Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Just curious. Have you ever been in a combat zone? Have you ever received care packages from people back home? Well, I have. Three times to the Middle East. And i'm here to tell you that care packages of all shapes, sizes, and content are very welcome by the deployed. There's no such thing as a "bad care package" because everyone knows it's coming from a well-intentioned individual or entity.

I'm also here to tell you that the guys burning these books are total douchebags and do not represent the best or the brightest of our military forces.

Your two cents are worthless since you haven't been there, in my opinion.

I would have burned them as well. When I was in the military, I could care less about politics. The last thing in the world I would have wanted to carry around was a hard cover book by some political blowhard. Couple of playboy magazines. Now we are talking. I can't think of any fellow Marine who would have felt differently. As a rule, officers don't discuss politics. It is bad form, troops do but we never got involved.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Did anybody actually click on the link in the OP. From perusing this thread it appears one did. If you would have you would have seen this..........

"The motivation behind the order to burn them was not political...as mentioned in the original post, we are in an extraordinarily remote location. We don't have a post office here, so sending them back wasn't an option. Extra space is scarce and alternatives that a few mentioned, like recycling, are nonexistent...I'm aware of the historical implications of book-burning. I won't say I didn't take pleasure in removing a few copies of this bigoted twerp's writings from circulation, but the reason for doing so was military necessity."

Yet another great fail by the haters.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did anybody actually click on the link in the OP. From perusing this thread it appears one did. If you would have you would have seen this..........

"The motivation behind the order to burn them was not political...as mentioned in the original post, we are in an extraordinarily remote location. We don't have a post office here, so sending them back wasn't an option. Extra space is scarce and alternatives that a few mentioned, like recycling, are nonexistent...I'm aware of the historical implications of book-burning. I won't say I didn't take pleasure in removing a few copies of this bigoted twerp's writings from circulation, but the reason for doing so was military necessity."

From your quote in bold.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I would have burned them as well. When I was in the military, I could care less about politics. The last thing in the world I would have wanted to carry around was a hard cover book by some political blowhard. Couple of playboy magazines. Now we are talking. I can't think of any fellow Marine who would have felt differently. As a rule, officers don't discuss politics. It is bad form, troops do but we never got involved.
Here's the thing about care packages. Unless it was specifically sent to you by a friend or family member, you don't necessarily know where that package came from. So all this business about "some teabagger sent these soldiers O'Reilly books" that no one wants to read shows a total lack of understanding of how the care package receipt and distribution process works. If this guy was sent these books by his friends or family, then he should tell them he's not interested in that type of reading. But the bulk of care packages usually come from well-intentioned individuals and/or entities who have no idea where the package will actually end up.

Most units are so slam packed with care packages that there's usually an overabundance of food, candy, toiletries, books, puzzles, etc. that anyone and everyone is welcome to dig through and take what they want, including O'Reilly books if they so choose.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This whole argument is silly. This is an outpost in a remote region in Afghanistan. It's not a political statement, it's a logistics issue. They simply can't support having extra material, such as these books, on site. Because one guy took pictures and tried to infer some political statement does not make it so. After looking at the article, even the guy who posted the pictures said it wasn't a political statement. The reality is that any package such as this, regardless of the author, would have met the same end.

Finally, a person who actually read the linked article! From my reading I deduced that even if the books had been all Rachel Ray cookbooks, they would have met the same fate.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Great find. I browsed the page, but didn't dig deep. The idea of burning books, and the partisan spin was enough for me to dig in. Glad you clarified!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Finally, a person who actually read the linked article! From my reading I deduced that even if the books had been all Rachel Ray cookbooks, they would have met the same fate.
Lots and lots of things get wasted. Partly due to remote outposts, partly due to an overabundance of care packages. I've seen units so well-stocked with food from care packages that would rival any homeless food shelter in America, hands down.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

529 posts, read 363,119 times
Not exactly dealing with someone with a full deck here ya know NewYorkGuy is voting for the idiot we have as president right now again in 2012 you lose any and all credibility that and your insistence at calling tea party people teabaggers just shows us your fascination with homosexual tendencies. You can come out of the closet now we don't shoot on sight.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Here's the thing about care packages. Unless it was specifically sent to you by a friend or family member, you don't necessarily know where that package came from. So all this business about "some teabagger sent these soldiers O'Reilly books" that no one wants to read shows a total lack of understanding of how the care package receipt and distribution process works. If this guy was sent these books by his friends or family, then he should tell them he's not interested in that type of reading. But the bulk of care packages usually come from well-intentioned individuals and/or entities who have no idea where the package will actually end up.

Most units are so slam packed with care packages that there's usually a overabundance of food, candy, toiletries, books, puzzles, etc. that anyone and everyone is welcome to dig through and take what they want. For these guys to be burning books is just stupid.

As I said before, they DO NOT represent the best or the brightest. This is just plain ignorance.
If you read the whole cite, you would have seen that this was ordered by the commander. Military necessity. You should know you don't carry all kinds of worthless stuff around. The books have no real value. IMO. I would have ordered them to be burned as well. I would have given the troops the ability to take any of them they wanted and those that remained would have been burned, as I bet happened here, since that is pretty much SOP. In fairness, the only book that I would not have had burned would be any religious books.

IMO, you are letting your emotions get the best of you. All this says about the troops is that they follow orders. My kind of troops. I would expect no less. Maybe you did not like to follow orders. Had a few like that. I knew what to do with them.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you read the whole cite, you would have seen that this was ordered by the commander. Military necessity. You should know you don't carry all kinds of worthless stuff around. The books have no real value. IMO. I would have ordered them to be burned as well. I would have given the troops the ability to take any of them they wanted and those that remained would have been burned, as I bet happened here, since that is pretty much SOP. In fairness, the only book that I would not have had burned would be any religious books.
Yes, I see that, and have referred to it above. But don't try to act like you knew it, either. Your post above shows that you didn't, because you said you would have burnt them as well.....and you certainly weren't discussing "military necessity" when you said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.