Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times

Advertisements

Romney could win if the conservative vote is fragmented. If conservatives get their act together, Perry will win the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,299 times
I can't trust him, seems like a phony bought and paid for Big Government plastic robotic Neo Con...

I can't trust him to balance the budget, much less stop deficit spending...

I can't see him doing anything to get rid of the nanny/police state we have been in since before 9-11...

I could care less about his religion...

Ron Paul is the one out there that makes a lick of sense on stopping this Government gone wild and I can trust him to stop the 0bamalaise...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
I think conservatives don't think Romney is nearly conservative enough. Quite frankly if I were a fairly right leaning conservative, I would completely agree.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Romney's major challenge isn't his communication strategy. Instead, it's the same thing that plagued the former Massachusetts governor in the 2008 election: Many Republican voters don't like him, trust him or relate to him. It's not, as some political observers suggest, that they don't think Romney is sufficiently conservative. Rather, it's that they don't think he's sufficiently anything. What does it matter if they agree with what he espouses about issue X or topic Y if they don't believe a word he says?"

While media elites and politicians mock Cain's 9-9-9 tax reform plan, everyday voters give him credit for at least having a plan -- and extra credit for the fact that it is easy to understand.

Why Republicans don't trust Romney - CNN.com

Is that also your assessment of Romney's relationship with Republican voters? Why he can't seem to run away with the lead despite 1) the money he's raised, 2) his second crack at the job, 3) his experience, 4) his looks/appearance, 5) the Republican Machine backing him now that all of their other choices have told the Republican Machine "no"?
I think Romney's major challenge vs the other other Republicans is that he has no core. It is not often that I agree with Sarah Palin, but I 100% agree with her assessment of Romney. He will stick his finger in the wind and say whatever people want him to say, do whatever he needs to do regardless of whether he thinks it is wrong or right.

Every other Republican has a core. Whether it is Paul on monetary policy, Santorum on social issues, Cain on taxation, even Perry on states rights and immigration.

Romney has no such core. He will be one person to win the Massachusetts governorship and another to win the Republican nomination.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM

407 posts, read 388,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Romney's major challenge isn't his communication strategy. Instead, it's the same thing that plagued the former Massachusetts governor in the 2008 election: Many Republican voters don't like him, trust him or relate to him. It's not, as some political observers suggest, that they don't think Romney is sufficiently conservative. Rather, it's that they don't think he's sufficiently anything. What does it matter if they agree with what he espouses about issue X or topic Y if they don't believe a word he says?"

While media elites and politicians mock Cain's 9-9-9 tax reform plan, everyday voters give him credit for at least having a plan -- and extra credit for the fact that it is easy to understand.

Why Republicans don't trust Romney - CNN.com

Is that also your assessment of Romney's relationship with Republican voters? Why he can't seem to run away with the lead despite 1) the money he's raised, 2) his second crack at the job, 3) his experience, 4) his looks/appearance, 5) the Republican Machine backing him now that all of their other choices have told the Republican Machine "no"?
I'll pass on the CNN story. Try Fox News:

CNN Las Vegas Debate - Frank Luntz Panel - YouTube

Perry's biggest problem: Voters don't like him - Right Turn - The Washington Post

Old 10-21-2011, 07:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
There are many reasons, the big ones are

1) Romneycare, it's somewhat similar the Obama health care plan and the right hates the idea of everyone having quality insurance

2) He's a mormon, this is a huge no-no with the GOP and especially with the southern bible belt evangelicals

3) He's somewhat sane. The GOP are desperately trying to find that hard right, Obama bashing candidate. This is why we've been seeing the spikes then tanking with Trump, then Bachmann, Perry now Cain. The love all their bashing rhetoric, however in the end it ends up making them look nuts and turns away sane republicans and independents.

In the end i'm sure they will vote for Romney anyhow simply as he has that (R) next to his name.
This will be the last time, I hope, that I have to say that I will not vote for Romney if he gets nominated. However there is no law that says I have to vote for that office, and I finally got my wife to understand that you don't have to vote for Obama just because you don't like the Republican. I have never liked Romney or his father and still don't. I am glad that Laura C showed me why I don't like him, though.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Romney could win if the conservative vote is fragmented. If conservatives get their act together, Perry will win the nomination.
Perry won't get my vote. whoops, I forgot to say that we don't have a presidential primary in m state so he couldn't get it no matter what.

I am ready to go back to the good old days when National Conventions nominated the candidates as it was during all of my earlier years. Back in those days the Convention nominated the candidate and developed a platform that he had to run on.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I saw that one after the debate ??? and was really happy to see that many people supporting Gingrich. I had completely given up on him since it appeared he couldn't get enough people to support him because he is very presidential and makes much more sense than any of the others. I have been in favor of Newt for over a year but don't think enough people understand that in a debate like he wants to have with Obama he would kick Obama's butt at least as bad as Lincoln did with Douglas. If real debating skill is involved then Newt must be the man because just one debate without media involved would win for him.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 PM

407 posts, read 388,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I saw that one after the debate ??? and was really happy to see that many people supporting Gingrich. I had completely given up on him since it appeared he couldn't get enough people to support him because he is very presidential and makes much more sense than any of the others. I have been in favor of Newt for over a year but don't think enough people understand that in a debate like he wants to have with Obama he would kick Obama's butt at least as bad as Lincoln did with Douglas. If real debating skill is involved then Newt must be the man because just one debate without media involved would win for him.
Agreed. I would be very happy with Newt as President. And he certainly has what it takes to win this election.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Liberals have quite the imagination as usual. This is fairly simple. Romney did not get elected to Gov of Mass by being a conservative. Mass, is one of the top two or three liberal states in the nation, the only state to have voted for lefty loon George McGovern in 1972.

Romney supported 'green jobs,' 'assault weapons bans,' and many other half baked liberal schemes. He exudes competence and likely would not be the utter disaster that Obama has been, but is he conservative? No. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies