Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

As for Louisiana, I can't wait to see how the state sends in the storm troopers with the tear gas, LRAD, riot gear, to shut down granny's garage sale. There should be lots of good video up an coming.

Maybe we could all just trade. I wonder how the government would handle that.

It's not that far out of reality. They've don SWAT raids on farmers selling raw milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
In all fairness to neo-progressives, it's only a stupid law because a (R) signed it. If Obama signed a national version of this, it would be demeed necessary to reign in those evil black marketers trying to avoid taxes vis-a-vis cash transactions.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Trading won't cut it with goverment. As a business transaction, you can't trade a Rolex watch for a flower pot without a goverment form being involved. Watch is worth $10,000, flower pot $1, therefor the person getting the watch has a $9999 gain. Business bartering is the same thing. Government forms involved. Plumber fixes your toilet, you fix his computer. Someone has a gain and the IRS wants their cut of the action.

But they have to catch people trading, don't they...... not likely.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times
This will vastly increase the costs for the mom-and-pop businesses and rather than spend a lot money (which they don't have) to comply to this, they will just shut down. Guess who that benefits? The big box stores who already have the infrastructure to process credit/debit cards and checks. I bet they lobbied to get this law in place.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Here is the actual bill, for those who wish to read it:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdat...asp?did=760886

I agree, it seems to be reaching a bit.

However, this has nothing to do with paying 'legal debts' with US currency.

The bill has to do with those who operate a business in which they purchase items, such as copper, railroad ties, etc, in order to resale. No legal debt is involved.

So, a person pulls up to a junkyard with a pickup truck full of copper piping, for example, and wishes to sell said copper to the owner. The owner cannot pay the seller cash, but must use a check, money order, etc., as explained in the law.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If I have a booth in a flea market and some dude wants to sell me a slightly used SUV for a grand I would say no thanks because the SUV already has a paper trail. If they wanted to sell me an old blender for a buck I would do the deal and try to sell the blender for $5 and be happy if I got $3 for it.

I may be a leftist but making paper slaves of everone is absurd. Government has its place and garage sales and flea markets are not them.

Last edited by GregW; 10-21-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is the actual bill, for those who wish to read it:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdat...asp?did=760886

I agree, it seems to be reaching a bit.

However, this has nothing to do with paying 'legal debts' with US currency.

The bill has to do with those who operate a business in which they purchase items, such as copper, railroad ties, etc, in order to resale. No legal debt is involved.

So, a person pulls up to a junkyard with a pickup truck full of copper piping, for example, and wishes to sell said copper to the owner. The owner cannot pay the seller cash, but must use a check, money order, etc., as explained in the law.
There is an exclusion that would apply to most "Granny Garage Seller" in that this only applies to those selling more than once a month.
It does not exclude the small (for instance) eBay seller that does buy to re-sell and sells more than once a month.
It can be argued that they are conducting a business and thus far have escaped detection as to whether or not business profits have been declared however, can you see the Salvation Army or Goodwill checking to see who is and who isn't doing this?
Is the fact that these transactions will probably be overlooked and not pursued be acceptable? IOW a law that may not be implemented but makes people lawbreakers?

Had to come back and edit when I rememberd that Goodwill etc wasn't a valid example as non-profits were exempted

Last edited by old_cold; 10-21-2011 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: wrong example used

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
First off, most Louisiana state legislatures who have an (R) by their name were once Democrats or are RINO Republicans who never met a tax or fee they didn't like and vote for. Someone mentioned corruption in Louisiana politics. This is very true. However, the worst of our state's corruption involves members of the Democratic party. A fine example is former governor Edwin Edwards who was recently released from federal prison. Governor Jindal, while having no corruption scandals, isn't living up to the promises and plans he said in his debates during his campaign. During his campaign, he made frequent guest appearances in our state's local conservative radio show, Moon Griffon. However, after he was elected and Moon Griffon began being critical of things Jindal was doing, or not doing, Governor Jindal never once appeared on his show again. He was really hard on Jindal for spending so much time out of state and appearing on national TV rather than working to improve the state. Some Louisiana politicians managed to pass a bill they call economic development when in fact it was to create a man made lake which just happen to be in an area where he and some of his friends and family own land. Louisiana have plenty of ponds and lakes so if a lake was "economic development", we'd be a rich state. At one time, Democratic party politicians had the state and or local police act as their enforcers. Some would get re-elected by having the police round up a large group of drunks or men who wanted to get drunk, lock them in a building with booze, then the next morning take them to the Polls and told exactly who to vote for. This was allowed because they would tell the poll workers the men couldn't read or write and required assistance to vote. When current senator Mary Landrieu first ran for office and appeared she was falling behind, large tour buses were sent into the 9th ward. They went door to door to pick up people. Once they were on the bus, no one could see inside due to the limo tint bus windows. Several bus loads moved close to 10,000 or more "voters" to the polls in one day. This is an old system which is usually followed by these "voters" being paid with cash and or booze for them to vote for the "correct candidate". Because of the limo tint and the corruption of the system, no one was able to prove money changed hands. As for the copper thefts, that's very real. Some people have installed a steel cage around their home AC unit, even window units. In one recent case, an old lady's unit was stolen from inside a steel cage. What's kind of funny is an AC repair company had their office AC stolen during the workday. My cousin's wife works there as their secretary and dispatcher.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
What a joke. Have fun enforcing that one Louisiana......

I still want to move to Louisiana however

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 10-21-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
When hard time hit even nailing stuff down is not enough. Things have to be welded down. Around here scrap dealers ask where you got the junk. Saying you just replaced your plumbing is not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies