Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times

Advertisements

Potheads are 2~3 times more likely to commit murder/manslaughter due to traffic accidents:

A 2012 meta-analysis found that cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of being involved in a motor vehicle crash.[93] A 2016 review also found a statistically significant increase in crash risk associated with marijuana use, ... The increase in risk of motor vehicle crash for cannabis use is between 2 and 3 times relative to baseline, whereas that for comparable doses of alcohol is between 6 and 15 times

Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't believe I have ever met a "pothead" who was "stressed to find pot." I think you're imagining things to support the argument you want to believe.
Then why is a cigarette smoker stressed? I just followed that poster's logic.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:35 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Potheads are 2~3 times more likely to commit murder/manslaughter due to traffic accidents:

A 2012 meta-analysis found that cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of being involved in a motor vehicle crash.[93] A 2016 review also found a statistically significant increase in crash risk associated with marijuana use, ... The increase in risk of motor vehicle crash for cannabis use is between 2 and 3 times relative to baseline, whereas that for comparable doses of alcohol is between 6 and 15 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You think a smoker who "needs a cigarette" is not stressed??
Many years ago I worked with a guy who would stop talking mid-conversation because he needed to go outside and smoke.

I also had a professor in college who routinely ended class 10 minutes early to go outside for a smoke.

I've never known a pot user who did either of these things.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:38 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Then why is a cigarette smoker stressed? I just followed that poster's logic.
Google "Nicotine withdrawal symptoms"...

You're welcome.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I am a non-smoker. I can't stand the smell of cigarette, I don't use marijuana or any other "drugs".

I have a lot of friends who smoke, they also dip/chew their favorite form of tobacco. (most of them are guys from the military) I feel this is their personal choice has nothing to do with me.

Do I think they are treated wrongly? yes, by some folks. You people are not some delicate little flowers, being around people who smoke or dip will not harm you. (and in all fairness, I am not talking about second hand smoke here) If you don't like the smell, don't sit or stand next to them. Problem solved. The choice is YOURS.

All these being said, my smoker friends tend to be very considerate of others. They try not to smoke around non-smokers. So I have no problems with them. Many of my friends "dip", like Mayo clinic says, You can call chewing tobacco by whatever name you want — smokeless tobacco, spit tobacco, chew, snuff, pinch or dip — but don't call it harmless. I feel as long as they know the risks, I shouldn't be acting so judgmental.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-06-2016 at 01:27 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
At least they have a way to reduce stress. Many others just go crazy or develop other symptoms.

Potheads are always stressed to find pot. They are also afraid of getting fired because almost all companies disallow it during work hours.
You are obviously not an American. You believe too many of the lies you read.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I agree smoking is very unhealthy. But non smokers need to remember, smoking is not simply a bad habit—it’s an addiction.

Yes smokers are being discriminated against and demonized (proof is in this forum). It's not necessary for others to be so boldly demeaning to smokers.

I've been addicted for 50 years and don't expect nonsmokers would even have a clue as to what that means. I warn everyone not to even try smoking. You will get addicted. I also warn folks not to drink to excess early in life at frat parties and grads. This is how the brain becomes wired to unhealthy coping skills turning into addictions.

There is a lot of nonsense out there about the effects of "second hand smoke". There are studies that have no basis for their claims. But you need common sense to be able to recognize it.

This all started with a female bar server getting cancer she says from working in a smoky bar and she sued and won. After that all hell broke loose on smoking.

the government says they are hoping to stop youngsters from starting and getting addicted but heck high prices cigarettes does very little to discourage kids that have big allowances, access to credit, and usually young people will pool their money to buy a pack to share.

Our provincial government has raised the cost of cigarettes depending on the brand to $15 a 25 pack. I can buy a carton (8 packs of 25) on line from England for $36 usd but Canadian customs excise tax adds another $50 -60 and still going up. Right now I pay $93/8 packs a weeks worth.

Here it is illegal to smoke near a building entrance, one has to be 15 feet away from the opening. It is illegal to smoke anywhere that food is sold or indoor public places or on government and hospital property.

What's a smoker to do? The government wants to ban vaporizers. Health plans do not cover smoking cessation products. My attempts to quit have been fruitless so far.
Funny you should say that. In the US, most insurance, including Medicare B for seniors, covers stop-smoking products and programs.
https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/sm...cessation.html
The Affordable Care Act requires all policies sold after Sept. 23, 2010 cover smoking cessation therapy (including smoking cessation drugs) at no out-of-pocket cost.
ObamaCare and Smokers

Old 06-06-2016, 10:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's not a habit. Nicotine is truly an addiction and a hard one to quit.
Yes, it's an addiction, and yes, it's hard to quit. I know from experience. However, these lame justifications of smoking are just that, lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There has never been a death attributed to pot. Many smokers die from cigarettes.
Ha! This one hasn't been adjudicated yet, but. . .
Teen driver charged with vehicular homicide, DUI in fatal Boulder crash - Boulder Daily Camera
The driver was charged with being under the influence of pot.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it's an addiction, and yes, it's hard to quit. I know from experience. However, these lame justifications of smoking are just that, lame.

Ha! This one hasn't been adjudicated yet, but. . .
Teen driver charged with vehicular homicide, DUI in fatal Boulder crash - Boulder Daily Camera
The driver was charged with being under the influence of pot.
You know I meant with pot actually killing someone. Could just as easily have been a drunk driver. Cigarettes directly kill and so does alcohol. You can't legislate idiots.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
Actually they are treated too well. I want stronger restrictions. The second hand smoke is the problem it affects not just them but those around them. I really think smoking should be banned outright .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies