Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

our government still has a few tricks up its sleeve:

US eyes blackout of 'rogue websites' — RT

our freedoms are slowly disappearing if anyone is paying attention.

gobal warming legislation is another step in that direction.

so is this:

Just a few days ago, an appeals court action in Florida was reported by the Free Republic and St. Petersburg Times reporters William R. Levesque and Iron Munro “to have cleared the way for Hillsborough Judge Richard Nielsen to use Islamic law to decide a key issue in a lawsuit involving a local mosque.” Can you believe that in OUR America one of our theoretically all American judges is abandoning the constitutional oath he took on becoming a judge and wants to base his ruling on Shariah Law - traitorously against his own people here in America? Contempt for this deserter of our Constitution is in order.

there are foxes in the henhouse, and they are now eating the chickens. note that it is the same foxes that advocate the "global warming" agenda, cap and trade, and enrichment of goldman sachs as the gatekeepers to cap and trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 AM

329 posts, read 267,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not the way it works. Sites like this where there is user generated content have some very specific rights under the "Safe harbor " provision in the DMCA that protects them from the actions of the users. The copyright owner of the original content would have to file a DMCA notice to which the owner/host of the site can either respond by taking down the content or denying the claim. If they deny the claim only then could they be held liable and the recourse for the copyright owner would be to file a civil complaint in court.

FYI anyone can file one of these notices however if it's found you do not have rights to the material be aware the consequences can be severe.
Sorry, error on my part: I said ISP instead of hosting company. However, It's possible for the hosting company to shut down a content provider e.g. city-data.com until the offending post issue is resolved.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
However, It's possible for the hosting company to shut down a content provider e.g. city-data.com until the offending post issue is resolved.
The host may do that but they would first have to be served with DMCA notice and most are going to give the site a chance to rectify the situation without shutting them down, they aren't going to just pull the plug and if you have a host like that it's time to get another host. As I mentioned the consequences for filing false DMCA can be severe so these will be legitimate claims most of the time and any site is going to comply. Actually most will rectified through normal correspondence for responsible content providers without getting the host involved.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

so is this:

Just a few days ago, an appeals court action in Florida was reported by the Free Republic and St. Petersburg Times reporters William R. Levesque and Iron Munro “to have cleared the way for Hillsborough Judge Richard Nielsen to use Islamic law to decide a key issue in a lawsuit involving a local mosque.” Can you believe that in OUR America one of our theoretically all American judges is abandoning the constitutional oath he took on becoming a judge and wants to base his ruling on Shariah Law - traitorously against his own people here in America? Contempt for this deserter of our Constitution is in order.

there are foxes in the henhouse, and they are now eating the chickens. note that it is the same foxes that advocate the "global warming" agenda, cap and trade, and enrichment of goldman sachs as the gatekeepers to cap and trade.
Are you the author of the bit in bold? If not, don't you think that you should attribute a source to it?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The host may do that but they would first have to be served with DMCA notice and most are going to give the site a chance to rectify the situation without shutting them down, they aren't going to just pull the plug and if you have a host like that it's time to get another host. As I mentioned the consequences for filing false DMCA can be severe so these will be legitimate claims most of the time and any site is going to comply. Actually most will rectified through normal correspondence for responsible content providers without getting the host involved.
Don't get me wrong TC: I'm not arguing with you, what you say is basically correct but the choice of whether a site gets shut down or not depends on the hosting company. Posters who breach copyright do put this site a risk.

I have personal experience as someone posted a comment on a site that I'm a mod on, the host received a DMCA notice and shut down the site immediately. Of course we removed the offending content (actually it turned out that the complainant had ripped off the content from another site and was just trying an extortion scam, but I digress) and service was resumed, but since then we're much stricter about un-attributed copyright protected content.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow! Why all the anger? You really do not like to be proven wrong do you? Global warming is a fact, and it has been proven to you over and over again.
No anger at all, just no tolerance for obvious ignorance and political banter.

You have a short memory as well. We had a discussion on the issue, you asked me your questions, I explained them only for you to return and ask the same question again of me.

Why is that?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Boy people just lap up everything these days.

The co-author of that "study" reveals that yet again, people have been misled by what was written and states that the climate change is at a standstill. There's even a graph for those who don't comprehend what they read.

Enjoy.

Best Confirms Global Temperature Standstill (http://thegwpf.org/the-observatory/4230-best-confirms-global-temperature-standstill.html - broken link)

Scientists who said climate change sceptics had been proved wrong accused of hiding truth by colleague | Mail Online
See:

//www.city-data.com/forum/21504340-post11.html

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

so is this:

And as long as progressives have anything to say about it...that trend will continue. The sooner the voters wake up to what is happening in front of their own eyes....the sooner this country gets back on track. It starts next November...if Obama gets another 4 years...then the freedom loving people of this country will be sorry.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
GnT this is what you claimed:

First you ask me to look at the chemical composition of the atmosphere. OK done that. Water vapour 0.4%, CO2 0.039%, other trace gases, so CO2 = 0.039/0.439 = 8.8% by composition. Close enough to 5% so I'll give you that.
You aren't "giving me" anything. You insinuated that my statement about the 95/5 water vapor to CO2 was not correct. It was. And you should have taken 30 seconds to verify that on your own, but you didn't. Intellectual "laziness" is what that demonstrates.

Quote:
Now in the bit above you've shown a pie chart showing a 95% figure. What's the title of the chart... "Contributions to the "Greenhouse Effect" expressed as % of total."

Now look at the note attached to the chart: "Contributions" are defined as concentrations adjusted for GWP (Global warming Potential, relative to CO2).

Now this is your chart so obviously you endorse it. This chart shows that CO2 has a Greenhouse Effect. How do you renconcile it with:
Rather than address salient points, you search and scour for some place to hang your hat, when you should be hanging your head instead. "My Chart" was simply to give you the breakdown on alleged greenhouse gas composition by constituent gases.

The simple reference to CO2 or Water Vapor as "Greenhouse Gases" doesn't in any way shape or form "show" either one to actually produce a Greenhouse effect. In fact, GWP ("Global Warming Potential") is a clue .... do you know the definition of "Potential" ?

Quote:
And you still haven't said which temperature indice you are using.
You shouldn't be smiling ... this FACT has been pointed out repeatedly, while met with a lot of rather lame attempts to divert or explain ... (such as "faulty Satellite Measurements") ... etc., Tropospheric temperature records show an undeniable fluctuation, up and down, irrespective of the slow but consistent increases in atmospheric CO2 levels during the 20th century, which is the period claimed to be experiencing AGW. Unfortunately, the AGW model predicts temperatures in the Troposphere would be increasing more than surface temperatures, but they aren't.

Here is a chart showing those fluctuations - look at the portion labeled SOI Effect on Global Temperatures: Still Waiting For Greenhouse

Many AGW proponents don't dispute this, because it is documented. They usually choose to try to explain it away. Others rely on older, already defeated arguments simply because they don't even understand what they are arguing.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How warm should the earth be?

My understanding is that throughout most of the earth's history the average temperature was around 10C warmer then it is today.

Perhaps it is not now quite warm enough, and we should hope for more global warming in the future.

Edit: Yikes, I've found there is such a thing called the climate optimum, which is a few degree warmer then it is today! If the name means anything, let's all hope this earth doesn't stop warming for at least a few more decades yet!
Yes indeed, because current temps put us only slightly ahead of the temps during the little ice-age. I'd like to be more them 0.5 degrees warmer the the LIA era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies