Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Excuse me??? How do you know I've never given money to others to help them?
This is twice now.
Guess I needed to use the .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Question hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
read the article,
Obama told the reporter!!
he was booking folks like you would bite
and guess what, you did!
wake up
he is using you and people like you
sad, really, very sad!
Quote:
"Some of these letters you read and you say, 'Gosh, I really want to help this person, and I may not have the tools to help them right now,'" the president told Saslow.

"And then you start thinking about the fact that for every one person that wrote describing their story, there might be another hundred thousand going through the same thing.

So there are times when I'm reading the letters and I feel pained that I can't do more, faster, to make a difference in their lives."
Using folks how?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I would just love to see the Obama haters respond to this one. I think regardless of where you are, you have to respect it when the rich and powerful are willing to help those who are neither.

Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans

Kudos to you, President Obama!
After what he has done to the nation and the economy, I think he owes them.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Let's wait until the checks clear before we get all excited.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So finally the light goes on in the whitehouse !!!!!!!!!

Obama has now realized the importance of individuals helping individuals rather than individuals giving all their money to the government to redistribute what's left after fraud, incompetence and administrative costs.

To priase Obama for what countless Americans already do is to praise a baby for going to the potty like the rest of the big boys. It is welcome, but expected.
There is a limit to how much individuals can help. That's why, despite the RW "pull 'em up by the bootstraps" mantra, there is a need for collective efforts. We need to do both.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
mackinac"Again, for some, it's not enough to disagree with a mans policies, but to also vilify his character as well. Especially vilifying his character because of an an act of charity. After all, don't most conservatives tell us to "write a check" if we care about the poor so much. Well here he is doing it, and then he's accused of buying votes. "

Amen. I dislike his job performance, but I admire these actions. I admire the fact he reads 10 letters from non Top 1% America each night. Too often, those who gain massive upward mobility become out of touch. We do NOT want a King or Queen, and this shows me he does not want to become a "de facto" one. So while it will not increase my assessment of his job performance, I view personal actions like this on their OWN merits. And I applaud them whole-heartedly.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I think the POTUS set himself up by choosing to help some and not all.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 PM

We all help some but not all. Whether we support a United Way, work at a soup kitchen, work at tutoring kids, etc, with 309 million Americans, one cannnot help them all. Only the selfish use it as an excuse to not help as many as they can. They are the ones least apt to admire anyone helping, because they see their selfishness staring back at them.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM

mackinac"
It's just amazing that some people (Not all, as shown in this thread) are so partisan that they can't even do this because it would mess with their "i hate Obama" paradigm."

Sadly true, and it has gradually occured the last few decades. Some of the Bush/Hitler signs were outrageous, many Gore supporters never accepted a finalization of 2000, and via the TP, its now a sad 2 party state of affairs, as GOP never accepted Nov, 2008.. a bi-partisan world where Americans DEMONIZE the other side, instead of listening to them, on the theory that BOTH sides want good results for the nation. Both simply see the USA different ways. Similar to the way I don't want parrots working for me; I want OTHER points of view I might learn from. We have large enough problems no one person or even party could solve them. We need 100% support.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
mackinac"Again, for some, it's not enough to disagree with a mans policies, but to also vilify his character as well. Especially vilifying his character because of an an act of charity. After all, don't most conservatives tell us to "write a check" if we care about the poor so much. Well here he is doing it, and then he's accused of buying votes. "

Amen. I dislike his job performance, but I admire these actions. I admire the fact he reads 10 letters from non Top 1% America each night. Too often, those who gain massive upward mobility become out of touch. We do NOT want a King or Queen, and this shows me he does not want to become a "de facto" one. So while it will not increase my assessment of his job performance, I view personal actions like this on their OWN merits. And I applaud them whole-heartedly.
please.

the HYPOCRISY of devaluing EVERYONE'S money and then writing a couple of checks for some good publicity is mind-boggling. obama gave less than 1% of his money to charity before he started reporting it. who devalued their money in the first place?????
remember this from the huffington post:

Obama Tax Returns: Low On Story Lines And Charity Donations

other mind-boggling hypocrisy, while pretending to care about american citizens:
spending/borrowing money fighting countless wars around the world- with no discernable purpose that benefits the united states, bankrupting american citizens in the process. we are (at best) fighting over european access to oil.

not even pretending to clawback the wall street bonuses, reform wall street, punish the bad guys, monitor the BP fund, deport his aunt/uncle, or any of the other countless promises that he has broken to the american people.

encouraging illegal immigration, pathway to citizenship, DREAM act , and foreign debt forgiveness, while american children struggle with school and/or school loans.

pretending to care about your fellow americans and then sending guns to drug dealers in mexico, and then trying to cover it up or deny that you know about it.

not doing a darn thing about our unemployment situation- while actually encouraging states to pile on welfare cases- which is the only possible way out of this disaster.

how much do you think all these things cost us??????

give me a break.

i have a better idea. he can quit writing a couple of checks and patting himself on the back--- and actually work on the economy, ending all the wars, controlling immigration, rewarding the private sector for job creation, cutting government waste, and stopping both government and private sector fraud.

i am not going to hold my breath, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies