Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
When my sister was diagnosed with COPD (Chronic bronchitis) and she never smoked a day in her life because of second-hand smoke, and the third time I spent all night in the ER because the doctors couldn't get her O2 sats up, I quit feeling sorry for the poor smokers who had to go outside to kill themselves.

Sorry, no sympathy here. You folks want to inhale that ****, fine, don't ask me to breathe in your fumes.
COPD didn't exist in the 50s and 60s when smoking was at its heyday.

It appears to be a social-psychosomatic disease. Political Correctness Biologically Manifested.

Ahh . . . the power of belief!

I hope I don't contract a psychopolitically infestive disease

Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
COPD didn't exist in the 50s and 60s when smoking was at its heyday.

It appears to be a social-psychosomatic disease. Political Correctness Biologically Manifested.

Ahh . . . the power of belief!

I hope I don't contract a psychopolitically infestive disease
It sure as heck was around in the late 60s, when I was in nursing school!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
"To where they should be" according to...... who? You? Do you own a business? If so, you can make whatever policy you like concerning smoking. You don't have a Right to determine how someone else should run their business and if you don't like it, you should stay out of their business.

Than don't go to them. Pretty simple. Stay out of businesses that allow it. Why do you think you're such a special person that businesses should bow down and cater to what you think?

It always amazes me how full of themselves anti-smoking zealots are.

And a business should have every Right to set up a business model that caters to that minority if they wish. It's none of your concern. The world doesn't revolve around you...

There's obviously a market for businesses that allow their patrons to smoke, otherwise, they'd ban smoking themselves and there'd be no need for government to do it for them....

Aren't militant, anti-smoking zealots always complaining about the healthcare costs that smokers incur? Don't fat people incur these same costs? I'd wager the costs are far greater, considering that only a minority of people smoke, but America is the fattest country on Earth.

No one cares what you think of the personal choices they make. Why can't people like you understand that?

Few people smoke than don't...the world doesn't revolve around smokers and their habit that infringes on other peoples space.

When the smoking ban went into effect in NYC, every yellow fingered smelly smoker made the claim that bars and restaurants would go out of business because of it.

Guess what happened? Business got better in NYC, and smokers learned to adapt. No business owners were hurt, the only people affected were smokers. Business owners forgot about smokers as soon as they realized the smoking ban had no negative effects. Poor smokers. It seems like its their little habits that no one cares to patronize anymore.

As an anti-smoking zealot, I don't care if you want to smoke crack in your home..that's your choice...the days of smoking in closed places around people who don't want to breathe smoke are over for good. Good riddance, and get over it.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It sure as heck was around in the late 60s, when I was in nursing school!
Something happened in the late 60s.

"The landmark study by Hogg et all 1968 ushered in the era of small airways disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2706597/

Reagan quit smoking and died of Alzheimer's.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 07-02-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're trying to create doubt.

"only that smoking increases the risk"

Actually, there is little doubt that smoking CAUSES lung cancer.

Lung cancer Causes - Mayo Clinic
There are many factors that can cause lung cancer. Smoking is just one of many. There are people that have smoked their whole lives and never got cancer, and there are people who've never smoked a day in their lives, never lived with a smoker, never worked in a smoke filled environment, never spent any significant amount of time around cigarette smoke, and developed cancer anyway. Anyone who believes that just because they go to great lengths to avoid smoke means they'll be safe from developing lung cancer is just delusional.
Quote:
Typical pro-smoking moving the goalposts talk
In other words, you can't counter my logic..... I understand.

PS, I'm not pro-smoking. I quit for a reason. I wouldn't encourage anyone to ever start. But I'm never going to buy in to this paranoid hysteria that the public has been conditioned in to that would likely qualify as a mild case of neurosis.

Anti-smokers, ( not non-smokers ) are some of the ugliest people I have ever seen. They have some of the worst attitudes and are some of the most self-righteous, arrogant, narcissistic individuals you'll ever have the displeasure of interacting with. Just look at any online forum discussing the topic, and I have participated in many.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-03-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
When my sister was diagnosed with COPD (Chronic bronchitis) and she never smoked a day in her life because of second-hand smoke, and the third time I spent all night in the ER because the doctors couldn't get her O2 sats up, I quit feeling sorry for the poor smokers who had to go outside to kill themselves.

Sorry, no sympathy here. You folks want to inhale that ****, fine, don't ask me to breathe in your fumes.
Just curious...... How do you know your sisters condition was a result of exposure to Second Hand Smoke? Did she ever live long term with someone who smoked?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Few people smoke than don't...the world doesn't revolve
around smokers and their habit that infringes on other peoples space.
You're making the mistake of being so arrogant as to think that it's "your space"..... Are people smoking in your home? On your property? Than they aren't smoking in "your space"...... If you walk in to a private business that allows smoking, it isn't "your space", it's the owners space, on his private property. and you are only there because the owner allows you to occupy HIS space.
Quote:
When the smoking ban went into effect in NYC, every yellow fingered smelly
smoker made the claim that bars and restaurants would go out of business because
of it.

Guess what happened? Business got better in NYC, and smokers learned to
adapt. No business owners were hurt, the only people affected were smokers.
Business owners forgot about smokers as soon as they realized the smoking ban
had no negative effects.
Plenty of businesses are hurt by smoking bans. Sure, a business in a big place like NYC probably won't be hurt, but the small town bar across the railroad tracks might suffer greatly.
Quote:
As an anti-smoking zealot, I don't care if you want to smoke crack in your
home..that's your choice...the days of smoking in closed places around people
who don't want to breathe smoke are over for good. Good riddance, and get over
it.
If you don't want to breath in smoke, wouldn't it make sense to just stay out of places that allow it? I mean, if I want to go to a bar, but I don't want to hear loud music, ( which can damage hearing ) do I have the Right to weaponize government and demand that they remove all juke boxes from their property, just because "I" may decide to go there? O should I just find a place that is more suitable to the kind of atmosphere that I am looking for?

Like I said earlier, anti smokers are some of the most self-righteous, arrogant, narcissistic people I have ever met, that think the world revolves around them. You people seem to think that you have the Right to dictate to other people what they do on their own property.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-03-2015 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 05:49 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Oh.... the brainwashed masses.... You'll cross the street to avoid a brief whiff of smoke because you believe that it's "deadly" to you, but pay no mind to the exhaust of the car passing you while you do so, that contains sulfuric acid, nitrogen dioxide, and other cancer causing chemicals? Wow.

In fact, you crossing the road to avoid the "deadly" smoke is likely putting you in far greater danger than if you had just walked through it, as I would wager that your odds of being run down by a passing vehicle driven by a teenager who can't put her phone down are much greater than the odds of developing any adverse health affects from less than a seconds worth of exposure to smoke.

But then who would pay for programs like the expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program to take care of your snot nosed brats when they get sick?

Federal Tobacco Tax Hike Could Pay for SCHIP - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
Yep, I'm going to sniff the exhaust of passing cars -- you hit the nail on the head there. This analogy is one of the more moronic I have ever heard. Go ahead and walk through the smoke and enjoy all of its glorious poison if you so desire, that's up to you, but for me and most sane people no thanks.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:53 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Something happened in the late 60s.

"The landmark study by Hogg et all 1968 ushered in the era of small airways disease."

The history of COPD

Reagan quit smoking and died of Alzheimer's.
WTH does that even mean?

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Just curious...... How do you know your sisters condition was a result of exposure to Second Hand Smoke? Did she ever live long term with someone who smoked?
Our parents smoked constantly in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies