Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Huffington Post? I was banned there to because the libbies would flag me for anything and finally they just banned me.
hahahaha....... I was also shown the door at puff-ho, but I kinda asked for it after I realized how the deck was stacked.

I'm in the middle of the road, but that place is a liberal pit of despair. No use for it. Haven't read it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I think the moderators do a good job on this forum. I also think that like most political forums, and most conversations for that matter, you get back what you put in. When people start slinging insults, I always think that, really, they are just trying to shut someone else up. That's not a conversation.

This forum leans to the right, but not overwhelmingly so. I've been on other forums (maybe the same ones that Aero's been to) that have been very left-leaning, and when one political perspective dominates a forum, I think that it's a loss. Those forums aren't as interesting, and it's important, no matter what a person's political ideology, to learn about other people's perspectives and why they think the way they do. I've had many productive, interesting conversations with people who have completely opposite ideology to my own, but they've offered not only the facts and data to support their conclusions, but information about themselves that makes it easier to understand where they are coming from.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
hahahaha....... I was also shown the door at puff-ho, but I kinda asked for it after I realized how the deck was stacked.

I'm in the middle of the road, but that place is a liberal pit of despair. No use for it. Haven't read it since.
Well I am a liberal and I have read the forum there and it is too close to an echo chamber for me. It is much better to think than to have group think.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the moderators do a good job on this forum. I also think that like most political forums, and most conversations for that matter, you get back what you put in. When people start slinging insults, I always think that, really, they are just trying to shut someone else up. That's not a conversation.

This forum leans to the right, but not overwhelmingly so. I've been on other forums (maybe the same ones that Aero's been to) that have been very left-leaning, and when one political perspective dominates a forum, I think that it's a loss. Those forums aren't as interesting, and it's important, no matter what a person's political ideology, to learn about other people's perspectives and why they think the way they do. I've had many productive, interesting conversations with people who have completely opposite ideology to my own, but they've offered not only the facts and data to support their conclusions, but information about themselves that makes it easier to understand where they are coming from.
Yep, DC is one of my favorite posters. Always civil and takes the time to write a well thought out articulate post.

Just direct mail me and I can send you the address of where to send the check.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Along with that, Obama has been one of the most devisive Presidents in history. The most arrogant, narcissistic jack ass in this nations history. He has failed to provide hope and confidence to get this economy moving again. He has added more to our nations debt than ever before. He needs to go back to Community Organizing because he is in no way fit to lead. He is nothing but a man child who sees America and our Constitution as deeply flawed and in need of transforming. I pray to God him and ungrateful wife are thrown right out the door in 2012. And I cant wait to hear all the whining and complaining and race card playing from both of them.

This is what you call a good forum? What happened to actually analyzing someone's policies from a purely economic or political perspective? This represents 90% of the post.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've created a username in several different online political forums over the past few years, and what i've experienced is that hardly any of those forums offer a wide array of viewpoints. Either they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise liberals, or they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise conservatives. Very rarely is there a relatively equal share of viewpoints to promote good debate.

In fact, I joined one forum that was vehemently liberal and was banned 3 seperate times for offering conservative views. Keep in mind, this forum didn't "advertise" that it was a liberal haven...it quite simply had become a liberal fortress and the members had no desire whatsoever to entertain conservative viewpoints. Three usernames, three seperate bans. All for being a conservative.

With that being said, the C-D Political Forum is actually a fairly decent place to discuss current political events. At least from my experience.

What say you?
The biggest problem here is being able to rationally discuss a topic because the thread gets overwhelmed by pages of the far left and far right adding zero comment beyond name calling. You make a point or ask a question and it's buried by 2 pages of utter garbage.

P.S. There are a few CD sub-forums where the environment isn't that far from what you described.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
This is what you call a good forum? What happened to actually analyzing someone's policies from a purely economic or political perspective? This represents 90% of the post.
It makes for a good sociopolitical forum. We're definitely not going to rival C-span in here, but getting to the heart of public opinion, for the demographic that runs here, is pretty easy to do.

Nobody minces words

Old 10-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm one of the "liberals" though my friends IRL would laugh at that label, and my "problem" is I like to post about stuff I know! So I stay off of certain threads, e.g. global warming, cuz I can't discuss it scientifically. It slays me to see so many people posting on health care who don't know squat about health care delivery, health care financing, etc, what health care even IS (and isn't). This goes for both sides but is certainly more prevalent on the right, IMO.
Excellent point, I haven't done a study as to which side does it more but there are a whole lot of people that can't understand the concepts they are railing about....especially when statistics comes into play.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
HaHa. I know right. I try to put the ones on ignore that never have anything relevant or interesting to say. I don't put people on ignore if I just disagree with them. You can always learn something. I have changed my mind on things when I look at it from a different perspective.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Did you count me? There are far more than 5 they are just not as prolific in posting as the conservatives.
I would agree with this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies