Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times

Advertisements

I thought occurred to me that perhaps we on this board are too hung up on being liberal or conservative while we argue fine points of the republicans or democrats. so I attempt this thread.
I personally think people should be responsible for what they do in life and should rely as little as possible on the federal governemnt to take care of themselves.
So forget the usual insults about rep and Dem's and how do you feel on the continuum of personal responsibility compared to dependence on governemnt to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Why does it need to be one extreme or the other?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why does it need to be one extreme or the other?
I do not think there needs to be since i used the term in the continuum between the two

Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
As a man, a husband, a father, a professional, and as a liberal I absolutely ascribe to the belief that we are all personally responsible for the things we do. It is one of the absolutes that I have striven to teach my child and one that she has accepted with few exceptions during her brief life on this planet. But I also recognize that there are times when bad choices have detrimental affects on the lives of others and at the end of the day someone has to make the situation right.

Call it the Judeo-Christian ethic that was hammered into my head before I became an atheist, call it a sense of humanity, but as much as I believe in individuals taking responsibility for their actions, I just as strongly believe that society, we, I have an obligation to help those who have made bad choices and more importantly those who suffer as a result of the bad choices of others.

It is unconscionable for me, as a human being, to turn my back on any other human being other than those who are so incorrigible as to be beyond the help of society or myself as an individual. That is the bedrock of my political and ethical beliefs which can manifest themselves in policy prescriptions that can be construed as being either liberal or conservative depending upon the circumstances.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I thought occurred to me that perhaps we on this board are too hung up on being liberal or conservative while we argue fine points of the republicans or democrats. so I attempt this thread.
I personally think people should be responsible for what they do in life and should rely as little as possible on the federal governemnt to take care of themselves.
So forget the usual insults about rep and Dem's and how do you feel on the continuum of personal responsibility compared to dependence on governemnt to live?
This is still a fallcious premise because you're assuming these are the only factors in life. Gimme a break.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Everyone should be responsible for himself or herself instead of sucking from the Government unless it is absolutely out of their hands. JMO

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

75 posts, read 54,076 times
I'd say that the idea of personal responsibility for individual success is beneficial as a form of personal motivation but less beneficial as a standard for collective judgement. It's a useful illusion that we all share; when we buy into it, we do better in life, but when we buy into it too much, we turn into *******s.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I believe that only a small segment of our population disagrees with the idea that people should be responsible. The question lies as what services do you expect the government to provide? Do you want the government to mandate morality? Do you want the government to promote religion? Do you want the government to protect the enviroment from polluters? Very few people on here would admit to leaning to one extreme, whether that means virtually no government and a quasi anarchist society, or a complete dependence on government. In summary, your question is loaded and a bit of a strawman, it could be manipulated and interpreted by both the right and the left in their favor or against

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a man, a husband, a father, a professional, and as a liberal I absolutely ascribe to the belief that we are all personally responsible for the things we do. It is one of the absolutes that I have striven to teach my child and one that she has accepted with few exceptions during her brief life on this planet. But I also recognize that there are times when bad choices have detrimental affects on the lives of others and at the end of the day someone has to make the situation right.

Call it the Judeo-Christian ethic that was hammered into my head before I became an atheist, call it a sense of humanity, but as much as I believe in individuals taking responsibility for their actions, I just as strongly believe that society, we, I have an obligation to help those who have made bad choices and more importantly those who suffer as a result of the bad choices of others.

It is unconscionable for me, as a human being, to turn my back on any other human being other than those who are so incorrigible as to be beyond the help of society or myself as an individual. That is the bedrock of my political and ethical beliefs which can manifest themselves in policy prescriptions that can be construed as being either liberal or conservative depending upon the circumstances.

There are many who suffer from the bad decisions of others, and it does not matter to me whether this suffering comes from the hands of religious leaders, family members, strangers, governments, or financial "wizards," things absolutely need to be set right again, or else we end up with an anarchic, violent, desperate, hopeless populace who does not have any hope for the future or safety from the cruelties of selfish decision-makers at the top. The light burns out, and the ones who have made it to the top will live in an ever-increasing darker world, fighting to keep what they have, with little time or energy to enjoy their spoils.

In the end, nobody will win.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if you can get help take it.
but strive to stand on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies