. Finally people are noticing. Probably has something to do with downward mobility and declining opportunity for younger Americans. A common worry today - unprecedented in known American history - is that our children will be worse off than we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies