Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
 
6,137 posts, read 4,876,855 times
Reputation: 1517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not at all. I've shown ( i could list a Dozen other countries) all with highly progressive tax systems, all with low gaps between rich and poor, that have a standard of living higher or as high as the USA.

Not to prove that redistribution is the reason, but that you can have redistrubution and the country "works".

Unlike what right wing bull crap tells us.
You haven't shown a thing. How can you even compare America with a country smaller than most of our metropolitan areas and a vastly different culture and population? You do realize that what works in one country might not work in another right? That's like me comparing Vermont to Texas.

You all love to champion these little countries like Norway and Denmark as if it has any relevance to anything. It doesn't. The closest thing to a comparable country in Europe is the UK and last time I checked they aren't doing so great.

Your argument is completely short sighted and dishonest, and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes they are different alright. They have one of the highest IQ of a nation in the World. .....And what's your answer?.......Let's do the opposite of what the smart people do......LOL
Nah, we should just emulate them blindly and hope it works here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think he is right. Stupid is a choice. LOL.
Stupid is having intentional tunnel vision. Stupid is blindly following what others do because it works in a completely different situation from your own.

-

Oh and padcrasher weren't you in another thread just yesterday posting about how red states sucked because conservatives had lower IQs? But I'm sure if we became like Denmark, all that would just be cured immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM
 
20,947 posts, read 19,116,065 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not at all. I've shown ( i could list a Dozen other countries) all with highly progressive tax systems, all with low gaps between rich and poor, that have a standard of living higher or as high as the USA.

Not to prove that redistribution is the reason, but that you can have redistrubution and the country "works".

Unlike what right wing bull crap tells us.
You lefties always forget that we have a Constitution that allows for the freedom to be wealthy, as well as being poor and everywhere else in between.

I can do better with my earnings than the government can.

Thank God for liberty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
 
12,436 posts, read 11,988,251 times
Reputation: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You lefties always forget that we have a Constitution that allows for the freedom to be wealthy, as well as being poor and everywhere else in between.

I can do better with my earnings than the government can.

Thank God for liberty!
We also have a constitution that allows for wealth to be taxed. Thank God for Liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
 
7,546 posts, read 11,427,814 times
Reputation: 3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"Redistrubution doesn't work."

Denmark

Highest taxes in the World.
Biggest goverment in relation to GDP in the World
Has one of the most progressive tax system in the World
Has one of the smallest gaps between rich and poor in the World

Also the happiest country in the World...
Notice he said in the long run redistribution doesn't work or that it can come with complications.

Even Denmark is experiencing the complications that can come with a larger welfare approach.



Quote:
“The cold fact is that the longer you are out of a job, the more difficult it is to get a job,” Claus Hjort Frederiksen, the Danish finance minister, said during an interview. “Four years of unemployment is a luxury we can no longer allow ourselves.”

Denmark Trims Its Generous Safety Net - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,802 posts, read 8,929,043 times
Reputation: 4512
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"Redistrubution doesn't work."

Denmark

Highest taxes in the World.
Biggest goverment in relation to GDP in the World
Has one of the most progressive tax system in the World
Has one of the smallest gaps between rich and poor in the World

Also the happiest country in the World
One of the least corrupt countries in the World
A higher standard of living than the USA
Most press freedoms in the World
Most educated, universal health care, wonderful vacation/retirement benefits.

"Redistribution doesn't work"......LOL

How long are white middle class voters going to fall for this right wing propaganda that income inequality is a good thing?
They also have only 4.4 million people have have grown a pair of balls as it pertains to illegal immigration to their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
 
13,186 posts, read 15,022,703 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You lefties always forget that we have a Constitution that allows for the freedom to be wealthy, as well as being poor and everywhere else in between.

I can do better with my earnings than the government can.

Thank God for liberty!
Look. I know you think you're such a great patriot and loyal working man with your working man work ethic....LOL

But the fact of the matter is your counterpart in some slum in Calcutta India, and you counterpart in some Rio flavela...is bragging how loyal and how great they it have as well.


Scared, low IQ, worker ants, playing the house servant act, so some rich boss throws them a bone doesn't impress me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
 
20,947 posts, read 19,116,065 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
We also have a constitution that allows for wealth to be taxed. Thank God for Liberty.
It doesn't allow for the spending.

Please read the document.

Ignorance is bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
 
6,137 posts, read 4,876,855 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Notice he said in the long run redistribution doesn't work or that it can come with complications.
Redistribution can work in the short term, but I don't believe these modern European systems will work in the long term as generations become accustomed to it. It's already starting to crumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Even Denmark is experiencing the complications that can come with a larger welfare approach.
Denmark? I think you mean Denmark along with pretty much every other country in Europe.

Can The European Welfare State Survive? : NPR


Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Scared, low IQ, worker ants hoping some rich boss throws them a bone don't impress me.
And blind followers of emotion who ignore the facts in order to argue in favor of their utopian vision of society don't impress me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
 
13,704 posts, read 20,869,856 times
Reputation: 7702
Income Inequality: What To Do About It?

Nothing. Unless someone can justify paying Joe Biden the same salary as the guy who shines my shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,397 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Reputation: 40896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Eliminate the mortgage deduction. This will cause the rich to intermingle more with the poor and middle-class.

Can't get trickled-down upon if you're nowhere near the rain!


Psssssssst! That moisture tricklin' down on ya ain't rain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top