Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah I did see that actually. Agreed. Teach a man to fish etc etc.
Yes, teach a man to fish. But if he is too poor to get to the lake or buy a fishing pole, that skill won't go very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 AM

529 posts, read 363,769 times
AIPAC would be the first to go.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
These slave states were competing with global cotton production.

Or, maybe they were comprised of greedy crackers.

They all had to do it, or go broke trying to compete with those who did.

We have that same "business dynamic" with China, right now.

So, we either convert to slavery, or die.

The 14th Amendment nationalized slavery.
Wow you really need to take some history classes. No, "they" all did not have to do it. As a matter of fact, at the height of slavery in the south of the US, most other countries had long abolished the act of owning other humans.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with this. I also think, in many areas, it is more of a class vs. race issue.
'Class' is a tricky thing. Gated communities are a double edged sword they ultimately find themselves burdened by. A self imposed cage & rigid myopic existence is also handy for outsiders to reverse the barbed wire to defend free society from nutters.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I see no reason why she wouldn't be deported with the rest of the illegals. Men's rights groups should get right on that. All of womankind are anchor babies ruining the patriarchy.
Huh???

Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
'Class' is a tricky thing. Gated communities are a double edged sword they ultimately find themselves burdened by. A self imposed cage & rigid myopic existence is also handy for outsiders to reverse the barbed wire to defend free society from nutters.
Gee I live in a "gated" community
The farm gate is closed at the driveway and I have perimeter barbed wire.
The animals inside do live a myopic existence though..all they are concerned with is the grass in the pasture and some grain in the evening and that their water buckets are full.

I also have a community clubhouse (barn) where everyone comes to feast and mingle every night at 7:00 pm

Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow you really need to take some history classes. No, "they" all did not have to do it. As a matter of fact, at the height of slavery in the south of the US, most other countries had long abolished the act of owning other humans.
I asked a local farmer why he was injecting his cows with the hormones and antibiotics when he knew it was a bad thing to do.

He said that his neighbor across the way did it, causing his cows to weigh a lot more, and that if he didn't also do it, his neighbor would end up owning his farm.

Ya just gots ta do da evil de others do, or da evil will do ya in, man.

Dat's an economic dynamical peer conformity of de market.

Adam Smith didn't cover this.

Is it any surprise to anyone that Americans have taken on the looks and behavior of America's farm animals?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post

Right about now, in 2011, I'd have to say the playing field has been leveled. Sure, there are plenty who will not hire some, based on their race. .......but then again, that's universal. Black owned businesses tend to hire more blacks, Hispanic owned businesses hire more Hispanics, and sorry, but I have yet to see an Asian small business that hires anyone but Asians. Those business owners or corporations led by folks of European descent in fact tend to be the most impartial. Thoughts?

I can relate to that. Ten years ago I moved to a city with a large Asian population and when I went looking for fast food/restaurant jobs, I found several businesses run by Asians which had (at the times I visited) no jobs available and only Asian employees visible. As I returned to the fast food outlets several times over a period of several months with the same result every time, it appeared likely that these restaurants had their own network of potential employees and that middle-aged whites were not in the pool of potential employees..

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I can relate to that. Ten years ago I moved to a city with a large Asian population and when I went looking for fast food/restaurant jobs, I found several businesses run by Asians which had (at the times I visited) no jobs available and only Asian employees visible. As I returned to the fast food outlets several times over a period of several months with the same result every time, it appeared likely that these restaurants had their own network of potential employees and that middle-aged whites were not in the pool of potential employees..
Not just Asian restaurants. Go into any fast food place.
Management and the workers are usually all of the same race.
Not 100% but a good 80-90%. That is one thing I've noticed.

And at one in particular the manager changed (Black and then Hispanic) and slowly over time the staff changed as well to all Hispanic.

It is the way it is. I'm not being racist in any way; just telling what I see.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
For the same reason that it is totally acceptable to have a spanish club, asian club, black student union, and any other pro minority club at a high school in this country, yet it would be unacceptable to have a white student union or aryan club.

Oh wait.... I'd better shuffle back off to Stormfront.
Probably because most ethnic clubs (European, African, Latino, Asian) involve learning, food, cultural presentations, etc...

Aryan clubs scapegoat anyone not like them for their problems, and promote violence. Most people hadn't heard of Aryans before WW2, then being used in Nazi Germany and the Aryan Nations in the US during the 1980s. That semantic use of Aryans (not Caucasians) as a race pretty much sums up where you are coming from. The only people who have referred to themselves as "Aryan" since the mid 1940's are bigots and violent thugs.

Big F'ing difference in action. Thank you for going back to where you belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies