Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times

Advertisements

The people here who support that clown Carter...they must either have a short memory or they weren't adults during that time. Because the economy was stagnant...unemployment was soaring...Castro sent all undesirables on boats to the US and Carter welcomed them.

Any of this sound familiar yet?? Kind of like what is going on NOW??

Carter got defeated...the world was a better place. Reagan was a leader...not a peanut saleman. We need leaders....not community organizers like we have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
In all honesty, I don't blame Carter for the hostage crisis. Maybe he is to blame? I don't know what the Iranians motivation was to take all those hostages. Its so long ago, if I did know, I forgot. The inflation during his administration just got worse and worse. He actually made a smart move by nominating Paul Volker to head up the Federal Reserve, and that's when the high interest rates hit, to put the breaks on inflation. The problem was, the economy ground to a hault, and it happened right about the time the election came up. That continued on during Reagans term, although the interest rates finally came down to a reasonable level. Not an 18% prime rate. Reagan's genius was the tax cuts to get the economy jump started again, firing the air traffic controlers. (Strikes of all kinds had really hampered the economy for many years), deregulating the price of oil and gas, which led to a drilling and exploration boom. Basically, Reagan just took many of the impediments off the table that had been inhibiting the economy and it worked. If we get a new President next year, and the new President follows the same general idea, the economy will recover, but it will take till 2016 to really show positive effects. Things are pretty bad right now and Obama is as clueless as Carter was as to how to get the economy going again.

I'd appreciate a little respect. I lived through those days. I was in business at the time. I lived in an area that had 20% unemployment. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
In all honesty, I don't blame Carter for the hostage crisis. Maybe he is to blame? I don't know what the Iranians motivation was to take all those hostages. Its so long ago, if I did know, I forgot. The inflation during his administration just got worse and worse. He actually made a smart move by nominating Paul Volker to head up the Federal Reserve, and that's when the high interest rates hit, to put the breaks on inflation. The problem was, the economy ground to a hault, and it happened right about the time the election came up. That continued on during Reagans term, although the interest rates finally came down to a reasonable level. Not an 18% prime rate. Reagan's genius was the tax cuts to get the economy jump started again, firing the air traffic controlers. (Strikes of all kinds had really hampered the economy for many years), deregulating the price of oil and gas, which led to a drilling and exploration boom. Basically, Reagan just took many of the impediments off the table that had been inhibiting the economy and it worked. If we get a new President next year, and the new President follows the same general idea, the economy will recover, but it will take till 2016 to really show positive effects. Things are pretty bad right now and Obama is as clueless as Carter was as to how to get the economy going again.

I'd appreciate a little respect. I lived through those days. I was in business at the time. I lived in an area that had 20% unemployment. I think I know what I'm talking about.
Oil and gas price controls were abolished under the Carter Administration, not the Reagan Administration. Just to clear that up.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
The people here who support that clown Carter...they must either have a short memory or they weren't adults during that time. Because the economy was stagnant...unemployment was soaring...Castro sent all undesirables on boats to the US and Carter welcomed them.

Any of this sound familiar yet?? Kind of like what is going on NOW??

Carter got defeated...the world was a better place. Reagan was a leader...not a peanut saleman. We need leaders....not community organizers like we have now.
Reagan was an Actor that pretended to know what was going on. I guess that you forgot he was the one that contributed to the spread of the coke epidemic and let the AIDS spread unnoticed?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Signing the Airline Deregulation Act in 1978 was an extremely intelligent accomplishment of his.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Reagan was an Actor that pretended to know what was going on. I guess that you forgot he was the one that contributed to the spread of the coke epidemic and let the AIDS spread unnoticed?

And, a bad one at that.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Absolutely. Why do you think he only served one term?

Carter was so bad with foreign policy that it used to be a joke that whenever a new foreign restaurant opened in town, it was because another nation succumbed to communism under Carter. More countries fell to communism while Carter was President, than any other President before or since. But the most egregious foreign policy debacle was his inability to deal with the Iranian hostage crisis for 444 days.

Combined with a Democrat controlled Congress that was spending the nation into oblivion, just like they were from 2007 to 2010, run-away inflation, gas lines around the block, soaring interest rates, and over 10% unemployment with no end in sight, and you can begin to understand why Reagan was elected President in 1980.

When Carter pardoned all the military deserters and began lowering military recruiting standards to include more women, he utterly destroyed the morale of the military.

Without a doubt, Carter was the worst President in the last century.
I doubt anyone is going to read my post but I'll add my response to your post anyways.

You do realize that are infatuation with and paranoia of the spread of Communism is the reason for so many of our problems today! I'll give you an example, Operation Ajax 1953, we overthrew a Democratically elected leader of Iran, Mohammad Mossadegh, just because he nationalized the oil in his country (which rightfully belonged to Iran).

The British told Eisenhower that Iran was going to succumb to Communism (when in fact this was nothing but a ploy) and as a result we overthrew the government and got nothing out of it except Iranian anger against the West.

Why? Mossadegh was replaced none other than the Shah Reza Palahvi who, along with his secret police the SEVAK, tortured and brutalized the population for decades.

BTW, the SEVAK was taught the same torture techniques used by the Nazi's against Holocaust victims courtesy of the CIA. Yeah, proud of that!

This is why when the students overthrew the embassy and the Shah, they went to the extremes because of Eisenhower's stupidity.

Hostages were taken and President Carter did attempt to rescue them but unfortunately it failed. How the effing hell is that Carter's fault? Did he pilot the heli that crashed in the desert or what?

The oil embargo was done because the Arab nations were pissed at Israel. Now had we not so openly and valiantly supported a country that has continued to hurt the US rather than help, the problem could have been avoided.

What was Carter supposed to do? Invade every oil producing nation to make sure the oil was kept pumping to the US (like we did with Iraq)?

We already consume the world's oil, what more do you effing want?????? You don't think other countries want that oil as much as we do?

Spending the nation into oblivion? So has every President except Andrew Jackson!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post

Carter clueless? Carter took the impediments off the table. Who do you think deregulated the railroad, trucking, airline, and telephone industries? It wasn't Saint Ron. Reagan did speed some of those up.

Reagan raised taxes and piled on the bullsh*t by calling the SS tax raise not a raise on taxes but an insurance policy. wtf????? When you increase the size of government like Reagan did, someone has to pay for it.

The economy didn't jump start after the 1981 tax cuts it took a few years
Reagans Alzheimer's isn't as bad as the kind the voters have.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Carter clueless? Carter took the impediments off the table. Who do you think deregulated the railroad, trucking, airline, and telephone industries? It wasn't Saint Ron. Reagan did speed some of those up.

Reagan raised taxes and piled on the bullsh*t by calling the SS tax raise not a raise on taxes but an insurance policy. wtf????? When you increase the size of government like Reagan did, someone has to pay for it.

The economy didn't jump start after the 1981 tax cuts it took a few years
Reagans Alzheimer's isn't as bad as the kind the voters have.
Thank You, another good, solid post. I guess people who are so in love with being labeled conservative care less about facts and just want to lay the blame on any liberal President and vice versa for liberals.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
I was in the Army during President Carter's term (that makes me one of those who got in under his lowered standards, I guess.)

I remember one month when we came extremely close to not being paid. I remember not having spare parts to keep our vehicles running. I remember shortages of fuel. I remember the frustration many of us felt over seeing the hostages kept prisoner and nothing being done, though we would have gladly gone to free them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies