Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:22 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah screw all the poor white people though they deserve it.

He didn't say that... what he did say is that in addition to all the other reasons why Americans in general suffer from poverty, blacks also had to deal with institutionalized racism, which is something that poor whites do not deal with. Does that mean its easy to be poor and white? No. However, they factually do not deal with institutionalized racism. The playing field between poor whites and poor blacks is factually not equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's where you are wrong. AA does not give anyone a leg up over white people. It helps to level the playing field so the kid that grew up in the ghetto, who worked his ass off to get to college, is able to attend college.

Seriously, educate yourself on AA. It isn't a handout. FAR from it.
I missed this post.

You are somehow under the impression that because both reach the same end result that there was no preferential treatment.

That's like saying if one person walks from New York to Los Angeles, and another person flies from JFK to LAX, they made the same journey.

Because that's exactly what's happening. Those that don't benefit from AA, aka white American males, are making the journey solely on foot. Whereas some others are given a completely free ride, while others walk part of the way, and take a plane or train for a few hundred miles in the middle.

Unless you made the entire journey on foot, you didn't make the same journey as the guy who did.

....and those minority kids "working their ass off" to go to school aren't working nearly as hard as the poor white kid who gets no breaks whatsoever. For example.... UNCF

Whatever happened 50 to 200 years ago is in the past. FIFTY YEARS of affirmative action is enough. We, as in my demographic, white Americans, need to stand up and demand it ends. Things are tough all over. Nobody should be getting a leg up unless they earn it. What your great grandfather had to go through in his life does not equate to earning squat.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Attitude is part of the puzzle, sure. Denying that minorities struggle much more in their journeys to success would be laughable, if it weren't so sad.
You will not get a denial from me.

However, regardless of how your life began, you need to move forward.

There is no other choice.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
You're right. We have been treated differently lately.

I've been in my career quite a while, and haven't seen a promotion in a good long time. I guess in my line of work that is to be expected.

On the other hand, my non-white wife was promoted at work, not once but twice in 2011.

So yeah, I guess our experiences have been different.

My wife, the female minority immigrant, a "hat trick" minority, is doing better than most people in the country this year. She has never made excuses for herself by pulling the race card, the gender card, or the immigrant card.

She just did it the old fashioned way. She earned it.
I got two jobs deaf-blind but I still acknowledge it's harder to get a job deaf and blind than it is hearing-sighted. Have you considered that perhaps your wife has been and is successful, but that it is is still, as a general trend, more difficult for a person of color to get a job than a white person? A one case scenario isn't representative of the whole, otherwise deaf-blind people and Black people would be getting jobs left and right--which is obviously not the case. The unemployment rate is much higher within both groups than it is within the population at large.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
....and considering who my wife is, what really ticks me off about the affirmative action programs is it takes away from those who actually work hard and compete fairly for what they have.

It also gives those who are competent, and get by on their own abilities, a lesser reputation than they deserve.
I agree. Which is why affirmative action is a sloppy approach. But that doesn't mean we can just deny racism exists altogether. Just because the "solution" sucks doesn't mean there's no problem to begin with. Instead, we need to come up with a better solution.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If anything their is raging prejudices with Al Sharpton talking with a resentment of hate towards whites.. most white people are sick of hearing they are the racists.. yes, better look at the truth of it all, there is black resentment to white people who never did a darn thing against a black.
"A black". Lol.

That said, yes there are racist black people who hate white people too. But the general societal trend is that white people within America are on the receiving end of a general set of positive assumptions that other groups aren't. Black-on-White racism isn't institutionalized the way White-on-Black racism is. Black-on-White racism within the U.S. isn't backed up by a history of slavery and segregation the way White-on-Black racism is. Apples and oranges.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,475 times
Quote:
I missed this post.

You are somehow under the impression that because both reach the same end result that there was no preferential treatment.

That's like saying if one person walks from New York to Los Angeles, and another person flies from JFK to LAX, they made the same journey.

Because that's exactly what's happening. Those that don't benefit from AA, aka white American males, are making the journey solely on foot. Whereas some others are given a completely free ride, while others walk part of the way, and take a plane or train for a few hundred miles in the middle.

Unless you made the entire journey on foot, you didn't make the same journey as the guy who did.

....and those minority kids "working their ass off" to go to school aren't working nearly as hard as the poor white kid who gets no breaks whatsoever. For example.... UNCF

Whatever happened 50 to 200 years ago is in the past. FIFTY YEARS of affirmative action is enough. We, as in my demographic, white Americans, need to stand up and demand it ends. Things are tough all over. Nobody should be getting a leg up unless they earn it. What your great grandfather had to go through in his life does not equate to earning squat.
But it is still happening today.

Black and you have coke... jail.
White and you have coke... no jail.

All this is proven. Facts.

Now the blacks get out of jail and can't get jobs.

Of course, they should not have had the coke in the first place... can't deny that...

There are many issues that need to be fixed in the black community, but gov't has a role... to say "things are equal 'cause we have a black president" is pretty stupid. A President is just that... a President of the United States. All the people. Nothing much has nor will change because we have a black president.

In the news now, those kids beat up and killed a black man. Dude laughted about and said, "I ran that ****** over." Ha, ha, ha....

That is what he did... laughed about it.

Racism is still here.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
These slave states were competing with global cotton production.

Or, maybe they were comprised of greedy crackers.

They all had to do it, or go broke trying to compete with those who did.

We have that same "business dynamic" with China, right now.

So, we either convert to slavery, or die.

The 14th Amendment nationalized slavery.
The ruling classes, the driving force of imperialism, were divided: Some saw the democratic reforms, "citizenship", as a means of raising mass conscriptions for imperial wars;

Imperialism And Democracy

Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
A friend of mine tried to join a softball team in El Paso some years ago.

He was told it was a Hispanics only team.

He started his Anglo only team and was sued for discrimination.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
For the same reason that it is totally acceptable to have a spanish club, asian club, black student union, and any other pro minority club at a high school in this country, yet it would be unacceptable to have a white student union or aryan club.

Oh wait.... I'd better shuffle back off to Stormfront.
Better polish those boots mister if you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies