Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:52 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,220,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I know many of you righties Hate me, some of you guys tell me as much daily, GOOD, that means what I do here is the right thing.
Wear it....like a badge of honor.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM

23,592 posts, read 23,892,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
While I'm not a fan of book burning, I definitely make an exception in this case.
"Free speech for me, but not for thee."

Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,501,577 times
Having been there, I'll tell you exactly what goes through a soldier'/marine's head when he gets a package:

Can I eat it?
Can I drink it?
Can I wipe my a$$ with it? (unscented baby-wipes are worth their weight in gold in the field)
Can I smoke it?
Can it keep me warm?
Can I laugh at it and share it with my buds?
Can I trade it with the locals for something useful?
Does it remind me of home?

NO? burn it.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,973,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The person who sent the books is a total teabagger political hack who has no concern for the well being of our troops whatsoever besides advancing their own narrow political agenda.
How do you know for sure it was a Tea Partier? Did the sender identify himself as one?

I'm willing to be it was probably a hysterical libnut like yourself who sent the books so that you could advance your own narrow political agenda.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,223,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ahhh, as usual you have NOTHING to add to the conversation except another personal attack, so very typical of righties when they have Nothing.
I know many of you righties Hate me, some of you guys tell me as much daily, GOOD, that means what I do here is the right thing.
No such luck there Casper. Sometimes I don't like what you say but you seem pretty cool to me.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,914,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
How do you know for sure it was a Tea Partier? Did the sender identify himself as one?

I'm willing to be it was probably a hysterical libnut like yourself who sent the books so that you could advance your own narrow political agenda.

Your assuming the liberal already knew that the troops would burn the stupid book. I guess that is a safe assumption.

More than likely it was O'Reilly himself. O'Reilly has previously promoted his books by promising to send a free copy to troops in Iraq with every $26 purchase. And he's a supporter of Operation Shoebox, a charity that arranged care packages for troops.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,873,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No such luck there Casper. Sometimes I don't like what you say but you seem pretty cool to me.
Thanks.
I simply try to give what I recieve, people that are truely interested in discussion and sharing OPINIONS and FACTS are ok in my book no matter their politcal leanings, heck on some issues I am conservative in my opinions and on others I am liberal, just like the majority of poster here. Those that cannot keep it civil get ignored or treated in the manner they treat myself and others here.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,110,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
The people who are comparing this to Nazi book burning or anything similar clearly have no idea about what they speak of.

Let me point out a few universal truths about Nazi, Communist, etc book burnings

-The decision to burn the books was made by people with vast power and done in the interest to control the information available to the public
-The books were burned to prevent people from accessing the ideas and information they contained.
-The books being burned did not belong to the people who decided they must be burnt
-failure to comply could result in being imprisoned or death

In short, these book burnings were a forceful way to eliminate alternative ideologies and viewpoints, to further control the people and consolidate their already inordinate amount of power.

Now let's look at the key differences in this burning.

-The decision to burn the books was simply a matter of practicality as the soliders did not want them, storage was limited, and other means of disposal are not available to them being that are on a remote military outpost
-they did not prevent other people in accessing these books, only themselves
-The people who burned the books, OWNED them.
-there was no issue of compliance it was done voluntarily, and apparently with at least of certain level of enjoyment

In short these people burned books which were their own personal property because they did not want them.

If i have a bunch of college textbooks that i no longer use so i decide to burn them, i'm not doing anything morally wrong. I'm not preventing people from accessing information, i'm not ordering anyone else to destroy books, I'm simply disposing of my own personal property.

The means in which I disposed of them would of course be absurd, why burn them when i could easily recycle them or give them away? But the fact remains that the only problems with me burning my own books, are logical ones, not moral ones. My burning of my own books in NO WAY equates to nazi book burnings.

The book burning these soldiers took part in is no different then my hypothetical book burning... with one key difference. The options of giving these books away or recycling them is not available to them like they are to me. Why? Well because they are on a remote military outpost, RISKING THEIR LIVES!!!

So not only is this method of disposal logical, but it's perfectly morally acceptable as well, they have done nothing to harm anyone, they have burned their own personal property because they do not want it.

If you can't tell the difference between what happened here and what happened when nazi's ordered the burning of books then you are a total fool.

The Nazi reference was to the OP who said he was Ok with people burning O'reilly's book, not to the soldiers who were orderd to do it. Instead of wasting your time smoking dope and protesing wall street, please go back to to school and learn reading comprehension(understanding what you read).

Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,624,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am surprised this is actually news. I mean what else would a person do with an O'Reilly book.
Toilet Paper?

Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,624,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Wear it....like a badge of honor.
Sort of like the TPs than whine and moan if one of the TVs at the Gym isn't on FOX"""News""", I guess they can't go a half hour without being told what to think. As soon as they are gone the troops change the channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies