Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-smoker and I find cig smoke in a confined space to be very unpleasant. I have had the misfortune to travel on overseas airlines where smoking was permitted, it wasn't fun. On the other hand, I find many non-smokers to be whiny pissants about the whole issue. Banning smoking in public areas, say parks, is just stupid and unnecessary. YOu can't convince me that walking past a smoker and getting a wiff smoke in these situations is going to cause someone to drop over dead. Same in bars or other businesses with decent ventilation, it really isn't, or rather wasn't, an issue.

Some people are just so full of themselves that they look for afffermation of their stance on an issue as some sort of moral superiority. This is particularly true with some non-smokers. I find their pretentiouness far more offensive than a wiff of smoke. (smug alert)

Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
When they invade my airspace with their stench, I think I have the right to complain.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
I never thought they should tax smokers like they have, but not smoking on the job or in public was the right thing.
Too many people get sick from all the smoke and if you just pass one of these smokers and your clothes stink.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,185,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah it sure is "nice" to control other people and what they do on their own property ain't it.
Sorry that went over your head. The implication was I agreed with you but at the same time recognized that it is nice to not have to deal with the effect of smoke when going out to certain places.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Sorry that went over your head. The implication was I agreed with you but at the same time recognized that it is nice to not have to deal with the effect of smoke when going out to certain places.
Yeah, I wrote that before you edited it, my bad.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM

313 posts, read 284,297 times
It's a bit ridiculous. I remember smoking when I was younger and some fat obese slob of a cashier having the gaul to tell me the dangers of smoking. The hypocrisy of some people is amazing.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,577,583 times
What is irritating to me in some work environments is the that smokers seem to think that they should have a cigarette break for 10-15 minutes an hour, every hour while their coworkers are picking up their slack.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What is irritating to me in some work environments is the that smokers seem to think that they should have a cigarette break for 10-15 minutes an hour, every hour while their coworkers are picking up their slack.
That is actually very annoying. I hear it all the time. The smoke shack is a 10 minute walk by the time I get there I have to come right back.
1. Its a 3 minute walk I timed it. Mostly because I knew it was BS.
2. Everyone else gets 20 minute breaks. Why should smokers get more?
3. Not my problem they have that habit.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Let them smoke all thet want, just get rid of the odor. How about we get cigarette companies to create odorless cigars/cigarettes. Their health is their problem. There are enough other things that affect our health that we do nothing about.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Who the hell does that? Not to mention, that's a LOT of smoking!! I'm a smoker myself, and only take maybe 5 minutes every 2-3 hours - and I am entitled to those minutes, since we're required (union job) to have two paid 15-minute breaks + an unpaid hour lunch in a 9-hour shift. Rather than gossiping or eating in the staff room for 30 minutes (aside from lunch), like my co-workers do, I take a few very short outside breaks instead. In fact, I'd bet my TOTAL break times are lower than most of theirs. Sorry if your co-workers are major slackers, but please don't use that against all smokers.

P.S. Luckily I work in a small building/library, where I can literally jump outside in a flash... for those who work in high-rises or the like, they need to figure out a better solution. Maybe gum or electronic cigarettes, like Sal from Howard Stern does during work hours? When smoking was banned in their building, he started puffing on those instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.