Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,094,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This problem has been studied since the days of Plato, when he concluded that the wealthy should earn no more than 6 times the average worker.
He was right, when income disparity grows, then the wealthy use their advantage to gain more advantage until the system is so unfair it causes revolution.
But like any other addict, the money addicts can never see when they have crossed the line.
There is only one way, to insure fairness and that is taxation.
When the US taxed the top brackets 90% we had a strong economy and a contented, happy population.
The rich will always lie, cheat, and steal. The only way to level the playing field is thru taxation.

That is simply not true. I have busted my can for 15 yrs, have a skill that is in high demand, hence higher pay. Why in the hell should I have money taken from me when i worked hard, sacrificed, and strategically planned my future. I did my time living with roomates, had no health insurance, ate mac and cheese....so why should I be required to give my income away forcefully..to those who did not work as hard as me? Just becasue they have their hand out saying give me? No, I will pass on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
That is simply not true. I have busted my can for 15 yrs, have a skill that is in high demand, hence higher pay. Why in the hell should I have money taken from me when i worked hard, sacrificed, and strategically planned my future. I did my time living with roomates, had no health insurance, ate mac and cheese....so why should I be required to give my incaome away forcefully..to those who did not work as hard as me? Just becasue they have theri hand out saying give me? No, I will pass on that...
LOL at the idea that you are one of the 'wealthy elite' who deserves higher taxes. I'm sure you're posting this on your private jet, on the way to the azores.

i get a kick out of you folks.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
LOL at the idea that you are one of the 'wealthy elite' who deserves higher taxes. I'm sure you're posting this on your private jet, on the way to the azores.

i get a kick out of you folks.

Funny, no...I am not on a private jet Cletus Joe. I work for a company, 700 AM -600 PM like eveyone else. I simply refuse to buy into the notion that people deserve handouts because they ask for it, and because life is tough. I took 65K in school loans, worked multiple jobs while I completed 3 college degrees. I lived like a pauper for my first 15 yrs of my adult life, lived with roommies until age 30+, did not have helath insurance for 5+ yrs, waited to get married until I could afford to pay for the wedding, did not mooch off my parents to pay my bills, joined the military in college to help defray school costs....basically outworked everyone else. So I am simply out of sympathy...if I could work like that and sacrifice so can everyone else. People make stupid choices than they have to live with the consequences. I will not agree to higher taxes, ..plus giving more handouts (to silly "needed" programs) do not instill a hard work ethic and create dependence..which is not what this country is based on. I also believe a person has a right to keep what they earn. So go smoke that in your pipe. If someone can afford a private jet, than good for them....I can't now, but hope to one day...

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,407,775 times
limitations, limitations, limitations-yes I don't understand why a person has such trouble putting on a decent presentation, and cleaning up is so, so hard, and improving oneself-what an unfair requirement from a culture; so many barriers. And you are correct, if I can do it anyone can, I am not special, gifted or talented and yet this crummy country has so many opportunities besides letting one be stupid, dirty, addicted, crummy parents, crummy students, etc. I worked my entire working life in low pay, lower class jobs and I never have associated with the rich during that time, and I found these people, many of them (as there were many good people amongst them) in these jobs to be "money addicts", lazy, thieves, drunks, drug users, some stunk, inept, did not care to self improve, spent their money on booze, cigs, and such, neglected their families, like data forum; coagulated into mutual supporting group think to develop excuses for failure, despised education.........well I could go on but needless to say I am not in love or idealize these people. When one has been around awhile, and if one is not infected with all the drivel humanitarian and social idealizations of classes of people one finds for the most part that people grow into the most self deluding and destructing rabble.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,543,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
When the US taxed the top brackets 90% we had a strong economy and a contented, happy population.
but let's not forget some of the facts of theose 90% times

1..the top bracket was 400k plus...that would be 3 million plus in todays's dollars...not the 300k top bracket we currently have...and the bottom rate was NOT the 10% we have now..the BOTTOM RATE in the 1950's was 22.2%

2. there were many many loopholes..the EFFECTIVE rate was actually LOWER than it is today...in otherwords the rich pay MORE today than they did in the 50's....one of ... The largest was 1017-1 so if you put a dollar in your company you got to deduct 1017. You could also deduct all interest on credit cards, hell everything was deductible get a copy of 1950’s tax return.

3. since the 50's we have added thousands of little(and some not so little) taxes....for example in the 50's there was no gas tax, no cigarette tax, and the SS contribution was 3% (1.5 from individual, and 1.5 from employeer)...today its almost 13% (62 from individaul, and 6.2 from eployeer(currently down to 4.2 under a temp reduction that expires on dec31))...

4. 'happy and content population".....???? depends on your defination........Houses were smaller. Most families had one car (if any). Medical care was about what you’d get at a minor emergency center, at best.....Basically, everyone’s standard of living was probably about the level of what the poor/lower-middle class is today.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but let's not forget some of the facts of theose 90% times

1..the top bracket was 400k plus...that would be 3 million plus in todays's dollars...not the 300k top bracket we currently have...and the bottom rate was NOT the 10% we have now..the BOTTOM RATE in the 1950's was 22.2%

2. there were many many loopholes..the EFFECTIVE rate was actually LOWER than it is today...in otherwords the rich pay MORE today than they did in the 50's....one of ... The largest was 1017-1 so if you put a dollar in your company you got to deduct 1017. You could also deduct all interest on credit cards, hell everything was deductible get a copy of 1950’s tax return.

3. since the 50's we have added thousands of little(and some not so little) taxes....for example in the 50's there was no gas tax, no cigarette tax, and the SS contribution was 3% (1.5 from individual, and 1.5 from employeer)...today its almost 13% (62 from individaul, and 6.2 from eployeer(currently down to 4.2 under a temp reduction that expires on dec31))...

4. 'happy and content population".....???? depends on your defination........Houses were smaller. Most families had one car (if any). Medical care was about what you’d get at a minor emergency center, at best.....Basically, everyone’s standard of living was probably about the level of what the poor/lower-middle class is today.
Great comments....illustrates why one has to dig deeper than relying on superficial broad statements..

Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Funny, no...I am not on a private jet Cletus Joe. I work for a company, 700 AM -600 PM like eveyone else. I simply refuse to buy into the notion that people deserve handouts because they ask for it, and because life is tough.

how is the fact that "life is tough" justify our corrupt system? that's what i can't figure out.

Quote:
People make stupid choices than they have to live with the consequences.
you don't seem to grasp what is going on.

we have people who made stupid choices, HUGE stupid choices, and they are getting money by the truckload. These are NOT the poor people, these are the financiers.

then we have people who made smart choices, and they are getting screwed. Presumably, that's you.

that's the cause of wealth inequality. not welfare, or handouts to the poor. Yet, for some reason, you're preoccupied with the inconsequential amount of money that is given to the poor.

Quote:
I also believe a person has a right to keep what they earn.
Do you think people have a right to take what they didn't earn? That's what this is really about.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,877,129 times
Ship the illegals home, raise capital gains taxes, decouple the large banks from our economy and stop allowing unlimited corporate tax contributions. It's disgusting that Goldman Sacks was Obama's largest campaign contributor. At some point we're going to have to have two parties again instead of just one.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,607,875 times
To really address it, you would need to admit that it's much more complex than just asking one group to give their money to another. This issue is a symptom of many things in our society combined.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM

89,327 posts, read 45,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
I don't understand why a person has such trouble putting on a decent presentation, and cleaning up is so, so hard, and improving oneself-what an unfair requirement
Exactly.

Instead, it's just "Gimme, gimme gimme."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies